Best chocolate mascarpone frosting recipe, light and creamy! This is a super easy and very quick recipe in just 10 minutes of time you will have a delicious chocolate-flavored frosting to decorate and fill all your baked goods and homemade desserts.
If you like the classic mascarpone frosting recipe then here is my chocolate version, the chocolate mascarpone frosting. This frosting is made with only 4 ingredients, mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, unsweetened cocoa powder, and confectioner's sugar.
This chocolate mascarpone cream recipe is very different from the classic chocolate ganache recipe. It is lighter than a buttercream recipe, has a more airy and less silky texture, and is less heavy than a ganache.
Also much less sweet than other frostings recipes and with a very fresh taste, a bit like a chocolate whipped cream but stabilized with the addition of mascarpone which gives it a more firm hold.
What is mascarpone frosting
For those of you who are not very familiar with mascarpone icings, I'll give you a quick intro to this fabulous product. Mascarpone cream is a soft Italian cream cheese, similar to the cream cheese but with a milder taste.
It is used in the composition of several recipes and especially in dessert recipes. It can be found in the popular tiramisu recipe. Combined with other ingredients it makes great frosting like mascarpone cream cheese frosting, or like here with whipped cream for this chocolate frosting recipe.
It is an easy and foolproof recipe, but above all what we like is that it is very fast, ready in only 10 minutes! It's perfect for filling a cake, in a tiramisu, for your homemade desserts, to decorate cupcakes or as an exterior icing on your cakes.
How does this chocolate frosting taste?
Unlike other frostings such as chocolate buttercream or whipped chocolate ganache, this frosting is simply made out of cocoa powder. It has a chocolatey taste, but it remains quite discreet and sweet. It is not as rich and strong as other chocolate fillings.
What you will need to make this chocolate frosting
- Mascarpone cream: full fat and very cold.
- Confectioner's sugar: do not replace it with granulated sugar as this will result in a cream that is not very smooth with visible grains.
- Cocoa powder: unsweetened and bitter.
- Heavy cream: whole with at least 30% fat and very cold.
- Vanilla extract: optional, vanilla bean seeds or liquid vanilla extract to flavor the frosting.
How to make chocolate mascarpone frosting
- Sift together the unsweetened cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar through a fine sieve until you have a well-blended mixture.
- Then place in a large bowl, the cold mascarpone cheese, the confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder mixture and the vanilla extract (optional).
- Beat with an hand mixer at medium speed for about 1-2 minutes until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
- Then add the cold heavy cream and continue to mix with an hand mixer at medium speed for about 2-4 minutes until you have a smooth and firm frosting.
- Use this chocolate mascarpone frosting immediately in your cake or dessert.
Tip: Be very careful not to overbeat the mixture and at too fast a speed. When it is beaten too long, it may slice and have a runny texture.
FAQS - Frequently asked questions about mascarpone whipped cream
Yes, it is possible to prepare it in advance, but once it is chilled it will lose some of its creaminess and smoothness. It is better to prepare it at the last moment and use it immediately.
The cream can become grainy if whipped too quickly and for too long. Gradually add very cold heavy cream while mixing with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth.
It remains a delicate cream compared to other frostings such as buttercream or ganache. It is not at all recommended to use it under sugar paste or in cakes that must remain at room temperature for a long time.
What to do with this chocolate frosting
- Fill and cover a chocolate layer cake.
- Fill a crepe cake.
- Piping cupcakes with a pastry bag and a tip.
- In a chocolate tiramisu recipe.
- To garnish a chocolate pavlova recipe.
In the fridge: Store your frosting in the fridge for about 2-3 days in a container with a lid or cover with plastic wrap.
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting
- Chocolate ganache cake frosting recipe
- Molly cake sponge for layer cake
- Chocolate cupcakes & marshmallow frosting
- Brownie layer cake with mascarpone whipped cream
- Easy almond filling cream
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print