A delicious chocolate raspberry cake made from a moist buttermilk chocolate cake layer filled with a fruity raspberry filling, chocolate ganache and chocolate drip (for a 6 inches / 15 cm diameter cake, 8-10 slices).
- 225 g (1 3/4 cups) Cake flour
- 80 g (2/3 cup) Cocoa powder - unsweetened
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 160 ml (3/4 cup) Vegetable oil - grapeseed or sunflower oil
- 345 g (1 3/4 cups) Sugar - granulated
- 3 Eggs - room temperature approx. 165 g
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 190 ml (3/4 cup) Buttermilk
- 170 ml (3/4 cup) Black coffee - cooled
Raspberry cake filling
Make my raspberry compote recipe
- 400 g (2 1/2 cups - 14 0z) Chocolate chips - semi-sweet
- 450 ml (2 cups) Heavy Cream - full fat
- 80 g (1/2 cup) Chocolate chips - semi-sweet
- 80 g (1/3 cup) Heavy cream - full fat
- Preheat the oven to 329°F/165°C° and line 3 6 inches/ 15 cm-diameter baking pans with parchment paper (if you only have one pan, plan to bake the mixture in 3 batches).
- In a bowl, mix and sift together the dry ingredients: cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk and cooled black coffee and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, mix the oil with the sugar, then add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix for at least 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk and coffee mixture alternately and in batches, mixing with a rubber spatula until you have a smooth, slightly liquid batter.
- Divide the mixture into 3 and distribute into the 3 prepared pans, then bake in the oven for around 30-35 minutes until puffed on top and cooked through in the center.
- Take the chocolate cakes out of the pans and leave them to cool for a few minutes before unmolding, then cool completely on a wire rack.
Follow my recipe for raspberry compote.
- Finely break or chop the chocolate and place in a large bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate all at once and leave for a few moments.
- Mix with a hand whisk or spatula until you have a smooth, lump-free liquid ganache (use a hand blender if necessary to smooth the ganache).
- Cover on contact and place in the fridge for 2-3 hours, until the ganache is at around 71°F / 22°C.
- Whip the cooled ganache with an electric mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment for about 2 minutes at medium speed until you obtain a smooth ganache.
- In a double boiler or in the microwave, melt the chopped chocolate with the heavy cream until you have a liquid glaze.
- Allow to cool at room temperature to 32°C before using on the cake.
Assemble the cake
- Cut out the bumps on the 3 cakes using a cake leveler or large saw knife.
- Place the first layer of chocolate cake on a cake board placed on a cake decorating turntable.
- If necessary, apply a ring of chocolate ganache to the outer edges of the cake, then fill the inside with the raspberry filling.
- Place a second layer of cake and repeat this last step for the remaining layers of cake.
- Cover the whole cake with a thin layer of chocolate ganache, and spread with an angled spatula to seal in the crumbs. If necessary, place the cake in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Apply a new layer of chocolate ganache to the cake and smooth it with icing smoother.
- Drizzle the runny chocolate glaze over the top of the cake and decorate with fresh raspberries.
- Place in the fridge for about 1 hour before serving.
Storage: Up to 4-5 days in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.
- I don't recommend lowering the sugar content, as this is important for the cake's softness.
- Replace buttermilk with plain yogurt lighlty diluted with semi-skimmed milk, or use milk mixed with a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice.
- Replace coffee with water.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: cake, layer cake, dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate and raspberry cake, dark chocolate raspberry cake, raspberry chocolate cake, chocolate raspberry cake, chocolate raspberry ganache cake, chocolate cake with raspberry filing