Strawberry chocolate cake recipe, rich and moist chocolate sponge cake with a chocolate whipped ganache frosting and strawberries (for a 6 inch/ 15 cm cake 8-10 slices)
Chocolate sponge cake :
- 225 g (1 1/2 cups) Flour - all-purpose
- 345 g ( 1 1/2 cups) Sugar - powdered
- 80 g (3/4 cup) Cocoa powder - unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda - approx. 6 g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder - approx. 6 g
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - about 3 g
- 3 eggs - at room temperature
- 160 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil - sunflower or grape seed oil
- 190 ml (2/3 cup) Buttermilk - or plain yogurt or sour cream
- 170 ml (2/3 cup) Coffee or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Whipped chocolate ganache
- 400 g (14 oz) baking chocolate - semi-sweet
- 400 ml (13 1/2 oz - 1 1/3 cup) heavy cream - full fat
- 400 ml (13 1/2 oz - 1 1/3 cup) heavy cream - full fat at room temperature
- 200 g (1 cup) fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 329°F / 165°C and line three 6 inch/ 15 cm diameter round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix and sift together the dry ingredients, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix the eggs with the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and oil with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes until the mixture is pale and smooth.
- Add the buttermilk and black coffee and mix again with a mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients in batches and gently fold in with a hand whisk until the mixture is smooth and lump-free.
- Divide the mixture into 3 and pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake the 3 pans together for 35 minutes or if you only have one pan then bake in 3 batches for about 20 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick by plunging it into the center of the cake, it should come out clean or with crumbs.
- Let the cake cool a little in the pan before removing from the pan and cooling completely upside down on a cooling rack.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Whipped chocolate ganache
- Cut or finely chop the chocolate and place it in a bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave until it is completely melted.
- Place 400 ml of heavy cream in a saucepan and heat it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Pour the hot cream over the melted chocolate in batches and stir between each addition with a spatula to make the emulsion and until it is smooth.
- Pour in the 400 ml of room temperature heavy cream and mix again to incorporate it.
- Blend with an immersion blender if necessary to smooth the ganache and remove any lumps.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge overnight (at least 6 hours).
Assembly and decoration
- Cut the bump of each cake layers to have even levels with a cake leveller or a large knife.
- Beat the cold ganache with an electric mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment at medium speed for about 3 minutes until you have a smooth, firm texture.
- Fill a pastry bag with the whipped ganache.
- Place the first layer of chocolate cake on a cake board and on your turntable.
- Cover with the ganache frosting and place pieces of strawberries in the center and cover again with the chocolate frosting.
- Place the second layer of cake and repeat the last step until you reach the 3rd layer of cake.
- Cover the entire cake with a thin layer of ganache and smooth it with an offset spatula. Place in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Cover the entire cake with the ganache and smooth with icing smoother.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the remaining ganache and decorate with strawberry pieces.
- Place the finished chocolate and strawberry cake in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Conservation: 2 to 4 days in the refrigerator under a cling film or in a conservation box.
You can replace the buttermilk with dairy milk + 2 tablespoons of white vinegar or lemon juice, or with plain yogurt or fresh cream.
Add a chocolate drip: Melt 50 g of chocolate with 50 ml. of heavy cream in a double boiler until you get a liquid ganache, let it cool down a bit and then pour it on the cold cake.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: cake, dessert, layer cake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 764
- Sugar: 38.2 g
- Sodium: 346.4 mg
- Fat: 49.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 71.7 g
- Protein: 13.3 g
- Cholesterol: 104.6 mg
Keywords: strawberry chocolate cake, chocolate strawberry cake