The strawberry layer cake is an easy recipe and it is prepared in the traditional French fraisier style. It is composed of a rich and dense white sponge cake, a delicious mousseline cream and fresh strawberries.
Strawberry Layer Cakes
This French fraisier-style strawberry layer cake is delicious and very rich. It is perfect for a birthday, Mother's Day or any other special occasion.
Made with a dense and rich sponge cake that is called White cake because it is whiter than other sponge cakes and this is because it is made only with egg whites. The filling is a mousseline cream that is found in the recipe for the French fraisier, also some fresh strawberries and a buttercream frosting for the outside.
This makes it a very rich cake, for a lighter version you can take a look at my strawberry vanilla layer cake with a lighter mascarpone whipped cream.
Composition of this cake
- A buttery sponge cake with a dense texture, the White cake.
- A mousseline cream called also the German buttercream which is the combination of the custard cream and the butter.
- Delicious strawberries.
- Swiss meringue buttercream.
You will also like : Best 10 cake decorating tools for great cakes !
How to make the strawberry layer cake
- Preheat the oven and line your cake pans with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a container
- Mix together the buttermilk and liquid vanilla extract in another container
- Whisk together the vegetable oil, soft butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer or in the bowl of your stand mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg whites one at a time while still running the mixer.
- Alternately add the liquid and dry mixtures until you obtain a homogeneous dough.
- Divide your batter into 3 parts and pour into your cake pans (bake in 3 batches)
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Turn out and let them cool completely on a rack.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fresh for at least 2 hours.
The mousseline cream
- Bring the milk to a boil with the vanilla bean, cut and scraped, and let it infuse for a few minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl with a hand whisk for 1 minute then add the cornstarch.
- Remove vanilla bean from hot milk and strain.
- Pour the hot milk over the yolk-sugar mixture, while whisking, then return the mixture to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly. When it starts to boil, continue cooking for another minute.
- Transfer the cream to a dish and cover with cling film.
- Let cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Beat the butter with an electric whisk for 5 minutes.
- Add the cold custard gradually and beat for another 5 minutes.
- Keep your cream in the fridge until ready to assemble.
Swiss meringue buttercream
You can follow the step by step preparation of the Swiss meringue buttercream
- Place a first layer of cake on a turntable and place a ring of buttercream with a pastry bag on the edges.
- Fill the inside with mousseline cream and place fresh strawberries, cover with a second layer of mousseline and place a second layer of cake
- Repeat this step until you reach the last layer of cake.
- Apply a very thin layer of Swiss meringue buttercream over the entire cake to seal in the crumbs.
- Let stand in a fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Cover with a thicker layer and smooth with a icing smoother.
- Decorate the top with a pastry bag and strawberries.
- Keep it in the fridge and take it out about 30 minutes before serving.
You will also like : How to frost a cake for perfect finish !
It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 5 days.
Watch my how i make this recipe in video
- Strawberry vanilla layer cake
- Strawberry chocolate layer cake
I'd love to see yours 😉 So feel free to share your photos with me, leave a comment and tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my recipe!
Strawberry layer cake
Vanilla white cake
- 385 g flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 118 ml buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla - liquid
- 113 g butter - room temperature
- 63 ml vegetable oil
- 225 g sugar
- 4 egg whites - room temperature
- 500 ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 100 g egg yolks - 5 yolks
- 100 g sugar
- 60 g cornstarch
- 200 g butter - soft
Swiss meringue buttercream
- 150 g egg whites - 4-5 whites
- 200 g sugar
- 250 g butter - soft cut into pieces
- 1 tso vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
White chocolate drip
- 50 g white chocolate
- 25 ml heavy cream
- 150 g Strawberry
Vanilla white cake
- Preheat the oven to 320°F / 160°C and line a 6 inch 15 cm diameter cake pan with parchment paper (bake in 3 batches).
- In a container, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another container, place the buttermilk and vanilla together and set aside.
- Place the soft butter, oil and sugar in a large bowl and beat with a whisk for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Then add the egg whites one by one while leaving the mixer running and finish by adding alternately the mixture of dry ingredients and the liquids.
- Divide the mixture into 3 parts and bake for about 40-45 minutes (baking in 3 batches).
- Let your cakes cool for a few minutes before unmolding them and letting them cool to room temperature on a cake rack.
- Cover your cakes with cling film and place them in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil with the split and scraped vanilla bean, then let it infuse for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the yolks with the sugar, then add the cornstarch.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the milk and pour it into the bowl containing the yolks, sugar and cornstarch.
- Mix well and then return to the saucepan over medium heat, whisking continuously until the mixture thickens, at the first boil continue to mix for another minute.
- Pour the mixture into a dish, cover with plastic wrap and leave to cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Place the butter in the bowl of your mixer and whip for 5 minutes at high speed, then add the custard and continue to whip for another 5 minutes, keep your mousseline cream in the fridge until assembly.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Place the egg whites with the sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer and place in a saucepan with a base of water.
- Heat in a double boiler over medium heat while stirring with a hand whisk, bringing the mixture to 55°C.
- Then place the bowl on the base of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment and beat at high speed for at least 10 - 15 minutes until the meringue is firm and the mixture is completely cool.
- Turn down the speed and add the softened butter cut into pieces, vanilla and salt.
- Process on high speed for about 10 minutes, the mixture will be liquid at first, then grainy before firming up.
- Set aside at room temperature until ready to assemble.
- In a double boiler, place the chopped white chocolate with the heavy cream and over low heat melt this mixture. Reserve at room temperature until assembly.
- Fill 2 pastry bags with the mousseline cream and the Swiss meringue butter cream.
- Place a base on your turntable and place a first layer of sponge cake and place a ring of buttercream on the edges.
- Fill the inside with mousseline cream and place slices of strawberries and cover again with mousseline cream.
- Place a second layer of cake and repeat this last step, finishing with the last layer of cake.
- Cover completely with a thin layer of buttercream and smooth quickly to crumbs coat and place in the fridge for 10 -15 minutes
- Apply a new layer of buttercream and smooth with an icing smoother.
- Add the white chocolate dripping and spill it over the sides of the cake.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the remaining buttercream and strawberries.
- Keep in a fridge and take it out 30 minutes before serving it.