Recipe for easy and soft makrout dates filled semolina cookies (for about 25-30 makrout)
- 500 g Medium wheat semolina
- 160 g sweet butter (melted)
- 100 g water
- 30 g orange blossom water
- 1 pinch salt
- 300 g Date paste
- 10 g Butter (melted )
- 1 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (liquid)
- 250 ml honey
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water
- Start by placing the medium wheat semolina in a large bowl.
- Then add the melted butter and mix with your hands to incorporate it well.
- Cover with a cloth and let rest for at least 1 hour.
- Finally add the other ingredients, the water, the orange blossom water and the pinch of salt and mix with your hands until you obtain a smooth dough (be careful not to work the dough too much as it may lose its texture, you should be able to feel the grains of semolina).
- Cover the dough and let it rest while you prepare the stuffing.
- Use date paste or pitted and mixed fresh dates.
- Mix together the date paste with the orange blossom water and vanilla and let it rest in the chill for about 30 minutes.
- Take one half of the dough and form a sausage of about 25 cm long.
- Dig into the center of the sausage with your fingers.
- Incorporate in the hollow the date paste and close the semolina paste on the date paste to enclose it in the center.
- Roll the dough roll with the date paste in the center again to smooth it out and stretch it out a bit until it is about 5 - 6 cm in diameter.
- Use the date stamp to mark the makrout or flatten the roll with your hands and cut out diamonds.
- Place your makrouts on a baking sheet and let them rest for about 20 minutes.
- Use a deep fryer or a frying pan filled with neutral oil to cook the makrout until they are golden brown.
- Place the fried makrout on paper towels.
- Heat the honey with the orange blossom water in a small saucepan.
- Dip the makrouts in the mixture for a few minutes, then let them drain on a cake rack to allow the excess honey to drip off.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: cakes, cookies
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- Calories: 152
- Sugar: 13
- Sodium: 41
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 12
Keywords: Date filled semolina, Makroud, Makrout, Semolina cookies