Make this delicious strawberry whipped cream cake made with fresh strawberry and homemade whipped cream as good as this berry Victoria sandwich cake.
This wonderful strawberry cake is so easy to make at home and is a very light dessert, the perfect summer cake or for any occasion.
This yummy strawberry cake recipe with mascarpone whipped cream is perfect for enjoying the strawberry season and the summer season.
Why you'll love this recipe
This fresh strawberry cake is light and very tasty, perfect for a birthday cake, a wedding cake, and other special occasions.
It is simply made of a vanilla chiffon cake recipe, which is very appreciated for its fluffy and airy texture that is so perfect for making cake like strawberry shortcake or layer cake.
Also loaded with a delicious filling full of flavor made with juicy and sugary fresh strawberries. And a very popular frosting, the mascarpone whipped frosting which is a fluffy and delicious cream perfect to go with fresh fruits.
This homemade strawberry cake recipe is very easy to make at home by following my step-by-step recipe and all my tips you will have a delicious strawberry whipped cream cake to share with your family.
More Strawberry cakes
Composition for this recipe
Vanilla Chiffon cake
Chiffon cake is like my best vanilla cake recipe (molly cake) a soft and fluffy cake, very used to make layer cake recipes. It has an airy texture somewhat similar to the angel food cake but with a richer and softer texture.
It is baked in a pan that should not be lined with parchment paper, because the cake batter must stick to the sides and this is what allows to have a cake with a very airy crumb.
I baked this recipe in 3 pans to have 3 cake layers but if you only have one pan then you can bake the cake in 2 batches. (See notes in the recipe card)
Mascarpone whipped cream
- Mascarpone cheese: Use full fat mascarpone cheese, not lightened..
- Heavy cream: Your choice of full-fat heavy cream with at least 30% fat or whipping heavy cream with 35% fat but mostly cold.
- Powdered sugar: Powdered sugar only, not granulated sugar, which gives a grainy texture to the frosting.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract, vanilla bean seeds or vanilla bean paste.
Fresh strawberry filling
A mixture of fresh strawberry sliced and mixed with granulated sugar. The strawberries are soaked in the sugar and make a sweeter, juicy strawberry filling like a Strawberry compote.
On contact with the sugar, the fresh strawberry slices give off water and this juice soaks the cake layers, making it even softer.
You will find the quantities and instructions in the recipe card below in this page
Material needed for this cake
- 6 inches / 15 cm cake pan (this cake is baked in 3 batches)
- Stand mixer and hand mixer
- Angled spatula and a steel icing smoother
- A turntable and a cake board
- A sponge knife
You may also like: Top 10 materials to have to make the prettiest cakes!
How to Make Strawberry Cream Cake
Making the cake layer
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and set up 3 unlined 6-inch/ 15 cm cake pans. (or bake in 2 batches in the same pan)
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl, cake flour, salt and baking powder and sift at least twice.
- In another container, mix the liquid ingredients, egg yolks, vegetable oil, ¾ of the sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Stir the liquids into the flour mixture and set aside.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and mix at medium speed for 4 minutes until bubbles appear.
- Then add cream of tartar (or lemon juice) and remaining sugar and beat on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes until you have a soft peaks form but not too stiff meringue.
- Gently fold the meringue into the other ingredients with a spatula until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared cake pans and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Do not open the oven door during the baking time.(Check the baking with a toothpick inserted in the center which should come out clean)
- Let the cakes cool for at least 1 ½ hours before removing from the pan and letting them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours before assembling the cake.
Tip: You can remove the crust from the cake layers with a sponge knife if you want to have very white layers.
- Place the sliced strawberries in a bowl with the granulated sugar and mix with a tablespoon.
- Let the strawberries rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge and remove the excess juice before starting the assembly.
Tip: You can replace fresh strawberries with other fruits, such as peaches, raspberries, blueberries, exotic fruits, fresh berries etc…
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of your mixer or in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, the cold heavy cream, the cold mascarpone cream, the powdered sugar and the vanilla extract.
- Beat at medium speed for about 3 to 4 minutes until you have a smooth, cream cheese mixture.
Tip: Be sure to beat at medium speed, not high speed, and always keep an eye on the texture to avoid having a grainy cream.
Assemble the cake
- Place a cake board or a serving platter on your turntable and place a first cake layer.
- Top with mascarpone whipped cream, making a hollow in the center to hold the strawberry filling (be careful not to put too much juice in as it may spill over).
- Add a little whipped cream on top to enclose the strawberries and smooth with an angled spatula.
- Place the second layer of cake and repeat the last step then finish with the third layer of sponge cake.
- Cover the entire cake with a thin layer of mascarpone cream and smooth with the spatula and a frosting smoother if needed.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the remaining whipped cream and a piping bag and add fresh strawberries to decorate.
- Place your strawberries and whipped cream cake in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving it with a homemade strawberry sauce.
You may also like: How to cover a cake for a perfect smooth finish
Storage and Tips
In the fridge: This strawberry cake can only be stored in the fridge for about 2 to 3 days and covered with cling film.
Make ahead of time: The chiffon cake can be prepared 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator covered with cling film or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Make the D-day: The strawberry filling and fresh whipped cream frosting are to be prepared on the day of assembly.
Can you freeze this cake? This cake is made of fresh strawberries which do not thaw well, so I do not recommend freezing it.
Change fresh strawberries with other fresh berries, like fresh raspberries, fresh blueberries or fresh berries like my Berries naked cake.
You will also love
- Chocolate birthday cake
- Vanilla birthday cake
- Chocolate naked cake
- Strawberry swirl cheesecake
- Fresh strawberry Charlotte cake
- Vanilla raspberry cake
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print