How to make the best mascarpone frosting recipe with a perfectly fluffy and light texture to decorate all your desserts and baked goods.
You only need 3 ingredients and an electric mixer to make this mascarpone whipped frosting, and you won't be able to do without it to fill your cakes or simply to eat with fresh fruits.
What is mascarpone whipped cream frosting?
Of all the frostings in the world of baking, this mascarpone frosting is certainly everyone's favorite frosting! Perfect for filling, piping, in desserts with fresh fruit, or for topping your pie.
This frosting is made of only 3 basic ingredients, Italian cream cheese called mascarpone cheese, heavy cream and powdered sugar, to which you can then add a multitude of different flavors to create tasty frostings.
It s very easy to make at home and by following my instructions and tips I give you the keys to succeed every time.
>> See all the frosting recipes of the blog
Why we love this recipe
Mascarpone cream cheese frosting is a popular recipe because of its consistency, which is much firmer and stable frosting than a simple whipped cream but with a much lighter texture than a buttercream.
It is a sweet and airy cream like a cloud, flavored with vanilla, and it goes perfectly with all the flavors, both fruity, chocolate or even in savory recipes.
We like to use it to fill cake layers, strawberry shortcake like my strawberry and cream cake recipe, it's also perfect to use with a piping bag for topping cupcakes.
This mascarpone frosting takes only 5 minutes of preparation to obtain a ready-to-use frotsing with a smooth and fluffy texture.
Ingredients for this recipe
These are the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make this delicious mascarpone frosting at home, scroll down to see the ingredient quantities in the recipe card.
- Heavy cream: Use a full-fat chilled heavy cream with at least 30% fat or heavy whipping cream for a more stable whipped cream. It must be cold and not a low-fat cream.
- Mascarpone cheese: It must be cold and you can slightly beat it to soften the texture.
- Powdered Sugar: sifted, especially if you are making large quantities, you can also us confectioners sugar. For a smooth texture and a white cream, avoid using granulated sugar or brown sugar.
- Vanilla: to flavor the frosting, use liquid vanilla extract or the seeds of a vanilla bean, but be careful if you use powdered vanilla or seeds, you'll get little black spots in the frosting.
⚠️You will find the quantities and instructions to make this recipe in the recipe card at the end of the page.
Useful tools : Stand mixer or a powerful electric hand mixer
How to make Mascarpone whipped cream frosting
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, the cold cream, cold mascarpone cheese, sifted powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat on medium speed (speed 6 - 8 on the Kitchen Aid) for about 5 minutes until you have a thick mascarpone mixture, stiff peaks form and a stable whipped cream.
- Your mascarpone frosting is ready to be used immediately to eat fresh strawberries or to fill and decorate your desserts.
Tips: Be careful not to overbeat your mascarpone frosting as it may become grainy and lose its creamy consistency.
What to do with a mascarpone whipped cream
However, the mascarpone frosting remains a fragile preparation which is not stable at room temperature unlike other recipes used in pastry.
Like the Swiss meringue buttercream or the American buttercream. You will not be able to use your mascarpone frosting to perfectly smooth a cake or under the sugar paste.
Here is a list of things you can do with your frosting:
- Egg-free tiramisu
- Fill choux pastry
- To serve with fresh fruit
- To piping cupcakes
- Filling and decorating a cake
- Roll cake
- Desserts in glasses
- Number cake
How to flavor my frosting?
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: for a chocolate-flavored mascarpone frosting.
- Fruit puree: strawberry, raspberry, mango, blueberry, banana.
- Cookie crumbs: Oreo, Biscoff, cookies, graham crackers.
- Citrus fruits: lemon zest and juice, orange, grapefruit.
- Spices: ground cinnamon, apple pie spices, chai spices.
- Almond extract
Tips for making this frosting
- Use a full-fat cream: With a fat content of at least 30% or whipping cream.
- Keep the ingredients cold: Especially for the cream and mascarpone, you can also put the bowl and whisk in the fridge for 20 minutes before starting the recipe.
- Always mix at medium speed: The risk of rushing is to miss the frosting which will grainy and lose its smooth texture.
- Whip the cream when you are about to use it: You won't be able to beat it twice, so whip the cream at the last minute.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, mascarpone is a type of Italian cream cheese, and whipping cream is a heavy cream with a high percentage of fat used in pastry.
You have overbeaten the cream and the fat has split from the liquid. To catch up the cream you need to add a small amount of cold heavy cream to your mixture while letting the mixer run until the texture is smooth.
Your ingredients are not cold enough, if necessary place the mixing bowl and whisk in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before making the cream.
Store your frosting in the refrigerator in a container with a lid for about 2-5 days.
With gel or powder food coloring to be added at the beginning of the preparation so that they dilute well into the wet ingredients.
It is precisely the addition of the mascarpone cheese, which is more rich, that helps to stabilize this frosting, without that it would be a simple whipped cream with a light consistency.
More whipped frosting recipes
- Chocolate whipped ganache
- Vanilla diplomat cream
- Whipped white chocolate ganache frosting
- Coconut frosting
- Italian Meringue
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
Delicious mascarpone frosting for filling and decorating your cakes. (quantity to decorate 10-12 cupcakes) Double the quantities to fill and decorate a cake of 6 inch / 15 cm.
- 250 ml (1 cup) Heavy cream- full fat and cold
- 125 g (4,5 oz) Mascarpone cheese - cold
- 65 g (½ cup) Confectioner's sugar or powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract or ½ vanilla pod
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, the heavy cream, cold mascarpone cheese, sifted confectioner's sugar and vanilla.
- Beat at high speed for about 5 minutes until you have a thick, firm cream.
- Be careful not to overbeat the cream or it will be grainy. If it is, add very cold heavy cream in very small amounts while letting the mixer run to smooth the frosting.
- Use the frosting immediately in your desserts.
Storage: In the refrigerator for 1 week.
For a more stable : Use an equal amount of heavy cream and mascarpone.
You can place the mixer bowl and whisk in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to successfully whip the cream.
For a less sweet: reduce the amount of sugar.
Remove the sugar and add a pinch of salt and herbs like dill and lemon juice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert, frosting
- Cuisine: french
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 14
- Fat: 12
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 39
Keywords: mascarpone whipped cream, mascarpone frosting
Leave a Reply