Delicious and creamy pastry cream recipe, easy to make and perfect for your homemade desserts, fll tart, cream puff etc (about 10 - 12 servings)
- 500 ml Milk (semi-skimmed or whole)
- 1 Vanilla bean
- 3 Egg yolks
- 100 g Sugar (granulated)
- 40 g Cornstarch (or flour)
- Start by placing the milk and the vanilla bean, cut in half and scraped out, in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the yolks with the sugar and cornstarch for 1 minute until smooth.
- Remove the vanilla bean and pour the milk gradually into the bowl containing the egg yolks while whisking until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat while whisking constantly. As soon as it starts to boil, prolong the cooking time for 1-2 minutes.
- Immediately pour the pastry cream into a clean dish and cover with cling film, then place in the fridge until completely cool.
- Before using, whip a little the cooled pastry cream.
Storage: in the refrigerator for 2 days.
You can replace the cornstarch by flour.
You can use egg yolks (richer cream) or whole eggs.
Optional: add up to 50 g of butter for a firmer cream or add a sheet of rehydrated gelatin to be incorporated at the end of cooking off the heat.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert, filling
- Cuisine: french
- Calories: 86
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 20
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 53
Keywords: cream puff pastry, pastry cream, vanilla pastry cream