Recipe for strawberry Angel food cake, an light and fluffy sponge cake with an airy texture, with homemade whipped cream and fresh strawberries (for a 8 - 10 inch flutted pan - 8 - 10 parts)
Cake batter :
- 250 g (2 cups) Sugar - super fine
- 9 - 10 egg whites - room temperature - about 300 g
- 100 g (1 cup) Cake flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cream of tartar or lemon juice or vinegar
- 2 teaspoons liquid vanilla extract
Whipped cream :
- 200 ml (1 cup) Heavy cream - full fat
- 2-3 tbsp. confectionner's sugar
- Fresh strawberries
Angel food cake :
- Start by mixing half the sugar with the cake flour and sifting it at least twice.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat on medium speed until frothy.
- Add the vanilla extract, cream of tartar, and pinch of salt and beat on medium-high speed.
- Add the other half of the sugar one tablespoon at a time every 40 - 50 seconds to the mixture while keeping the mixer running on medium speed.
- Then increase speed to high and beat for a few minutes (about 5 minutes) until you have a meringue with stiff peaks.
- Add the flour mixture to the meringue in 4-5 additions and mix gently between each addition with a soft spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and pour the cake batter into the tube pan without greasing or lining it.
- Bake for about 30 - 45 minutes until the cake is golden on top.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it upside down on a work surface and let it cool completely for at least 1 hour.
- When cool, run a toothless knife around the inside and outside edges of the tube pan to release the cake from the pan and place it on a serving plate.
- In a medium bowl, place the cold heavy cream with the confectionner’s sugar and mix with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes at medium speed until you get a firm whipped cream.
- Serve the cake with the whipped cream, fresh strasberries and some icing sugar.
Conservation: about 3 to 5 days at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert, cake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 28.9 g
- Sodium: 285.9 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.3 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 11.5 mg
Keywords: angel food cake, strawberries angel food cake, angel food cake with strawberries, strawberry angel food cake