Delicious pink strawberry birthday cake with strawberry buttercream frosting. (for a 8 inches / 20 cm cake 8-10 slices)
- 150 g (2/3 cup) Butter - unsalted and softened
- 290 g ( 1 1/2 cup) Sugar - extra fine granulated
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 Egg whites - about 150 g room temperature
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) Buttermilk - or yogurt
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) Cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 60 g (1/4 cup) Strawberry puree
- Pink food coloring - optional
Strawberry buttercream frosting
Make a batch of my strawberry buttercream
- Preheat the oven to 329°F/ 165°C and prepare 2 7-8 inches / 17-20 cm cake pans lined with parchment paper on the bottoms only.
- In a large bowl, mix and sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Place the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl, or in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and whisk for about 3 minutes until creamy and white.
- Keeping the whisk running at high speed, add the vanilla extract and egg whites in batches, beating for 1 minute between each addition until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Continue beating for approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Fold in the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately and in batches with a rubber spatula until smooth and homogeneous.
- Finish by stirring in the strawberry purée with the spatula and the pink coloring (optional), and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the two prepared baking pans and tap lightly to distribute the batter in the pan.
- Bake in the oven at half-height for around 25 -30 minutes until golden on top, checking by plunging a toothpick into the center; it should come out clean without liquid batter.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the pans for a few minutes before removing them from the pans and cooling them completely on a wire rack.
- Cover the sponge cakes with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours before assembly. (Remove crust and bumps if necessary, using a knife or cake leveler).
Strawberry buttercream :
Follow my recipe for Strawberry Buttercream.
- Place the first layer of cake on a cake board or serving dish.
- Apply a layer of strawberry buttercream and smooth with an angled spatula.
- Place the second layer of sponge cake cover the whole cake with the remaining strawberry buttercream and decorate with whole strawberries.
- Serve immediately or place in the fridge until ready to serve (remember to take it out of the fridge 20 minutes beforehand to soften the buttercream a little).
Storage: up to 4-5 days in the fridge under plastic wrap or in an airtight container, up to 3 months in the freezer.
Replace the buttercream with a strawberry whipped cream frosting
Add sliced strawberries to the inside of the cake or homemade strawberry compote.
Replace strawberries with other fruits, such as raspberries, blueberries or exotic fruits.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: cake, birthday cake, dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry cake, strawberry buttercream cake, strawberry birthday cake, Pink strawberry cake, pink birthday cake, simple birthday cake,