These strawberry crunch cupcakes recipe are super delicious and crunchy, just as beautiful and good as my strawberry filled cupcakes with a delicious strawberry flavor perfect for any occasion.
A soft and moist fresh strawberries vanilla cupcakes base with light frosting and strawberry crunch topping (crumble flavored with strawberries).
These strawberry crunch cupcakes, also known as strawberry shortcake cupcake recipe, are inspired by a very popular treat, strawberry shortcake bars.
Delicious strawberry cupcakes with a crumble-like strawberry crunch that we like to use in all kinds of sweet recipes like strawberry crunch cake, strawberry crunch cheesecake or in ice cream.
My strawberry crunch topping is a simple strawberry crumble, prepared with just 3 ingredients, shortbread cookies like golden Oreo, unsalted butter and freeze-dried strawberries, mixed together it gives a delicious crunchy texture.
But also decorated with strawberry whipped cream frosting and this delicious strawberry crumble topping that adds an extra layer of crunch.
Why we love this recipe
- Easy recipe with 3 step-by-step preparations and video (coming soon)
- Super delicious and original for a change from the usual cupcake recipes with delicious flavors.
- Delicious strawberry crunch topping made without strawberry jello powder.
- Perfect for all occasions, birthdays, baby showers and other celebrations.
Here's an overview of the ingredients and possible substitutions for these delicious strawberry crunch cupcakes. Scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card.
Vanilla Strawberry Cupcakes
- Butter: Use unsalted butter that is well softened. Warm it slightly in the microwave if you haven't had time to take it out in advance.
- Sugar: Preferably extra-fine white granulated sugar.
- Eggs: Room-temperature eggs. Take them out in advance or leave them in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes.
- Buttermilk: This is a must if you have it, as it adds a super soft, moist texture. You can replace it with yogurt, or sour cream, or follow my instructions for making homemade buttermilk in the recipe notes.
- Flour: Cake flour or even all-purpose flour.
- Yeast: Only baking powder to make the cake batter rise.
- Vanilla and salt: Pure vanilla extract and table salt are essential to bring out the flavors.
- Strawberries: Prefer seasonal fresh or frozen strawberries.
A homemade strawberry compote that you can replace with strawberry jam, strawberry curd, strawberry coulis or make the recipe without an insert.
Strawberry whipped cream
- Mascarpone: cold mascarpone cheese, not low-fat (you can replace it with cream cheese).
- Heavy cream: Full-fat heavy cream with at least 30-35% fat content or heavy whipping cream and very cold.
- Strawberry purée: Follow my recipe for strawberry compote to make strawberry purée, not strawberry coulis, which is too liquid.
- Sugar: Powdered sugar only, so as not to smell the grains. If you don't have any, you can always blend the granulated sugar in a food processor or thermomix.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract or seeds from a vanilla pod for flavor.
- Freeze-dried strawberries: You can find them on amazon or in specialized stores, simply dehydrated fresh- strawberries pieces. You can also make them yourself, but it's a bit time-consuming.
- Shortbread cookies: like shortbread or English shortbread, but I find the result is crunchier with Oreo golden cookies.
- Butter: As in a crumble or streusel, butter adds a delicious flavor.
⚠️ You will find quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card.
How to make Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and prepare a muffin pan with cupcake liners or muffin cups.
- In a bowl, mix and sift the dry ingredients, cake flour, baking powder and salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, blend the softened butter with the sugar for around 2-3 minutes, until creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat for a further 3 minutes until the mixture is voluminous.
- Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately and in batches, mixing with a spatula until smooth.
- Add the diced strawberries and stir again to incorporate.
- Pour the cupcake batter into the cupcake cases in the prepared pan and bake for approx. 15-17 minutes, until the cupcakes are golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the pan, then cool completely on a wire rack.
Tip: Check baking by inserting a toothpick into the center of a cupcake. It should come out clean or with a few crumbs.
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan: fresh or frozen strawberries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook over low heat until thick, like a purée (without crushing or blending the strawberries).
- Leave to cool completely before filling the inside of the cupcakes, which have been hollowed out with a cupcake corer.
Strawberry crumble topping
- Place the golden Oreos, freeze-dried strawberries in your food processor.
- Blend on high speed for 1 minute until smooth, with no large lumps.
- Add the melted butter and stir.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl: cold mascarpone, cold heavy cream, strawberry puree, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Mix with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes at medium speed until smooth and firm.
- Fill a large piping bag with the frosting and pipe swirls over the tops of the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle strawberry crunch topping over the top of the cupcakes and place in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.
Storage and tips
In the fridge: Store cupcakes in the fridge for around 3-4 days, under plastic wrap or in an airtight container.
Freezer: These cupcakes with frosting cannot be stored in the freezer, only the unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Allow cupcakes and strawberry compote to cool completely before decorating with frosting, which may melt if still warm.
Be careful not to beat the frosting too quickly and for too long, or it will slice and look grainy.
You'll also love
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print