This mascarpone whipped cream frosting is easy and perfect! This is my favorite recipe, it's light as a cloud ☁️ and full of freshness. Great for filling and topping your layer cake, cupcakes and so delicious in desserts with fresh fruit 🥰.
Best mascarpone whipped cream frosting
Of all the frostings in the world of baking, mascarpone whipped cream is certainly everyone's favorite recipe! Unlike other frostings such as buttercream recipes or chocolate ganache, it is the lightest and easiest to make after the classic homemade whipped cream recipe.
In addition to being quick to make, it's also a very easy frosting if you follow my instructions. And you only need 3 ingredients, heavy cream with at least 30% fat, mascarpone and confectioner's sugar.
This mascarpone frosting takes only 5 minutes of preparation to obtain a ready-to-use cream with a smooth and creamy texture, perfect to fill and decorate all your cakes.
What to do with a mascarpone whipped cream
Here is a list of things you can do with your frosting:
- Egg-free tiramisu
- Fill choux pastry
- To serve with fresh fruit
- To piping cupcakes
- Filling and decorating a cake
- Roll cake
- Desserts in glasses
- Number cake
However, it remains a fragile frosting and is not stable at room temperature unlike other recipes used in pastry. Like the Swiss meringue buttercream or the American buttercream. You will not be able to use it to perfectly smooth a cake or under the sugar paste.
You may also like: How to perfectly frost a cake
To make this recipe you only need one essential utensil to make a successful frosting.
You may also like: 10 best cake decorating tools for beginners decorating
Ingredients for this recipe
- Heavy cream: Use a full fat heavy cream with at least 30% fat or a 35% professional heavy cream. It must be cold and not a low-fat cream.
- Mascarpone cheese : It must be cold and you can slightly beat it to soften the texture.
- Confectioner's sugar: sifted, especially if you are making large quantities. For a smooth texture and a white cream, avoid using granulated powdered sugar or brown sugar.
- Vanilla: to flavor the frosting, use liquid vanilla extract or the seeds of a vanilla bean, but be careful if you use powdered vanilla or seeds, you'll get little black spots in the frosting.
How to make Mascarpone whipped cream
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, the cold heavy cream, cold mascarpone, sifted confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat on medium-high speed (speed 6 - 8 on the Kitchen Aid) for about 5 minutes until you have a thick, stiff peaks form and a stable whipped cream.
- Your frosting is ready to be used immediately to fill and decorate your desserts.
⚠️ Be careful not to overbeat the mixture as it may become grainy.
FAQS - Frequently asked questions about mascarpone whipped cream
You have overbeaten the cream and the fat has split from the liquid. To catch up the cream you need to add a small amount of cold heavy cream to your mixture while letting the mixer run until the texture is smooth.
Your ingredients are not cold enough, if necessary place the bowl and whisk in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before making the cream.
Store your cream in the refrigerator in a container with a lid for about 2-5 days.
With gel or powder food coloring to be added at the beginning of the preparation so that they dilute well into the liquid ingredients.
It is precisely the addition of the mascarpone, which is more rich, that helps to stabilize this frosting, without that it would be a simple whipped cream with a light consistency.
For a more stable frosting
My recipe is already perfect to get a light whipped cream with good stability. But you can strengthen the texture even more and get a firmer cream with a better hold by following this ratio:
Use a 1:1 ratio for a more stable frosting (e.g. 250 g of heavy cream + 250 g of mascarpone cream)
How to flavour my frosting ?
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: for a chocolate whipped cream.
- Fruit puree: strawberry, raspberry, mango, blueberry, banana.
- Cookie crumbs: oreo, speculoos, cookies.
- Cream cheese : instead of the mascarpone cream.
- Citrus fruits: lemon zest and juice, orange, grapefruit.
- Spices: ground cinnamon.
Other frosting recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!
Mascarpone whipped cream
- 250 ml Heavy cream - Whole 30 - 35 % mg
- 125 g Mascarpone - cold
- 65 g Confectioner's sugar - sifted
- 1 tsp Vanilla - Liquid vanilla extract, meal or ½ vanilla bean
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, the heavy cream, cold mascarpone, sifted confectioner's sugar and vanilla.
- Beat at high speed for about 5 minutes until you have a thick, firm cream.
- Be careful not to overbeat the cream or it will be grainy. If it is, add very cold heavy cream in very small amounts while letting the mixer run to smooth the frosting.
- Use the frosting immediately in your desserts.
For a more stable : Use a mixture of heavy cream and mascarpone.
You can place the mixer bowl and whisk in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to successfully whip the cream.
For a less sweet: reduce the amount of sugar.
Remove the sugar and add a pinch of salt and herbs like dill and lemon juice.