How to make almond cream filling also known as the frangipane recipe. This delicious, creamy, almond-rich filling is made with only 4 ingredients and is ready in 10 minutes, perfect for filling tarts, cakes, pastries and croissants.
The almond cream filling also called "creme d’amande" is a very well-known recipe used in French pastry and in the world for filling pastries, tart shell such as in fruit tarts like apple tart or pear tart or in more traditional desserts such as the French galette des rois (king cake).
But the almond cream is more of an easy version of the frangipane filling because this recipe calls for only 4 main ingredients and requires only 10 minutes of preparation time.
This is why it is loved around the world for its rich almond flavor that goes perfectly with almost anything, fresh fruit, and chocolate, and is also used to make almond croissants.
Ingredients and substitutions
What we like about this cream is that it is really one of the simplest preparations to make, simply mix all the ingredients together.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter with a well-softened texture.
- Almond: blanched almonds or whole almonds, use ground almonds instead of almond flour, which you can replace with other nut flour such as ground hazelnuts.
- Sugar: granulated or powdered sugar.
- Eggs: raw eggs at room temperature, it is possible to make it without eggs or to use only the egg whites.
- Vanilla and salt: optional pure vanilla extract which can be replaced by pure almond extract to reinforce the almond aroma and a pinch of salt to bring out all the flavors.
Ratio: A simple ratio to remember = 1 : 1 : 1 (Example, for 50 g almond meal + 50 g butter + 50 g sugar + 50 g egg (about 1 egg))
How to make an Almond cream recipe
- Place softened butter pieces with granulated sugar in a medium bowl.
- Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla or almond flavoring and mix again to incorporate.
- Add the almond meal and salt and mix again with the hand mixer to obtain a homogeneous and airy almond cream.
- Use almond cream immediately as a tart filling or croissant filling or store it in the refrigerator.
Tip: Use an electric mixer to incorporate air and achieve a lighter, more fluffy almond cream.
Storage and freezing
Room temperature: It can only be kept in the fridge as it contains eggs which makes it a fragile cream. Covered with a plastic wrap or in a airtight container, you can keep it up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
In the freezer: In a conservation box you can keep it up to 3 months in the freezer. Let it slowly recover in the fridge.
Frequently asked questions
No, the frangipane is a mixture of almond cream and pastry cream.
The almond cream is a recipe made of butter, almond meal, sugar and eggs, while the almond paste is only made of almonds.
This often happens when the butter is too cold and does not blend with the other ingredients. Use room-temperature butter and whip with an electric mixer to get a smooth cream.
More filling recipes
Recipes with almond cream
- French strawberry tart
- Rhubarb almond tart
- Pear almond galette
- Chocolate galette des rois
- Chocolate pear galette des rois
- Apple french galette des rois
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print