How to make the perfect chia seed pudding recipe! A basic recipe with an easy-to-use and remember ratio for this vanilla chia pudding.
Made with unsweetened almond milk or other plant based milk of your choice, fresh strawberry and homemade strawberry puree and lots of ideas to customize this dessert to any taste.
Make chia pudding for breakfast or your little cravings of the day, this recipe is healthy, gluten-free with natural sugar, and also suitable for vegan.
Have you heard of chia pudding, a very intriguing and trendy dessert in the world of healthy food? It is called chia pudding because it is made of these small chia seeds native to Mexico and cultivated by the Mayans and Aztecs.
Chia seeds are very popular because they have multiple virtues which makes it a superfood with nutritional health benefits.
This seed mixed with liquid like almond milk or coconut milk swells and doubles in volume and its dry texture becomes gelatinous, giving this mixture the appearance of a pudding.
This almond milk vanilla chia pudding recipe is very easy to make and is a perfect snack to boost your energy while making you feel satisfied.
Chia pudding recipes are perfect for breakfast snack with an endless choice of toppings. Enjoy this chia pudding topped with fresh strawberry add fruits compote, oatmeal, granola, nut butter, …. !
Why we love this recipe
Widely used in healthy food recipes, chia seed have multiple virtues, which makes it a superfood with a lot of nutritional benefits for your health :
- High in fiber - for a better intestinal transit, controlling blood sugar and reducing blood pressure.
- Source of protein - ideal for vegan diets.
- Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids : which contributes to a better cardiovascular health.
- Antioxidants - helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Source of energy (vitamine c) - to stay in shape, they were very used by the Aztecs.
And so many other benefits for the body that will make you never again be able to be without chia seed. I love this recipe, chia pudding is perfect and like me you will always have a jar in your cupboards !
Chia pudding ratio
The ratio is very important to get that perfect vanilla chia seed pudding texture. And fortunately, it is quite simple to remember :
1 tablespoon of chia seed for 50 ml of milk
By keeping in mind this simple ratio you can easily make chia pudding recipe in individual glass jars. The perfect amount for a large mason jar would be 2 tablespoons for 100 ml of milk.
And you can add anything you like to make it more tasty, dark chocolate, bananas, blueberries, spices, nut butter etc...
And you can eat this chia pudding cold but also hot, by simply heating it in the microwave or in a pan, and why not added to oatmeal for example.
Ingredients and recipes variations
- Chia seeds: Source of high fiber, calcium and good fat for cardiovascular health. These chia seeds are magic, they swell in contact with the liquid and double in volume. In addition to being a healthy product it is also a natural appetite suppressant, perfect as part of a diet to lose weight. Also in addition to being a great product, this chia seeds are gluten free !
- Plant based milk: I used my homemade almond milk, but you can choose another plant based milk, like canned coconut milk, oat milk or use dairy milk if you are not on a dairy-free diet.
- Natural sugar: Maple syrup or honey are natural sugars that provide extra flavor. But you can also use unrefined powdered sugar such as cane sugar or coconut sugar. Just be sure to stir well to dissolve it into the mixture.
- Fruits puree: I chose the strawberry which goes with everything, but you are free to make the puree with the fruit of your choice, raspberries, berries, mangoes, homemade applesauce etc. Use frozen fruit instead to make homemade compote.
- Vanilla extract: Use vanilla extract or vanilla bean seeds to flavor the basic pudding recipe.
- Fresh fruits: Here I chose fresh strawberries and raspberry, use chill seasonal and organic fruits ! Like bananas, mangoes or blueberries.
- Nuts: Add almonds, pecans etc.
- Granola or muesli: Try my super healthy homemade granola recipe, or add organic oatmeal.
- Butter nuts: like my recipe for Almond butter, peanut butter, or my recipe for healthy chocolate nut spread
- Cocoa powder: For a version of chocolate chia pudding or add somes chocolate chips.
How to Make Chia Seed pudding with strawberry
- In a medium bowl or in glass jars, place ¼ cup of chia seeds, almond milk and maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Mix with a tablespoon, cover with cling film and place in the fridge overnight or at least for 2 hours so that the chia seeds absorb the liquid and the mixture thickens.
- Your vanilla chia pudding ready to eat, enjoy your vanilla chia pudding topped with fresh fruits.
Tip: Make this almond vanilla chia pudding recipe overnight in the fridge so the chia seed has time to rest and has a nice pudding texture.
- Place frozen strawberries and powdered sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat this mixture over low heat for about 10-15 minutes, until the mixture is pureed.
- Mash the strawberries with the back of a fork until you have a compote.
Place the homemade strawberry compote in a container and let cool completely.
Tip: Use preferably frozen strawberries to make a homemade compote, you can add a little natural sugar like maple syrup or leave the natural sugar of the fruit.
This recipe keeps for up to 5 days in the fridge, make it in batches and place in a container with a lid, or in mason jars to have ready-to-eat vanilla chia pudding.
You'll always have fresh chia pudding on hand to make a quick snack with your toppings.
3 Tips for this recipe
- Find the right ratio of chia seeds to almond milk to get the perfect texture for you. Start with the ratio mentioned above of 2 tbsp per 100 ml of milk. And if the texture seems too thick or less then adjust the amount of chia seeds.
- Stir sufficiently after adding the chia seeds to avoid lumps. And if necessary, during the resting period, stir from time to time.
- Let the mixture sit for at least 2 hours or ideally overnight, the time it takes for the chia seeds to absorb moisture and gel to get that perfect pudding texture.
More healthy recipes
- Sesame seed and chocolate chip cookies
- Homemade chocolate almond milk
- Vanilla chai tea latte
- Green juice detox
You will also like
- Lemon poppy seed pound cake with lemon glaze
- Frangipane almond cream filling
- Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- Crunchy chocolate granola
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print