The best peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie recipe ever ! All the flavor of homemade peanut butter in perfectly textured cookies.
For big, thick, soft and chewy, melt-in-your-mouth cookies with chocolate chips it's a great recipe for snack for kids with a glass of milk !
How to make soft cookies with the great taste of peanut butter! If you like to eat peanut butter with a spoon then you'll love this cookie recipe. They are super tasty, thick with a soft, melt-in-your-mouth heart.
Peanut Butter Cookies
The perfect combination of chocolate chip cookies with natural peanut butter flavor. A flavor bomb in these homemade cookies, they are thick, super chewy and melt-in-your-mouth.
Not only are they delicious and easy to make, but they don't need to rest for a perfect batch of cookies! (although they'll taste even better if you let them chill in the fridge for a bit)
Why make this recipe
- They are quick and easy to make!
- Perfect melt-in-your-mouth texture!
- Super tasty!
- No time to rest!
Useful tools for making cookies
Use unsalted butter, softened but not melted especially if you don't intend to let the dough rest in the frigde before cooking them.
It is often recommended to use commercial peanut butter and not homemade peanut butter to make them. However, with the combination of the 2 butters and the right proportions, the cookie dough was perfect and as you can see on my pictures, so are the cookies.
The choice of sugar is crucial in the recipe of cookies, and the best combination is to incorporate a large part of powdered sugar and a small part of brown sugar. which gives his cookies that incredible flavor and texture.
A medium size egg at room temperature is required.
Vegan: For a vegan peanut butter cookie recipe, replace the butter with a vegetable milk such as almond or oat milk.
For the cookies I use white wheat flour, the quantity is important it will define the texture of the cookies, that's why you should always use an electronic scale to measure the quantity of flour.
Gluten-free: For a gluten-free version of peanut butter cookies, replace the wheat flour with a gluten-free flour such as almond flour or rice flour.
It's optional, but cornstarch has the ability to add more chewiness to cookie recipes, so why not try adding it to your cookie recipes and see the difference.
A mixture of baking powder and baking soda is essential for perfect cookie texture! If you don't have baking soda you can use baking powder only.
All sweet recipes need their little touch of vanilla extract! It adds a little delicate vanilla flavor.
The pinches of sea salt added to this recipe are magical, bringing out all the flavors in these cookies and especially the chocolate.
Optional but for a more gourmet recipe add dark chocolate chips and you can actually make them yourself by following my quick and easy recipe to make homemade chocolate chips.
How to make peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
Before you start, here are are 2 tips on how to make the cookie dough and easily obtain thick and chewy cookies :
1 - Use butter that has softened enough to blend in with the other ingredients and you don't need to let it sit in the frigde to firm up, so the cookies will be thick (if you prefer to let the dough sit, then use melted butter instead)
2 - Don't over mix after adding the flour just enough to have a homogeneous dough and don't use the electric whisk to incorporate the dry ingredients.
- Whisk together the soft butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar and brown sugar in a bowl with a whisk for about 1 - 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk again until well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and mix this time using a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix again gently to incorporate them.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to 1 hour or if you are in a hurry go ahead and bake it right away.
Do I have to chill the dough?
Yes and no! For this recipe not necessarily, the batter is firm enough to obtain thick and chewy cookies by baking it immediately. But for more flavor and more taste I always advise to let the cookie dough rest at least least 20 minutes to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Shaping the cookies
To shape the cookies, you can do it with your hands by forming balls, or you can do it with 2 tablespoons by placing heaps of dough on the baking sheet.
But the best way to shape regular cookies is to use the cookie scoop, you will have better results, the cookies will be round and the dough will not be compact because it will not have been crushed by pressure.
- Form small balls of dough with a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop.
- Place the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, well spaced out as they will puff up during baking.
- Preheat the oven and bake for about 13-15 minutes depending on the size of the cookies.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes before moving them.
How to store peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies
Cookies keep very well at room temperature, placed in a box with a tight-fitting lid and remain soft for 1 week.
Also, keep them even longer by placing them in freezer storage bags for up to 3 months.
Freezing cookie dough
A trick that could save you time and help you with your sneaky cookie cravings. Shape your cookies with the cookie scoop and place them in a freezer storage bag. Unfreeze your cookie dough balls on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven.
How to make peanut butter cookies in video
Other cookies recipes
Don't forget to tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my peanut butter cookie recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- 70 g Butter - unsalted and softened
- 90 g Peanut butter
- 100 g Sugar
- 50 g Brown sugar
- 195 g Flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- 3 pinch Sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g chocolate chips
- Start by placing the softened butter and peanut butter in a container with the powdered sugar and brown sugar and whisk for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk again until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix this time with a wooden spoon.
- Finish by adding the chocolate chips and mix gently just enough to incorporate them.
- Cover with cling film and let rest in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to 1 hour. (Or bake immediately if you are in a hurry)
- Preheat oven to 356°F / 180°c and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape balls of cookie dough with a tablespoon or ice cream scoop and place them spaced out on the baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 12-15 minutes depending on the diameter. The cookies are still soft when they come out of the oven so let them cool before moving them.