Made with just 3 ingredients in 5 minutes, you'll love this strawberry crunch topping recipe to add to all your sweet desserts, from cheesecake, and vanilla ice cream to these strawberry crunch cupcakes.
This strawberry crunch, also known as "Strawberry shortcake crunch" or "Strawberry shortcake crumble", is simply a crunchy crumble topping with a delicious and sweet strawberry flavor.
Popular in the United States, the strawberry crunch recipe is inspired by a Good Humor treat the strawberry shortcake bars, a strawberry shortcake ice cream coated with a crunchy strawberry crumble.
Strawberry crunch topping is delicious and can be found in lots of recipes, like in ice creams, a cheesecake, shortcake ice cream bars or even in a strawberry crunch cake.
As easy to make as a homemade crumble or streusel, this no bake strawberry crunch topping is made with just 3 ingredients, shortbread cookies like golden Oreo cookies, freeze-dried strawberries (no strawberry jello powder or vanilla pudding mix needed), and salted or unsalted butter.
All the ingredients are blended in a food processor and then blended together to create a strawberry crumble that we love to add to any special dessert for a touch of sweetness and crunch.
Here's an overview of the ingredients and possible substitutions to make my strawberry shortcake crumbles at home, scroll down to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Cookies: Shortbread cookies such as golden Oreos or others.
- Strawberries: Use freeze-dried strawberries, which are dried and dehydrated. You can find them on Amazon or in specialist stores, or you can make them yourself, but it takes a long time - you'll need a dehydrator or an oven.
- Butter: Just as in a crumble, unsalted butter binds everything together and adds delicious flavor. Use preferably unsalted butter and I prefer to add a pinch of sea salt rather than using salted butter.
⚠️ You'll find quantities and full instructions in the recipe card at the end of this page.
How to Make a Strawberry Shortcake Crunch
- Place the golden Oreos and freeze-dried strawberries in a blender or food processor.
- Blend on high speed for 1 minute until the mixture is like coarse crumbs with no large lumps.
Tip: You can also put the ingredients directly into a plastic bag and grind them to a crumb using a rolling pin.
Add melted butter
- Place the mixture in a medium bowl and add the melted butter.
- Stir with a tablespoon so that the cookies and freeze-dried strawberries soak up all the melted butter.
Don't miss these delicious ideas for using your strawberry shortcake crumble recipe in your sweet recipes.
- As a topping for vanilla ice cream, flavored with my homemade strawberry compote.
- As a topping on a strawberry shortcake cheesecake.
- On strawberry sugar cookies like my brown butter sugar cookies.
- To decorate white chocolate-covered strawberries for Valentine's Day.
- For coating Cakes Pops or vanilla sandwich cookies.
- As a topping for whipped cream, cream cheese frosting, or buttercream.
Storage and tips
Room temperature: There's no need to store strawberry crunch crumbles in the fridge. Just place it in a mason jar with a lid, or in an airtight container, and you'll be able to keep it at room temperature for several weeks.
In the freezer: It keeps very well in the freezer for up to 3 months. If it seems a little soft after thawing, you can warm it slightly in the oven to restore its crunchiness.
Can I use fresh strawberries? Fresh strawberries will add too much moisture and soften the Oreo cookies. To preserve the texture of the crumble, it's best to use rehydrated strawberries to make strawberry crunch crumble.
Can other freeze-dried fruits be used? Yes, any freeze-dried fruit can be used in this crumble recipe like freeze-dried raspberries.
Vegan option: Simply replace the butter with vegan butter in this strawberry crumble topping.
You'll also love
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print