The best homemade almond butter, this delicious recipe, healthy, nutritious, gluten free and so useful in heatlhy baking!
A homemade preparation, simple and quick to make, for this tasty almond paste to use in your spreads, in your porridges or even as a butter substitute in your recipes!
You don't know yet this delicious homemade spread called almond butter or almond puree? What is it used for, why make it itself and its nutritional value that places it in the healthy category?
I explain everything there is to know about almond butter and why you should absolutely have it in your kitchen.
What is almond butter?
- Organic raw Almonds, with the skin for a complete version.
- Organic white almonds for a more white almond butter
Why make your almond butter yourself
- For its benefits on the body, here are some of its nutritional qualities:
- For its good fats that protect us from cardiovascular diseases.
- Rich in antioxidant vitamin E
- Its contribution in fibres for a better intestinal transit
- Its low glycemic index
- Magnesium source
- For its price, a jar of organic almond butter bought in a store will cost you 2 x more than if you made it yourself.
A tastier recipe
- honey, maple syrup to sweeten it a little bit
- spices like cinnamon to perfume it
- make a mixture with mashed hazelnuts, cashew nuts, peanut butter...
- Chocolate as my recipe for a healthy chocolate-nut spread.
Useful tools for this recipe
- Blender or food processor, because the mixing time is long and power is needed to make an almonds butter.
- Dehydrator, for the essential step of almond germination to eliminate enzyme inhibitors.
- Baking tray for roasting almonds.
Beforehand, if you can germinate your almonds, the nutritional benefits will only be better, I also tell you about it a little bit further down in this article.
How to make Almond butter recipe
- To begin, place your raw and organic almonds on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. (For a more white almond butter, use peeled almonds).
- Then, preheat your oven to 374°F / 190°C and put the baking tray in the oven to roast the almonds for 10 minutes. (to bring out all the flavour of the almonds)
- Then let your almonds cool for a few minutes, before starting to mix in your food processor or blender.
- So place half of your roasted almonds in your food processor.
- And start blending at high speed, in 2 minute increments.
- Your preparation will go from an increasingly fine almond powder to a thick almond paste.
- The more you mix your almond mixture, the smoother the paste will become and the more liquid it will be.
- Also, overheating should be avoided by always stirring at 2 minute intervals and scraping the sides at each break until the almond butter is obtained
- Finally, pour your almond butter into a jar with an airtight lid.
Your homemade almond butter preparation is ready!
How to store homemade almond butter
For storage, it's in the fridge preferably, but you can also keep your preparation at room temperature.
Can I freeze it : Yes, it is quite possible to freeze it for up to 3 months.
What to do with the almond butter
- Toasts for breakfast
- your crispy bases in pastry making, cheesecake, tart
- Replace the butter the recipe for cookies, cookies, creams,
- In porridges and more...
Almond butter video
Why and how to germinate almonds
Almonds are part of the family of oilseeds (dried fruits) such as nuts, cashews, pecans...
These dried fruits naturally contain a substance that makes them indigestible. (This substance prevents our body from properly absorbing nutrients from these dried fruits).
These are enzyme inhibitors.
And to eliminate them, you just have to germinate them. (Soak them in water for 8am-12pm (one night)
Therefore, this action of germination of almonds, will eliminate these enzyme inhibitors, this will increase its content of vitamins and minerals and will also make them more digestible.
How to germinate almonds
- For this, nothing could be simpler to place your almonds in a large dish (gratin dish type).
- And fill it completely with water with a pinch of salt.
- Then cover with one towel and let stand at room temperature for a full night. (8-12pm for almonds). You will see the appearance of water as soapy with bubbles on the surface.
- Then rinse your almonds several times and get rid of the soaking water.
- Finally, the drying step that can be very long, you can use a dehydrator or start by drying them in your oven at 50-60oC for 2 hours, then finish the complete drying at room temperature.
After complete drying of the almonds you can finally make this recipe for almond butter.
But, be careful if your almonds are not completely dry, you won't be able to puree them.
More filling recipes
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Brown butter
- Salted caramel sauce
- Raw peanut butter
- Chocolate hazelnut spread
- Praline past
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print