Best chocolate mascarpone frosting recipe, light and creamy! This is a super easy and very quick recipe in just 10 minutes of time you will have a delicious chocolate-flavored frosting to decorate and fill all your baked goods and homemade desserts.
Why you'll love this recipe
If you like the classic mascarpone frosting recipe then here is my chocolate version, the chocolate mascarpone frosting. This frosting is made with only 4 ingredients, mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, unsweetened cocoa powder, and confectioner's sugar.
This chocolate mascarpone cream recipe is very different from the classic chocolate ganache recipe. It is lighter than a buttercream recipe, has a more airy and less silky texture, and is less heavy than a ganache.
Also much less sweet than other frosting recipes and with a very fresh taste, a bit like a chocolate whipped cream but stabilized with the addition of mascarpone which gives it a more firm hold.
More frostings with mascarpone
What is mascarpone frosting?
For those of you who are not very familiar with mascarpone icings, I'll give you a quick intro to this fabulous product. Mascarpone cream is a soft Italian cream cheese, similar to cream cheese but with a milder taste.
It is used in the composition of several recipes and especially in dessert recipes. It can be found in the popular tiramisu recipe.
Combined with other ingredients it makes great frosting like mascarpone cream cheese frosting, or like here with whipped cream for this chocolate frosting recipe.
It is an easy and foolproof recipe, but above all what we like is that it is very fast, ready in only 10 minutes! It's perfect for filling a cake, in a tiramisu, for your homemade desserts, decorating cupcakes or as an exterior icing on your cakes.
How does this chocolate frosting taste?
Unlike other frostings such as chocolate buttercream or whipped chocolate ganache, this frosting is simply made out of cocoa powder. It has a chocolatey taste, but it remains quite discreet and sweet.
It is not as rich and strong as other chocolate fillings.
Ingredients you need
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make this mascarpone chocolate frosting at home, scroll down to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Mascarpone cream: Use full-fat mascarpone cheese and very cold.
- Confectioner's sugar: Powdered sugar or icing sugar, do not replace it with granulated sugar as this will result in a cream that is not very smooth with visible grains.
- Cocoa powder: Only unsweetened and bitter cocoa powder.
- Heavy cream: Ful fat heavy cream or heavy whipping cream with at least 30% fat and very cold.
- Vanilla extract: Optional, vanilla bean seeds, or liquid vanilla extract to flavor the frosting.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make Mascarpone Chocolate Frosting
- Sift together the unsweetened cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar through a fine sieve until you have a well-blended mixture.
- Then place in a large bowl, the cold mascarpone cheese, the confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder mixture and the vanilla extract (optional).
- Beat with a hand mixer at medium speed for about 1-2 minutes until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
- Then add the cold heavy cream and continue to mix with a hand mixer at medium speed for about 2-4 minutes until you have a smooth and firm frosting.
- Use this chocolate mascarpone frosting immediately in your cake or dessert.
Tip: Be very careful not to overbeat the mixture and at too fast a speed. When it is beaten too long, it may slice and have a runny texture.
FAQS - Frequently asked questions
Yes, it is possible to prepare it in advance, but once it is chilled it will lose some of its creaminess and smoothness. It is better to prepare it at the last moment and use it immediately.
The cream can become grainy if whipped too quickly and for too long. Gradually add very cold heavy cream while mixing with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth.
It remains a delicate cream compared to other frostings such as buttercream or ganache. It is not at all recommended to use it under sugar paste or in cakes that must remain at room temperature for a long time.
- Fill and cover a chocolate birthday cake or a vanilla birthday cake.
- Fill a chocolate crepe cake.
- Piping raspberry cupcakes or strawberry cupcakes with a pastry bag and a tip.
- In a chocolate tiramisu recipe or other chocolate mousse cake or chocolate desserts.
- To garnish a chocolate pavlova recipe.
Storage and Tips
In the fridge: Store your frosting in the fridge for about 2-3 days in a container with a lid or cover with plastic wrap.
Can I freeze this frosting? It's not possible to freeze this whipped cream frosting, as it will lose its texture when thawed and can no longer be used in your cakes. But if it's already inside a cake, it can be frozen.
Tip 1: Using cold, full-fat ingredients, place all the ingredients in a bowl that you can put in the freezer for 10 minutes before whipping.
Tip 2: Preferably use your electric mixer rather than a stand mixer to keep an eye on the texture, which will thicken quickly.
Tip 3: Beat at low speed to avoid over-mixing, which could result in the ingredients separating and grainy consistency.
You will also love
- White chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream
- Chocolate ganache cake frosting recipe
- Whipped chocolate ganache frosting
- Milk chocolate ganache
- Chocolate rocher glaze
- Coconut whipped white chocolate frosting
- Strawberry whipped cream
- Raspberry whipped cream frosting
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print