The recipe for the Apple French galette des rois, a super crispy puff pastry, almond cream and a cinnamon melting apple filling. (for a cake of 10 inch / 25 cm diameter 10-12 servings)
- Homemade puff pastry dough
- For homemade puff pastry, follow my recipe which can be found here in my article on the frangipane galette des rois.
- Place the soft butter in a container and mix with an electric mixer or whisk.
- Add the sugar and almond powder and mix again.
- Finish by incorporating the eggs and mix until smooth.
- Then cover with cling film and place in the fridge until assembled.
- Peel the apples and cut them into pieces.
- Then place them in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Let them cook for about 15 minutes, add the cinnamon powder. (the apples should remain in melting pieces, not pureed).
- Transfer the apples to a container and let them cool completely.
Assembly of the cake
- Roll out the puff pastry with a rolling pin to a thickness of 3 mm and cut out 2 large rounds of dough using a dessert circle.
- And place one round of dough on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- Using a pastry bag filled with almond cream, place a small layer of almond cream on the puff pastry circle, leaving a 5 cm border.
- Then place your apple pieces.
- And with a pastry brush, lightly moisten the edge of the cake.
- Finally, cover with the second round of puff pastry and seal the edges with your fingers.
Decorate the top of the galette des rois
- Scratch the galette des rois with a small blade, be careful not to press too much.
- Apply a layer of gilding to the beaten egg with the pastry brush.
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes and then reapply a second layer of gilding.
Baking the Apple French galette des rois
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Bake the galette des rois for about 45 minutes, until it is golden brown.
- Allow the galette des rois to cool completely before serving.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: french
- Calories: 459
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 207
- Fat: 33
- Saturated Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 37
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 54
Keywords: apple cake, apple galette, crème galette des rois