Make these chocolate cake pops from scratch with a moist chocolate cake and chocolate frosting (perfect if you have leftover cakes) for around 20 cake pops.
- 75 g (2/3 cup) Cake flour
- 27 g (1/4 cup) Cocoa powder - unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (4 g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 54 g (1/4 cup) Vegetable oil - sunflower oil
- 100 g (1/2 cup) Sugar - granulated
- 1 Egg - medium at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 64 g (1/4 cup) Milk
- 57 g (2/3 cup) Black coffee - cooled
- 90 g (1/3 cup) Cream cheese - or mascarpone cheese
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder - unsweetened
- 1 tbsp Powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 200 g (7 oz) chocolate - semi-sweet or bittersweet
- Preheat the oven to 329°F/ 165°C and prepare a 6 - 8 inch (15/20 cm) round cake pan lined with parchment paper on the bottom only.
- In a bowl, mix and sift together the dry ingredients, cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, mix the milk with the cooled black coffee.
- Place the vegetable oil and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, beating again for 3 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk/coffee mixture alternately and in batches, incorporating them gently with a spatula or hand whisk until the mixture is smooth and liquid.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for approx. 20-25 minutes until done. (Check for even baking by plunging a toothpick into the center or the blade of a knife, which should come out with a few crumbs and not liquid batter).
- Leave the chocolate sponge cake to cool completely.
In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients - cream cheese, cocoa powder, powdered sugar and vanilla - until you have a creamy frosting.
Making the chocolate cake pops
- Place the cooled chocolate cake in a large bowl and crumble with your fingers until you have a fine powder with no lumps.
- Add the chocolate frosting and mix with a spoon until you have a compact, slightly sticky mixture.
- Form the cake pop batter into cake balls and roll in your hands until smooth and well-rounded.
- Place the cake balls in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave or double boiler until smooth and fluid.
- Dip the end of a cake pop stick into the melted chocolate, then insert it into the center of a chocolate cake ball and repeat for all the other cake balls.
- Place the chocolate cake pops in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Reheat the dark chocolate and place in a deep bowl.
- Dip the cake pops completely into the chocolate, then shake off any excess.
- Decorate with sprinkles or sugar pearls, and place upright on a cake pop stand or upside down on a sheet of parchment paper until completely cooled.