How to make a delicious homemade matcha latte with this quick and easy recipe made with only 3 basic ingredients and as delicious as this Vanilla chai latte recipe.
This drink is creamy and flavorful and loaded with super powerful antioxidants.
Why you'll love this recipe
Matcha is a fine green powder, mainly made of finely ground tea leaves, which is widely used in Japan to make traditional matcha tea and other recipes.
To make a matcha latte at home we first mix the powdered green tea with water and then we add the milk which gives a delicious and creamy green tea drink with multiple benefits for the body.
Matcha tea has a slightly bitter taste which is why it's used a lot in sweet recipes, like matcha lattes, Iced matcha latte, strawberry Matcha latte it's also used a lot in cakes, bread, ice cream, and smoothie recipes.
What we like in homemade matcha green tea latte recipes is to be able to enjoy the maximum of its benefits, like choosing a good quality matcha powder and especially to have a more natural drink than the Starbucks matcha latte or other coffee shop matcha lattes, which are often loaded with to much sugar.
More latte recipes
Benefits of matcha powder
Usually, we drink green tea bags infused with water, while with a matcha tea latte, we will directly eat the green tea leaf, which is why its benefits are up to 10 times more powerful for the body.
- Antioxidant power: prevents cell aging.
- Good for the brain: Improves attention, and memory, reduces stress level.
- Good for the heart: Reduces bad cholesterol, and risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Helps weight loss: Increases thermogenesis (fat burning).
Ingredients and substitutions
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make your own matcha latte recipe at home, scroll down to see the quantities in the recipe card.
Which grade of Matcha green tea powder to choose?
- Ceremonial grade: This is the best high quality matcha and also the most expensive, ceremonial grade matcha powder is the one used to make ceremonial tea in Japan, it has a more vibrant green color and a milder flavor almost without bitterness.
- Premium grade: or latte grade, more available in Anglo-Saxon countries, with a slightly bitter taste but used more in drinks for lattes, milkshakes etc.
- Culinary grade: A darker color, a more affordable price and a slightly more bitter flavor, but perfect in the kitchen for pastries.
Which milk to use and non dairy milk options?
To make a good matcha latte it's advisable to use creamy milk like cow's milk or whole milk, for a dairy version you can use coconut milk, soy milk, oat milk, or almond milk.
How do I sweeten and flavor my latte?
The sugar is in my opinion essential to sweeten the bitterness of green matcha tea powder, especially if you use a lower-quality grade.
It is always best to add a liquid sugar such as maple syrup or honey, but you can also add coconut sugar, in addition to a bit of vanilla extract for flavoring.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make a Matcha tea latte recipe
Mix the matcha powder
- Place one teaspoon of matcha green tea powder in a small bowl and add the hot water.
- Stir with a fork or special whisk to dilute the powder in the liquid until no lumps remain.
Tip: To dilute the fine powder of matcha green tea properly and avoid lumps, first sift the ground green tea leaves before mixing it with hot water and use the bamboo whisk to disperse the powder well.
Add the milk
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, sugar and vanilla extract until simmering.
- Pour the hot milk mixture into a glass or cup.
- Then add the diluted matcha green tea mixture.
- Stir the mixture and enjoy.
Tip: Froth the milk with a milk frother, or use steamed milk for a creamier, more delicious drink.
FAQ - Frequently asked questions
This drink made with green tea has many health benefits which makes it a great and healthy drink.
Matcha green tea contains caffeine but in smaller quantities than coffee.
According to the grade of matcha green tea powder you use the taste can be slightly more or less earthy and bitter.
For the iced version, simply add ice cubes to your glass and add cold milk with the liquid matcha mixture.
Matcha tea latte can only be kept in the fridge for about 2-4 days, you can make the recipe in advance and keep it in the fridge in a small bottle with a lid.
All you have to do is reheat the preparation or simply add your hot milk to the diluted matcha tea mixture.
You also love
- Iced Mocha latte
- Dalgona iced coffee
- Homemade hot chocolate
- Vanilla iced coffee
- Golden milk latte with turmeric
- Iced Chai latte
- Iced pumpkin spice latte
- Tiramisu latte
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print