How to make a delicious homemade strawberry compote recipe perfect in yogurt with homemade granola or as a filling in cakes like this strawberry layer cake or this vanilla cake with strawberry filling.
This recipe is ultra-easy to make at home with a delicious strawberry flavor and just 3 ingredients for a fruity strawberry puree that's perfect in all your desserts, ice cream and pastries.
Why you'll love this recipe
Made with just 3 ingredients - fresh or frozen strawberries, sugar and lemon juice - strawberry compote is obtained simply by cooking everything in a saucepan until you get that thick, chunky texture reminiscent of strawberry jam.
It is used as a basic recipe in pastry-making, in frostings such as strawberry whipped cream, in sponge cakes, to flavor creams and mousses in entremets, or simply in your everyday desserts.
If you like strawberries, you won't be able to resist its sweet and fruity taste and a perfect and delicious strawberry topping on vanilla ice cream, cakes, to make sorbets, yogurts, cottage cheese, and more.
More Strawberry recipes
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make this delicious strawberry sauce. Scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Strawberries: You can choose between seasonal fresh strawberries or frozen strawberries to make this strawberry purée all year round.
- Sugar: Essential for a sweet compote, use white sugar, but you can also replace it with natural sugar such as maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar or agave syrup for a lighter version.
- Lemon juice: As an option, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest add a tangy note and act as a preservative in fruit compote. You can replace it with another citrus juice, such as fresh orange juice.
- Other fruits: Mix fresh or frozen berries, raspberries, blueberries, cherries, blackcurrants or other fruits such as rhubarb.
- Thicker compote: Add a bit of cornstarch or potato starch to the preparation to thicken its texture.
- Jam sugar: to make like a fruit jam, replace the sugar with a special jam sugar.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean seeds for flavoring.
⚠️ You'll find quantities and full instructions in the recipe card at the end of this page.
How to make Strawberry puree
- Place the fresh or frozen strawberries, sugar and fresh lemon juice in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for around 15 minutes, until the strawberries have softened to the desired consistency.
- Gently mash if necessary with a potato press or fork, just enough to crush the strawberries a little.
- Allow the strawberry purée to cool, then transfer to a storage jar and place in the fridge.
Tips: For a chunky consistency, don't crush the strawberries too much - they'll soften on their own. For a more smoother texture, you can also directly cut the strawberries into small pieces and cook them.
- To fill the Berry and cream Victoria cake, this chocolate strawberry cake or my strawberry whipped cream cake.
- As an insert in Strawberry filled cupcakes.
- On a New York cheesecake, this no-bake strawberry cheesecake or this strawberry swirl cheesecake.
- On fluffy pancakes, in French crêpes, Moroccan pancakes, or Belgian waffles.
- For flavoring mascarpone whipped cream, diplomat cream, pastry cream or buttercream.
Storage and tips
In the fridge: Frozen or fresh strawberry compote can only be stored in the fridge, in a glass jar with a lid (like a jam jar), or in an airtight container for around 1 week.
In the freezer: You can also keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months, but let it defrost gently in the refrigerator overnight.
Sugar-free or less sugar: It's possible to make this recipe without using sugar, by reducing sugar or use a natural sugar such as maple syrup or honey.
Plus épais : Cuire les fraises entières et non en morceaux et cuire plus longtemps pour faire évaporer le liquide (ou ajoutez un peu de fécule de maïs pour épaissir la préparation).
You will also love
- Lemon curd
- Hazelnut praline paste
- Peanut butter
- Almond butter
- Cinnamon applesauce
- Healthy chocolate spread
- Salted butter caramel
- Blueberry compote
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print