Recipe of the inverted puff pastry with crispy and light flaky crust (quantity to make 2 galettes des rois or 2-3 puff pastry tarts)
- 375 g Butter (softened and cut into pieces)
- 150 g Flour
Distemper ( dough )
- 150 g Water
- 110 g Butter (melted and cooled)
- 350 g Flour
- 10 g Salt
- 1 tbsp White vinegar
- Place all ingredients in the mixer bowl with the flat spatula, chopped butter and flour.
- Mix on medium speed for about 1 minute until smooth.
- Place the mixture on a sheet of parchment paper and fold the sheet over the butter and roll out to form a square butter sheet.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
The distemper (the dough)
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the dough hook, water, melted butter, flour, salt and vinegar and mix at medium speed for 1-2 minutes until you get a homogeneous dough ball.
- Place the dough on a work surface and form a square of dough then cover with cling film and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Incorporating the distemper into the butter sheet
- Place the sheet of butter on a well-floured work surface and gently roll out with a rolling pin to form a large square.
- Also roll out the distemper to form a square of dough smaller than the butter.
- Place the dough in the center of the butter and close the corners on the dough to completely cover it, then seal the edges with your fingers.
Folding the dough
- Roll out the dough to a length of 30 cm.
- Fold the dough in 4 starting by folding the top edge, then bring the bottom edge and fold again in 2.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for 1h-1h30.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and place it back on the floured work surface (opening on the side) and make a double turn again, then let the dough rest in the fridge for another 1h-1h30.
- Finish by making a single turn, place the dough on the floured work surface still with the opening on the side and roll out with a rolling pin to a length of 20 cm and fold the dough in 3.
- Cover with cling film and let the dough rest for about 1 hour before using.
Conservation: about 5 days in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer.
Quicker preparation: Let the dough rest for 30 minutes in the freezer between each folding.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: french
Keywords: inverted puff pastry, puff pastry