The Apple French galette des rois recipe, with a super crispy homemade puff pastry, a low sugar almond cream and a cinnamon flavoured melting apple filling.
The Apple French Galette des Rois
Easy and delicious Apple French galette des rois recipe for epiphany, a tasty dessert made with a super crispy homemade puff pastry, almond cream low in sugar.
But above all a good layer of melting apple flavoured with cinnamon!
This Apple galette is :
- A perfect dessert to change from the traditional French galette des rois.
- Cinnamon flavoured (optional if you don't like cinnamon you can remove this ingredient)
- Served with salted butterscotch which goes very well with apples.
Materials and ingredients for this recipe
To make the recipe for the Apple French galette, you will need :
Ingredients for the apple galette:
- A store-bought puff pastry or even better, homemade with my homemade puff pastry recipe.
- An almond cream, it is an easy recipe to make yourself.
- Powdered cinnamon
Materials to make a galette des rois :
- A stand mixer to make the homemade puff pastry.
- A good rolling pin
- A sugarcraft knife or a baker's blade
- A pastry brush for the gilding of the galette des rois
- A large pastry ring to cut out the dough rounds.
- A baking tray for baking
- Electric hand mixer
How to make the Apple French galette
Prepare homemade puff pastry
For this recipe, I made a homemade puff pastry, but for a quicker dessert you can also take one of the quality commercial ones and skip this step.
Also to succeed in the preparation of homemade puff pastry, go to this article French Galette des rois where I detail in pictures the preparation of a classic homemade puff pastry.
Prepare the almond cream
Since this recipe for galette des rois contains apples that are naturally sweet, I deliberately reduced the amount of sugar in the almond cream.
- Begin by placing the soft butter in a large bowl and mixing with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Then incorporate the sugar and powdered almonds and beat again.
- Finally, fold in the eggs and mix with an electric mixer until smooth and homogeneous.
- Finish by covering with cling film and place in the chill until the apple king cake is assembled.
Preparation of the Apple filling
- First, place the chopped apples in a saucepan over medium heat.
- And let cook, while stirring with a wooden spoon for 10 minutes.
- Then add the powdered cinnamon and mix again.
- Finally, when the apples have softened and melted, stop cooking and transfer to a dish.
- And let your apples cool completely.
Assembly of the Apple galette
- Start by spreading the puff pastry on a floured work surface.
- Then with the help of a 10 inch / 25 cm diameter pastry ring out 2 rounds of pasta.
- Then place the first round of puff pastry on a baking tray covered with baking paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Finally, fill the center with almond cream, leaving a good 2 inch / 5 cm edge, use a pastry bag to fill the galette.
- And place a bean inside if you wish.
- Then with a pastry brush moisten the edges with water.
- And cover with the second round of puff pastry.
- Seal the edges by pressing lightly with your fingers.
Scratching the French galette des rois
- Finish by scratching the dough with a small sugarcraft knife or a special baker's bread blade.
- Now apply a layer of egg gilding with your pastry brush.
- Then place your cake in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Then apply a new layer of gilding.
Baking the apple galette
Finally bake the cake in the oven and at the end of cooking, let it cool completely before serving.
How to store the French galette des rois.
The Apple galette des rois can be kept in the fridge preferably as it contains apples, for about 3-5 days.
Spend a few moments in the oven or microwave to give it back its freshness.
Other recipe for galette des rois or puff pastry dessert
Apple French galette des rois vidéo
Apple French galette des rois
Puff pastry dough
- 2 roll of puff pastry - or my homemade puff pastry
- 100 g Soft butter
- 100 g Almond powder
- 50 g Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Homemade puff pastry dough
- For homemade puff pastry, follow my recipe which can be found here in my article on the frangipane galette des rois.
- Place the soft butter in a container and mix with an electric mixer or whisk.
- Add the sugar and almond powder and mix again.
- Finish by incorporating the eggs and mix until smooth.
- Then cover with cling film and place in the fridge until assembled.
- Peel the apples and cut them into pieces.
- Then place them in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Let them cook for about 15 minutes, add the cinnamon powder. (the apples should remain in melting pieces, not pureed).
- Transfer the apples to a container and let them cool completely.
Assembly of the cake
- Roll out the puff pastry with a rolling pin to a thickness of 3 mm and cut out 2 large rounds of dough using a dessert circle.
- And place one round of dough on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- Using a pastry bag filled with almond cream, place a small layer of almond cream on the puff pastry circle, leaving a 5 cm border.
- Then place your apple pieces.
- And with a pastry brush, lightly moisten the edge of the cake.
- Finally, cover with the second round of puff pastry and seal the edges with your fingers.
Decorate the top of the galette des rois
- Scratch the galette des rois with a small blade, be careful not to press too much.
- Apply a layer of gilding to the beaten egg with the pastry brush.
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes and then reapply a second layer of gilding.
Baking the Apple French galette des rois
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Bake the galette des rois for about 45 minutes, until it is golden brown.
- Allow the galette des rois to cool completely before serving.