A delicious recipe for braided chocolate babka filled with chocolate sauce. (for a 10 inches /25 cm long loaf pan 8 - 10 parts approx.)
- 285 g (2 cups) flour -all-purpose
- 40 g (1/4 cup) sugar - granulated
- 1 egg - large at room temperature
- 2 tsp Instan yeast
- 100 g (1/3 cup) milk - lukewarm
- 50 g (1/4 cup) Butter - unsalted and softened
- 1 pinch salt
- 120 g (2/3 cup - 4,25 oz) Chocolate - semi-sweet
- 50 g (1/4 cup) butter - unsalted and softened
- 1 tbsp brown sugar - about 25g
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder - unsweetened - about 10 g
- Rehydrate the dry yeast by pouring it into the warm milk and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Place the flour, sugar, salt and egg in the bowl of your stand mixer and mix with the hook.
- Then add the yeast gradually while letting the mixer run at medium speed for about 3 minutes.
- Finish by adding the butter and continue to knead for 5 minutes, the dough will loosen from the sides, it should be a little elastic and a little sticky.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave it to rise at room temperature for 1 hour, the dough will double in volume.
Dark chocolate filling
- Heat the chocolate, sugar and butter in a bain-marie and set aside.
Assembly and bake the chocolate babka
- Degas the dough and crush it with your hands on a floured work surface.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangle, then spread a good layer of chocolate filling.
- Roll the dough out across its width to make a long dough roll.
- Then divide the dough lengthwise with a knife.
- Braid the 2 strips of dough and place the braided bun in a loaf cake pan covered with baking paper.
- Let your dough grow again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 356°F / 180°C
- Mix an egg in a little milk and using a pastry brush, brush the top of your babka brioche.
- Bake the babka for 20-30 minutes.
Storage: Up to 1 week at room temperature in a covered storage box or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Replace dry baker's yeast with 25 g fresh baker's yeast.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: bread, cake, Dessert
- Cuisine: Polish
- Calories: 224
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 26
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 35
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 19
Keywords: Babka, babka cake, chocolate babka, chocolate bread, krantz cake