Cake pops recipe with vanilla cake, candy melts and sugar decorations (for about 20 cake pops)
Vanilla cake :
- 130 g (1 cup) flour - cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of liquid vanilla extract
- 125 g (1/2 cup) Sugar - granulated
- 85 g (1/3 cup) butter - softened
- 110 g (1/3 cup) buttermilk - or semi-skimmed milk
- 115 g (1/3 cup) mascarpone cheese or cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. icing sugar
- 250 g (9 oz) candy melt
- Sugar sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 320° F / 160°C and line the bottom of a 6 inch / 15 cm round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients, cake flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
- In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to mix the softened butter with the powdered sugar for 2 minutes until you have a smooth mixture.
- Then add the eggs and liquid vanilla extract and mix again for 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately and mix with a spatula between each addition until you have a smooth cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 30 - 35 minutes until golden on top. (Check for doneness by plunging a toothpick or knife blade into the center of the cake, it should come out clean or with light crumbs)
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan before unmolding.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Crumble the cooled vanilla cake into a large bowl until it is a fine powder.
- Add the mascarpone and icing sugar.
- With your hands, mix until you have a compact and sticky dough (if it is too sticky, put it in the fridge for 20 minutes).
- Form cake balls between your hands and place them on a large dish.
- Place in the fridge for 20 minutes or in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the candy melt in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Dip a lollipop stick into the melted candy melt and insert it into the center of the cake ball.
- Smooth excess candy melt around the stick and repeat for all cake pops.
- Dip the entire cake ball into the melted candy melt, then remove and stir to release excess candy melt.
- Immediately decorate with sprinkles and other sugar decorations.
- Then place the cake pop on a cake pop stand.
Storage: 2-3 days at room temperature and up to 1 week in the refrigerator. You can also keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: cake, cake pops
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cake pops, pop cakes