How to make a frangipane tart with this easy and super quick recipe to make at home. This delicious almond tart is made with homemade sweet tart dough, filled with a frangipane filling and raspberries.
French Almond tart
Frangipane tart or almond tart, this dessert is a classic in French pastry ( tarte amandine) made of just 2 preparations, a tart shell filled with a delicious and generous frangipane filling.
This highly loved dessert is appreciated for its simplicity and incredible almond flavor, it is a basic recipe widely used in various baked fruit tart recipes.
We call it frangipane tart wrongly because in reality, it is simply an almond cream tart whereas we know the frangipane as being the combination of the pastry cream and the almond cream that we generally use to fill the galette des Rois.
The frangipane tart is an almond tart recipe made of only 2 preparations, a base of a tart crust - Pâte Sablée which is buttery and fondant with a generous filling of almond cream made of ground almonds.
Simply decorated with sliced almonds and a bit of powdered sugar or in a more sweet version with fruits such as raspberries, blueberries, or the very popular pear frangipane tart also known as bourdaloue pear tart.
Frangipane tart is very easy to make at home with no need to blind baking, a tasteful dessert rich in almonds that can be made for any occasion.
>> See all the tarts and pies recipes from the blog
Ingredient and substitutions
Here is an overview of the necessary ingredients and eventual substitutions to make a frangipane tart at home, scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card.
For the tart shell, we often use a shortcrust pastry ( French pâte sablée) which is perfect for making tart recipes filled with almond cream filling and baked fruits.
But you can easily replace it with puff pastry, classic shortcrust pastry, or simply a sweet tart dough.
Useful materials: A 10 inches / 22-25 cm fluted tart pan or pastry ring for baking, a food processor for the tart dough, and a hand mixer for the filling.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter which should be well softened.
- Sugar: white granulated sugar or brown sugar such as cane sugar or coconut sugar.
- Eggs: room temperature eggs.
- Almond: Finely ground almonds, almond flour or almond meal, blanched almond flour, or whole almonds that you can replace with other nut powders like hazelnuts.
- Chocolate: You can add unsweetened cocoa powder, chocolate chips, or melted chocolate for a chocolate frangipane filling.
- Flavor: Vanilla extract, rum, bitter almond extract, fruit puree or nut spread, lemon zest, ground cinnamon.
- Fruit: Fresh fruit, frozen fruit, or jam, such as raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, thin slices of apples, apricots, and other stone fruit, bosc pears, or poached pears.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make Raspberry almond tart
1 - Tart crust
There's no need to blind bake the pastry crust to make the raspberry frangipane tart, you can make the dough directly with your hands or use a food processor to quickly blend all the ingredients.
- Place the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, all-purpose flour, powdered sugar, almond meal, and salt, and mix into a homogeneous mixture.
- Add the cold butter pieces and sand with your hands, crushing the butter into the dry ingredients until you have a sandy mixture.
- Add the egg and gather the dough into a ball, then cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
Tip: To go faster, roll out the dough immediately between 2 sheets of parchment paper and place it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
2 - Almond filling
- Cream the softened butter with the granulated sugar using an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add egg, and vanilla extract and mix again for 1 minute to incorporate.
- Add the almond flour and mix with the mixer until you have a smooth and creamy mixture.
- Keep in a cool place until ready to assemble.
Tip: Use an electric mixer to make light and fluffy frangipane cream. You can add a bit of heavy cream for a creamier texture after baking.
3 - Setting up the tart
- Line a tart pan or pastry ring with the shortcrust pastry and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Fill the inside with almond filling.
- Add fresh or frozen raspberries.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds on top of the whole tart.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and bake the almond raspberry tart for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Let the tart cool a bit before unmolding it and place it on a large plate.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar over the cooled raspberry frangipane tart and serve with a sweet topping, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or a fruit coulis or raspberry jam.
In the fridge: Frangipane tart can be stored like all baked fruit tarts, preferably in the fridge under plastic wrap or in a storage box for about 3-5 days.
In the freezer: You can freeze the tart for up to 3 months, well wrapped in a storage box, wait until it is completely cooled before placing it in the freezer and let it defrost overnight in the fridge.
More almond tart
- French Strawberry tart with pastry cream
- Rhubarb almond tart
- Salted caramel Chocolate tart
- Rustic pear tart
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10 slices
Recipe for an almond frangipane tart with sweet shortcrust pastry, almond filling and raspberries (for a 10 inches / 22-25 cm tart, 8-10 slices)
- 250 g (2 cups) Flour - all-purpose
- 90 g ( ¾ cup) Powdered sugar
- 50 g ( ½ cup) Almond flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 150 g (⅔ cup) Butter - unsalted and cold
- 1 Egg - room temperature
- 100 g (½ cup) Butter - unsalted and softened
- 100 g ( ½ cup) Sugar - granulated
- 2 Eggs - room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 100 g (1 cup) Almond flour - ground almond
- 100 g (¾ cup) fresh or frozen raspberries
- In a large bowl place the flour, powdered sugar, almond flour and salt and mix with a tablespoon until well blended.
- Add the cold butter pieces and press it with your fingertips into the dry ingredients mixture until you have a sandy mixture.
- Add the egg and mix until you have a homogeneous ball of dough without kneading it.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin on a floured work surface or between 2 sheets of parchment paper to a thickness of 3-4 mm.
- Line a 10 inches / 22-25 cm diameter tart pan or pastry ring with the dough and place the pan in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place the chopped and softened butter with the sugar and mix with an electric mixer or hand whisk until creamy and well blended.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat again with a mixer to incorporate them.
- Finish with the almond meal and mix in with the mixer.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and remove the pastry shell from the freezer.
- Fill the pastry crust with the almond filling and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Add raspberries (or other fruits) and press them into the almond cream.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on top of the tart and bake for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Let the almond tart cool a bit before removing from the pan and placing it carefully on a large plate.
- Serve the tart cold or at room temperature.
Storage: Up to 3-5 days in the refrigerator under a plastic wrap and up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: tart,dessert
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: almond tart, frangipane tart, raspberry almond tart, raspberry frangipane tart
Leave a Reply