Perfect thick and fluffy buttered brioches, French toast style, served with a delicious pure maple syrup and fresh berries for a perfect breakfast! Certainly the easiest and fastest breakfast or brunch to make.
Looking to make breakfast or brunch with your family or for special days? Try this incredibly easy and quick recipe! Generous buttery brioche with a soft and super tasty texture.
French toast is a typical French breakfast recipe that consists of soaking stale bread in a mixture of eggs and milk and then frying them in a little oil in a pan.
This is a trick that allows you to recover the bread from the day before and to give it back its softness. This mixture of eggs and milk will reintroduce moisture into the bread and the deep-fried cooking will create a crispy layer which will restore the flavor and allow to consume rather than to throw away.
Et c'etait très utile à l'époque de nos grands parents, mais aujourd'ui on fait des desserts incroyables avec le French toast !
Especially with this even tastier version, the brioche French toast ! Replace the bread with a thick, buttery brioche and you'll have a perfect dessert for a family brunch.
Sliced Buttery Brioche bread
It is not necessary to prepare your own brioche or even to use stale brioche. Take your buttered brioche from the supermarket, preferably thick sliced, and you can quickly prepare this meal for breakfast.
The Brioche French toast is eaten on its own but we like to add a topping, like maple syrup, jam, berries, banana and even whipped cream or ice cream for the greediest.
And you can even try flavoring the egg and milk mixture with spices such as cinnamon and vanilla extract which flavor this recipe deliciously.
Obviously, this recipe is totally possible with home-made bread and it doesn't matter which one. You can try for example toasting this homemade chocolate babka brioche.
- Milk: Whole milk would be ideal for this toasted bun recipe. But honestly, and I think it's the same for you, I only have semi-skimmed milk and it works just as well. It also works with plant-based milk like my homemade almond milk recipe.
- Egg: Use fresh eggs, they will be beaten with milk and sugar a bit like an omelet mixture in which we will dip and let soak the bread.
- Sugar: Sugar is optional in this recipe, use fine granulated powdered sugar that will melt quickly and blend in with the other ingredients.
- Bread: As mentioned above, use a good thick buttered brioche, if possible bread sliced. And don't hesitate to use your stale bread to make them soft again with this recipe.
- Butter: To bake the French toast, use butter suitable for cooking. Of course, I don't need to mention that this delicious recipe is quite caloric, so be sure to measure out the quantities. Enough to toast the buns. Be careful not to burn the butter during baking.
- Vanilla extract: You can optionally add a tsp of pure vanilla extract to your egg mixture for flavor.
- Cinnamon Powder: Adding cinnamon powder to the egg mixture adds a delicate and spicy flavor to your toasted breads.
⚠️ You'll find ingredient quantities and full instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make Brioche Bread French Toast
Start by mixing together in a large plate the ingredients that will be used to prepare the coating mixture.
Add the milk, eggs and sugar and beat with a whisk until smooth.Then dip one brioche at a time into this mixture and let them soak for about 30 seconds on each side, more if you use a stale brioche.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Be careful not to burn the butter, it should not smoke.
When the butter is hot, remove the brioche from the egg mixture and cook it immediately in the pan. Let it cook for about 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and on each side.
Then place the toasted brioches on a piece of absorbent paper, making sure to turn them over to get rid of the excess fat.
Repeat these steps for all the buns and serve them still warm or lukewarm.
These homemade French toasted brioches are delicious with a good coffee and orange juice, served with fruit and a sweet topping like maple syrup, honey or jam like a blueberry compote.
For special days and celebrations, you can prepare this recipe in a more gourmet version, adding whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Storage and Freeze
They are best when eaten immediately after baking and still a little warm. But you can keep them at room temperature for 1 day.
More breads recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print