How to make the perfect chia pudding recipe ! A basic recipe with an easy to use and remember ratio for this chia seed pudding. Made with a vegetable milk and accompanied by a homemade strawberry puree and lots of ideas to customize this dessert to any taste.
A light and tasty dessert, to eat at breakfast or for small snacks during the day. A healthy recipe, gluten free with natural sugar and also suitable for vegan.
Want a fresh and light dessert, prepared with natural ingredients and good for your health? Then you must try chia seed pudding recipe ! It's easy and quick to prepare and perfect for breakfast or for snacking during the day.
This intriguing dessert with those little seeds is chia pudding! A very trendy recipe at the moment in the world of healthy food. Chia seeds are native to Mexico, they have multiple virtues which makes them a superfood with nutritional benefits for health.
This seed mixed with a liquid swells and doubles in volume and its dry texture becomes gelatinous, which gives this preparation the appearance of a pudding.
Perfect healthy dessert !
Widely used in healthy food recipes, chia seeds have multiple virtues, which makes it a superfood with a lot of nutritional benefits for your health :
- High in fiber for a better intestinal transit.
- Rich in Omega 3 which contributes to a better cardiovascular health.
- Rich in calcium, perfect if you limit your consumption of dairy products.
- Source of energy to stay in shape, they were very used by the Aztecs.
And so many other benefits for the body that will make you never again be able to be without chia seeds and like me you will always have a jar in your cupboards !
Perfect ratio for chia seed pudding
The ratio is very important to get that perfect pudding texture. And fortunately, it is quite simple to remember.
1 tablespoon of chia seed for 50 ml of milk
By keeping in mind this simple ratio you can easily make your homemade puddings in individual jar. The perfect amount for a large jar would be 2 tablespoons for 100 ml of milk.
And you can add anything you like to make it more tasty, dark chocolate, bananas, blueberries, spices, peanut butter etc...
And you can consume this chia pudding cold but also hot, by simply heating it in the microwave or in a pan, and why not added to oatmeal for example.
Notes on ingredients
Source of high fiber, calcium and good fat for cardiovascular health. These chia seeds are magic, they swell in contact with the liquid and double in volume. In addition to being a healthy product it is also a natural appetite suppressant, perfect as part of a diet to lose weight.
Also in addition to being a great product, this chia seeds are gluten free !
I used almond milk, but you can choose another vegetable milk, like coconut milk, oat milk or use cow's milk if you are not on a dairy-free diet.
Honey or maple syrup are natural sugars that provide extra flavor. But you can also use unrefined powdered sugar such as cane sugar or coconut sugar. Just be sure to stir well to dissolve it into the mixture.
Sugar-free tip : If you wish you can make a sugar-free chia pudding, as the fruit is already naturally sweet. Simply skip the step of adding sugar and do the same for homemade strawberry puree.
I chose the strawberry which goes with everything, but you are free to make the puree with the fruit of your choice, raspberries, berries, mangoes, apple etc. Use frozen fruit instead to make homemade compote.
Here I chose strawberries and cherries, use chill seasonal and organic fruits ! Like bananas, mangoes or blueberries.
How to make chia pudding
- Place the chia seeds in a large container.
- Add the almond milk or other vegetable milk and mix with a tablespoon.
- Add honey or maple syrup, or skip this step if you want it without sugar.
- Mix for a few moments, stirring enough to separate each seed and prevent the mixture from forming lumps.
- Cover the chia seeds and vegetable milk mixture with cling film.
- Place the chia pudding in the refrigerator for at least 20 - 30 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
- Place frozen strawberries and powdered sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat this mixture over low heat for about 10-15 minutes, until the mixture is pureed.
- Mash the strawberries with the back of a fork until you have a compote.
Place the homemade strawberry compote in a container and let cool completely.
Assembly of the chia pudding
- Prepare 6 small glass jars or other small containers.
- Fill the jars halfway with the chia pudding.
- Add 2 teaspoons of strawberry compote.
- Cover with chia pudding.Decorate with chilled strawberries or other fruits of your choice.
How to store chia pudding
Chia pudding can be kept for up to a week in the refrigerator, but when mixed with fresh fruit, it should be eaten within 2-3 days.
How to serve chia pudding
- Add a layer of jam or fruit puree between 2 layers of chia pudding, such as strawberry, raspberry, mango etc..
- Add a healthy chocolate hazelnut spread, almond butter or peanut butter.
- With crunchy things like seeds, nuts, homemade chocolate chips or homemade granola.
- Add cocoa powder to your mixture to make a chocolate chia pudding recipe.
- Add spices like cinnamon powder or gingerbread spices.
Tips for successful chia pudding
- Find the right ratio of seeds to milk to get the perfect texture for you. Start with the ratio mentioned above of 2 tbsp per 100 ml of milk. And if the texture seems too thick or less then adjust the amount of chia seeds.
- Stir sufficiently after adding the chia seeds to avoid lumps. And if necessary, during the resting period, stir from time to time.
- Let the mixture sit for at least 20 minutes, the time it takes for the seeds to absorb moisture and gel to get that perfect pudding texture.
Other healthy recipes
- How to make homemade almond butter
- Sesame seed and chocolate chip cookies
- Almond butter aatmeal cookies
- Healthy homemade granola
- Homemade peanut butter
Don't forget to tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my red fruit chia pudding recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
Chia pudding with strawberry puree
- 40 g chia seeds
- 200 ml almond milk - or other vegetable drink
- 1 tbsp honey - or maple syrup
- 150 g strawberries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- In a large container, place the chia seeds and pour the almond milk.
- Then add the honey or maple syrup and stir for a few moments.
- Cover with cling film.
- Place in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes, the seeds will swell and the preparation will take a thick and gelatinous texture like a pudding.
- Place the strawberries and sugar in a saucepan and allow to puree for about ten minutes, mash with a fork, then let cool.
- Fill your little jars halfway with chia pudding, then add a small amount of puree and cover again with chia pudding, decorate with cherries and strawberries and place in the chill.