How to make unsweetened almond milk at home. It's super simple and quick ready in less than 10 minutes and with only 2 ingredients, almonds, water, and a blender, no added sugar in this dairy free milk.
With this recipe, you will finally be able to make your own plant-based drink perfect in many recipes and homemade coffee 👍.
What is almond milk?
Almond milk is a vegetable drink essentially composed of almonds and water. This milk is very used in healthy recipes, but also as a dairy alternative to dairy milk in recipes or as part of a vegan or dairy-free diet.
This drink, which is easily found in the market and exists in different flavors, is a product that is very much appreciated by a public that is looking for an alternative to dairy milk.
However, it's still a very easy recipe to prepare at home and you will only need a good blender to make your homemade unsweetened almond milk and it will cost you much less than the commercial one.
Tip: dairy milk drinks are very trendy and can be made with different nuts or seeds, such as hazelnuts, cashew nuts, oatmeal, coconut etc…
Almond milk and other industrial vegetable milk are often very low in vegetable content and very often they add sugar to enhance the taste.
Self-made recipes are always better! You can control its composition, add flavors and taste, play with its more or less creamy consistency and even choose to add or not natural sugar.
Almond milk has nothing to envy to dairy milk, and if like me you don't digest correctly the lactose contained in the latter, then you are right to start using lactose-free vegetable drinks.
It's rich in vitamin E which is a powerful anti-oxidant, and it is an excellent source of calcium and vitamin.
Almond milk takes first place ahead of all other vegetable milk and for good reason, it has a more neutral taste and is also easier to digest.
But in addition to being delicious and easy to make at home, it has other benefits that will make you love it.
- Rich in anti-oxidants and vitamin E which slows down cellular aging.
- Good source of magnesium
- Naturally lactose-free perfect for those who have lactose intolerance
- 100 % végétal and gluten-free diets
- Low calorie - about half the calories of dairy milk
To make this drink you will only need 2 ingredients, almonds, and water but above all a good powerful blender.
To flavor your drink: you can add vanilla extract to make unsweetened vanilla almond milk or spices, and to add some taste, fresh fruits like blueberries, strawberries, banana or make chocolate almond milk by adding unsweetened cocoa powder.
Add sugar : You can add natural sugar like dates, honey, or maple syrup.
How to soak the almonds
Soaking almonds not only makes the drink creamier but also makes it more digestible by eliminating the enzyme inhibitors in the seeds.
- Place the almonds with the skin on in a container of water and soak overnight.
- Discard the water and rinse the almonds before using them. (you can remove the skin from the nuts for a whiter and more digestible drink)
Tip: Soaking your nuts is essential if you use a juicer, but if your blender is powerful enough you can skip this step and go straight to blending.
How to make unsweetened almond milk
With a juice extractor
Check if your juice machine is compatible with the making of this type of drink and use if necessary the utensils provided to make vegetable milk.
- Place the soaked almonds in a large container with water.
- Then turn on the juicer and using a ladle gradually pour the ingredients into the machine.
- Pour the milk into a glass bottle with a lid and store it in the refrigerator. (Don't throw away the pulp I tell you below how to recover it 😉 )
In a blender
- Place the almonds in the bowl of a blender with the water and blend on high speed for at least 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
Tip: don't forget to roast your almonds to get the good taste and flavor of grilled almonds.
Strain the almond mixture
- Once mixed, pour it into the milk bag previously placed in a large container to collect the liquid and separate it from the pulp.
- Close the bag and squeeze it with your hands to extract as much milk as possible.
- Transfer the mixture into a large glass bottle with a lid and place in the refrigerator.
Tip: You can also use a clean towel or large linen to strain the mixture.
How to use almond milk in your recipes
In many sweet and savory recipes and as a substitute for cow's milk, such as in smoothies, coffee, and latte, homemade yogurt, protein shake, almond milk tea, pancakes, pudding, etc…
Here are some recipes to make with this unsweetened vanilla almond milk:
How long does almond milk last?
In comparison to the one we buy in the supermarket which can contain preservatives and additives, the homemade one is more fragile and it must be kept exclusively in the refrigerator and up to 5 days.
Frequently asked questions
Homemade unsweetened almond milk is much better in composition than commercial milk with added sugars. It has fewer calories than dairy milk and is full of good fat, which makes it healthy.
How to use almond pulp aka almond okara
- Turn it into an almond meal simply by drying it in the oven at a low temperature and then blending it in a food processor until it becomes a fine powder. You can then use it in your recipes instead of almond meals like brownies, cookies, cupcakes, and even pastry recipes.
- Use it raw directly in my granola recipe as a replacement for oatmeal or in recipes like chocolate chip cookies dough truffles or energy balls.
Tip: the almond meal made with okara can be kept for about 1 month in the fridge in a jar with a tight lid or in the freezer.
Others drinks recipes
- Detox smoothie with almond milk
- Healthy pumpkin spice latte
- Vanilla chai tea latte recipe
- Homemade hot chocolate with whipped cream
- Latte macchiato recipe
- Vanilla iced coffee
- Strawberry banana smoothie recipe
- Banana Milkshake
- Iced pumpkin spice latte
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print