How to make the traditionnal apple galette des rois recipe. This delicious French dessert is made of a light and flaky homemade puff pastry, with a filling of almond cream (easy frangipane) and pieces of cinanmon flavored apples.
This apple galette des rois completes the series of desserts made for the Epiphany day and throughout the month of January.
We already love the traditional French frangipane galette des rois, but in this version there is an extra layer of cinnamon flavored apples which makes this dessert even more appetizing.
When you add some fresh and seasonal fruits as in my recipe for chocolate pear galette des rois, it makes for an even tastier dessert with a rich filling.
This galette is made with homemade puff pastry, which is much crispier and lighter than the commercial one.
And it is filled with a simple homemade almond cream (also know as the easy frangipane recipe) and pieces of tender apples.
A delicious composition
- Puff pastry: With the classic recipe of puff pastry or the inverted puff pastry method that is crispy and light and requires a little preparation and organization. But you can always follow my recipe for the quick rough puff pastry ready in 10 minutes that I use in the Nutella stuffed galette des rois or in the chocolate galette des rois.
- An almond filling cream: In the authentic recipe we use frangipane which is simply the combination of pastry cream and almond cream. Here to simplify it is simply an almond filling cream.
- Apples: they are slightly softened in advance in a pan as in the preparation of applesauce, to have a more melting texture in the mouth.
Tip: Serve your galette with homemade salted caramel sauce and a little vanilla ice cream.
How to make the Apple galette des rois
- Puff pastry: Follow the recipe for classic puff pastry, reverse puff pastry or quick puff pastry. (or use a commercial puff pastry)
Tip: To make a good puff pastry you need 6 turns (folding) but with just 3 turns you will already have a very crispy pastry.
Almond filling cream
- Place all ingredients in a medium bowl, butter cut into pieces, powdered sugar, almond meal and eggs.
- With an electric mixer beat for 2 minutes at medium speed until smooth.
Tip: To make a smooth almond cream, use ingredients at room temperature.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to a thickness of 3 mm and cut out 2 large disks with a tart ring or large plate.
- Place the first disk on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and place the filling in the center, the almond cream and the apples.
- Moisten the edges with a pastry brush and water.
- Cover with the second disk of dough and seal the edges with your fingers.
- Apply a layer of egg wash with a brush and scratch the top with a knife in the pattern of your choice.
Tip: Place the galette in the freezer for about 15 minutes before baking to prevent too much butter from escaping during baking.
- Preheat oven to 356°F / 180°C.
- Bake the cake in the oven for about 45 minutes until it has a nice golden color.
- Let it cool completely before serving.
More recipes with apples
- Apple puff pastry tart
- Apple Pie
- French apple cake
- Rustic apple tart
- Dutch apple pie
- French apple tart (Tarte Normande)
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print