How to make almond and hazelnut praline paste. This delicious paste is very easy to make, has an ultra-creamy and tasty texture and is perfect for pastry, to flavour your creams and cakes.
Almond and hazelnut praline paste is a creamy mixture widely used in French pastry making. It is composed of a mixture of crushed nuts, roasted and caramelized, which are mixed for a long time in a blender to obtain a rich paste with an intense taste.
It is a concentrate of flavors that is used to flavor all cream bases, such as pastry cream, buttercream, chocolate ganache but also to fill cakes, choux pastry, macaroons, … And it is also found in some desserts and entremets, such as the Paris-Brest mixed with pastry cream, the praline success or the chocolate praline crisp.
The homemade recipe is much tastier than the store-bought one, and above all it will cost you less and you can even control the amount of sugar added.
How to make almond and hazelnut praline paste
Roast dried fruit:
- Place whole, raw almonds and hazelnuts with skin on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Heat in a preheated oven at 300°F / 150°C for about 15 to 20 minutes. They will turn to a darker color and the skin will start to peel off and you will also smell that delicious roasted nuts.
- Let them cool for about 10 minutes, then rub them in a tea towel to remove some of the loose skin.
Tip: You can also make it with only almonds or hazelnuts but also with pecans and other dried fruits.
Stir the nuts into the sugar syrup:
- Place the water and sugar in a saucepan and heat over medium heat while checking the temperature with a cooking thermometer, which should reach about 240°F / 116°C.
- Add the roasted hazelnut and almond mixture to the pan.
Caramelize the nuts
- Heat the mixture over medium heat for about 20 minutes while stirring with a wooden spoon from time to time.
- The mixture will first crystallize and give a white coating on your nuts.
- Continue cooking until the sugar is completely dissolved and the nuts are caramelized.
- Immediately remove the mixture to a piece of parchment paper, as it cools the nuts will harden.
Tip: Be careful not to burn your preparation, keep an eye on the cooking until the mixture is an amber color.
Mix the preparation
- Start by placing a small amount of caramelized nuts in your blender or food processor and blend at high speed until you obtain a nut meal, then add the rest and blend again.
- Blend on high speed in 2 minute increments to avoid overheating the mixture until you have a smooth, homogeneous paste.
- Pour your dough into a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Some recipe ideas to make with your paste.
- As a filling for crêpes, pancakes or Baghrir - Morrocan semolina pancakes
- On your tart
- As a filling for a brioche
- Praline-flavored ganache
- Praline cookies
- Praline roll cake
More filling recipes
- Raw almond butter
- Brown butter
- Salted caramel sauce
- Raw peanut butter
- Chocolate hazelnut spread
- Unsweetened Applesauce
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print