How to make fluffy buttermilk pancakes with this quick and easy recipe to make at home. A super quick recipe for light and fluffy American pancakes with no resting time, perfect for breakfast, family brunch or a quick snack!
Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
Make the best buttermilk pancakes recipe for thick and fluffy American style pancakes, with maple syrup dripping down the sides! It's certainly the best breakfast ever!
These traditional American buttermilk pancakes are thick and tasty as can be! We find them on our tables at breakfast or at brunch served with butter, spread, maple syrup, or fresh fruit.
Usually, in regular pancake recipes to have thick ones, the yolks are separated and the whites are beaten, which makes the pancakes very soft and airy, but here we use buttermilk instead of milk which allows us to have the same result and without any resting time.
This is due to the buttermilk, sour and acidic milk, combined with baking soda and baking powder that will make the batter rise quickly and give buttermilk pancakes with an ultra-soft texture.
>> See all breakfast recipes from the blog
Ingredients et substitutions
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make this fluffy buttermilk pancakes recipe at home, scroll down to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Flour: A white wheat all-purpose flour or plain flour that you can replace with a gluten-free flour mix.
- Sugar: white granulated sugar or a bag of vanilla sugar.
- Egg: Egg at room temperature.
- Milk: Use preferably buttermilk which is essential to have fluffy pancakes. You can replace it by half-cream milk mixed with a tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Butter: soft and unsalted butter to incorporate melted, you can replace it with a vegetable oil but the butter gives a better taste.
- Yeast: A mixture of baking powder and baking soda.
- Vanilla and salt: Essential for flavoring and bringing out the flavors.
- Chocolate: Add bitter, unsweetened cocoa powder for a chocolate pancake version or chocolate chips.
- Spices: Ground cinnamon is perfect with apples.
- Coloring: Add gel food coloring for colorful pancakes.
- Flavors: lemon juice, orange or other citrus fruits, fruit puree, banana, sweet potato, squash etc.
⚠️ You will find the complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to substitute buttermilk
Buttermilk is clearly one of the essential ingredients in this homemade pancake recipe, because of its important role in both texture and flavor.
In my blogging activity, I bake a lot with buttermilk, it is great for sponge cakes, muffins, cupcakes, and more.
But don't panic I can understand that we don't all have a bottle of buttermilk in stock in the fridge and as I have already found myself in this situation I learned to do it myself at home
Mix a tablespoon of white vinegar or fresh lemon juice with a cup of milk, let it sit for a few minutes and it's magic the milk starts to have a curdled texture.
How to make Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
- Place in a large bowl, the melted butter, sugar, buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract.
- Then, using a hand whisk, beat for a good minute until the mixture is frothy and smooth.
- Next, add the dry ingredients, baking powder, baking soda, salt and finally the flour.
- Finish by gently mixing the dough, just enough to obtain a homogeneous mixture with lumps.
Tips: If you find that your batter seems too thick, add a small amount of buttermilk or on the opposite, more flour.
- Start by heating a lightly oiled or buttered pancake pan over low heat.
- Then place 2 tablespoons of pancake batter or a small ladle into your pancake pan (you need about 2 tablespoons of batter to form a small pancake)
- Cook pancakes for about 2 minutes until small bubbles appear on the surface, then turn the pancake over with a spatula and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve the pancakes warm with fresh fruit and maple syrup or honey.
Tip: No need to let the batter rest, you can bake them immediately, but if you prefer to let the batter rest, then place it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, they will be even softer and lighter.
How to serve pancakes
I can eat the pancakes plain because they are so tasty, but for those with a sweet tooth here are some pancake toppings ideas :
- Bananas with maple syrup and pecans
- Raspberries and Nutella
- Blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream
- Tiramisu style with coffee and mascarpone
- Bananas and peanut butter
Tips for successful pancakes
This is my favorite pancake recipe that I like to make on the weekends for a family breakfast, I also share with you my best tips to make sure you get this easy buttermilk pancake recipe.
- Use room temperature ingredients: For a smooth and well-blended pancake batter.
- Use buttermilk: The acidity of the buttermilk helps break down the gluten in the flour for a fluffy texture and mixed with the baking soda and baking powder it gives a perfect fluffy pancake recipe.
- Don't overmix after adding the flour: The pancake batter should be thick and a little crumbly.
Leftover pancakes will keep at room temperature (without toppings) for about 1 day. Eat them immediately, they are best warm, you can always reheat them a little in the microwave.
Pancake batter can be made a day ahead and can only be stored in the refrigerator under plastic wrap. You can keep it in the fridge for 2 days.
More pancakes and crepes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 15 Pancakes
Fluffy Pancakes recipe made with buttermilk for super soft pancakes (about 15 small pancakes)
- 155 g (1 ¼) Flour - all-purpose
- 210 ml (¾ cup) Buttermilk
- 1 egg - room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Sugar - granulated
- 1 tbsp Butter - unsalted and melted
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- Place the melted butter, powdered sugar, egg and buttermilk in a container and mix with a hand whisk.
- Then add the dry ingredients, baking powder, baking soda, salt and finish by adding the flour.
- Gently mix the pancake batter until a homogeneous, slightly granular and thick mixture is obtained.
(If the mixture seems too liquid, add a little flour; if it seems too thick, add a little buttermilk).
- Preheat a lightly oiled pancake pan, place a tablespoon of pancake batter in your pan. (about 2 tablespoons of batter to form a pancake)
- Leave to cook for 2 minutes, then turn over and cook again for 1 to 2 minutes.
Conservation : 1 day at room temperature and the pancake batter in the fridge for 2 days.
Buttermilk substitution : Replace the buttermilk with milk mixed with a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice, or with plain yogurt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: breakfast, brunch
- Cuisine: Américaine
- Calories: 64
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 121
- Fat: 2
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 14
Keywords: pancakes, buttermilk pancakes, fluffy pancakes, fluffy buttermilk pancakes, american pancakes
Leave a Reply