Strawberry and cream cake with a sweet and juicy strawberry filling (For a 6 inch / 15 cm cake - 8 servings)
- 5 eggs at room temperature
- 188 g (3/4 cup) Sugar - granulated
- 163 g (1 cup) Cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder - approx. 7,5 g
- 1 pinch of salt
- 94 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil - grape seed or sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of tartar - or fresh lemon juice
- 94 ml (1/3 cup) milk - or water
Mascarpone whipped cream
- 250 g (8,8 oz) mascarpone cheese - cold
- 250 g (3/4 cup) heavy cream - full fat and cold
- 2 - 3 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 200 g fresh strawberries
- 1 - 2 tbsp. Sugar - granulated
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and prepare 3 unlined 6 inch / 15 cm diameter aluminum cake pans. (see notes for baking in 2 batches)
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, cake flour, salt and baking powder and sift at least twice and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks with the vegetable oil, 3/4 of the sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a hand mixer or your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Beat on medium slow speed for 3 - 4 minutes until bubbles appear.
- Then add the cream of tartar and remaining sugar and beat on high speed for another 3 - 4 minutes until you have a firm but not too stiff meringue.
- Add a small amount of meringue to the bowl containing the other ingredients and mix quickly to loosen the mixture.
- Then gently fold in the rest of the meringue with a spatula, working in circular motions from the center to the outside until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the batter into the 3 unlined molds and run a knife through to remove any air pockets.
- Bake in the oven on the middle rack for 30 to 35 minutes without opening the oven door until golden brown on top. (Check for baking by sticking a toothpick in the center and it should come out clean)
- Remove the pans from the oven and let them cool completely, upside down, for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn out the cakes by gently running a knife around the edges.
- Cover the cakes with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- In a medium bowl, place the sliced strawberries with the granulated sugar and mix.
- Let stand in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Remove excess juice before assembling.
Mascarpone whipped cream:
- Place the cold heavy cream, cold mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Beat with an electric whisk or your stand mixer on medium speed for about 4 minutes until you have a thick, stiff whipped cream.
Assembly of the layer cake:
- Place a cake board on your turntable and place a first layer of cake.
- Add a small amount of mascarpone whipped cream and hollow out the center to put the strawberry filling in.
- Cover the strawberries with whipped cream to enclose them in the center.
- Place a second layer of cake and repeat the last step then finish with the last layer of cake.
- Cover the entire cake with the mascarpone whipped cream and smooth with a spatula or an icing smoother.
- Decorate the top with the remaining whipped cream and a piping bag and add fresh strawberries.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator for about 1 hour before serving with a sprinkling of confectioners' sugar.
Storage: 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Baking in 2 batches: Pour the batter evenly into 2 pans or divide the batter in 2 and bake in one pan at a time for about 30 minutes. Cut the cakes when they are very cold with a cake knife in 3 or 4 layers.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Cake, layer cake, dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 575
- Sugar: 28.9 g
- Sodium: 372.5 mg
- Fat: 40.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 47.1 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 191.7 mg
Keywords: strawberry and cream cake, strawberry cream cake, strawberry whipped cream cake, strawberry with whipped cream