Soft Gingerbread cookies flavored with gingerbread spices and decorated with royal icing (for 20 cookies)
- 153 g (1 stick + 3 tbsp) Butter - unsalted and softened
- 135 g (⅔ cup) Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg - large at room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 150 g (⅓ cup) molasses - or honey + maple syrup mix
- 450 g (3 cups) Flour - all-purpose
- 1 tsp Cinnamon - ground
- 1 tsp Ginger - ground
- 1 pinch Nutmeg - ground
- 1 pinch Cloves - ground
- 1 tsp baking soda - or baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 400 g (3 ⅓ cups)Powdered sugar - sifted
- 40 g (3-4 tbsp) Water
- Sugar for decoration
- Place softened butter and brown sugar in a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Add the egg, vanilla extrac and molasses and mix again with the hand mixer for 1 minute to incorporate.
- Then add the dry ingredients, flour, spices, salt and baking soda and mix just until combined.
- Gather the dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out with a gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- Place your cutouts on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and place in the freezer while the oven is preheating.
- Preheat the oven to 347°F / 175°C and bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, until they are slightly puffed and browned.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let them cool a little, then carefully move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the sifted powdered sugar in a medium bowl with the water and beat with an electric whisk for about 5 minutes until the mixture is thick and slightly fluid. (If the mixture seems too runny add more powdered sugar and if it is too thick add a few drops of water)
- Fill a piping bag with a round 2 tip or cut a very small opening with scissors.
- Decorate the cookies with icing and immediately decorate with granulated sugar or other decorations.
- Let the gingerbread men dry for 1 hour before eating them!
Storage: up to 1-2 weeks at room temperature in a covered storage box and up to 3 months in the freezer without the glaze.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: cookies, shortbread
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: gingerbread men, gingerbread man, gingerbread cookies, gingerbread men cookies, Christmas gingerbread men, soft gingerbread men cookies