The recipe for the simple dark chocolate ganache is perfect for your layer cakes! Simple and quick to make, to use as a smoothing of the cover or as a filling in your layer cakes.
What's a chocolate ganache :
A chocolate ganache is simply a mixture of chocolate + cream. (liquid cream, fresh cream...). From the emulsion of these 2 ingredients we obtain a delicious silky mixture, to garnish, smooth or decorate your cakes.
Why choose the simple dark chocolate ganache for your layer cakes?
First of all, let's remember that to build up a layer we must use creams that have a good and firm hold. In order to stabilize all the layers of your layer cake.
Such as Swiss meringue buttercream, a buttercream or this simple dark chocolate ganache.
- This chocolate ganache has a 1:1 ratio (amount of chocolate = amount of cream) that gives it a perfect texture as a couverture icing on your layer cakes.
- Also, after a passage in the cold, this ganache hardens in the fridge, it remains firm and as indicated above this is what we are looking for.
It is the ideal couverture icing for your layer cakes.
Also, it is the alternative to my chocolate ganache a pefor perfectly smooth finish .
In fact, the latter is rather used as a couverture icing for layer cakes covered with sugarpaste that can't be kept in the fridge.
In conclusion :
- if your layer cake is composed of a fragile filling. (like a mounted ganache and must therefore be kept in the fridge)
- And that you don't want to use a butter cream for exterior smoothing.
Then you should..:
It's the simple dark chocolate ganache that you should choose for your cake!
How to make the simple dark chocolate ganache
I use pastry chocolate, which you can find in your supermarket, you can also use pebble couverture chocolate such as Valhrona or Callebaut.
Also, it is advisable to chop the chocolate rather than cut it into pieces, so that it melts more easily.
- Start by cutting the chocolate with a large knife and cutting board and place it in a container.
- And pour the liquid cream into a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, as soon as it starts to boil, remove from the heat.
- Then immediately pour the liquid cream into the chocolate in one go. (if you prepare a larger quantity, pour the cream in 2-3 times).
- Then let it rest for a few moments and mix with a wooden spoon or a stiff spatula.
- Finally, mix until no more pieces of chocolate remain, the ganache should be quite liquid and smooth.
- Finish by covering it with cling film and place it in the fridge until it cools down.
How to use the Simple Dark Chocolate Ganache
Start by taking your ganache out of the fridge and let it set at room temperature, it should have the consistency of butter cream.
(Or if you're in a hurry, put your dark chocolate ganache in the microwave on low power in 10-second increments).
To simply cover a cake, apply the ganache directly to the outside of the cake with a angled spatula.
How to store my chocolate ganache
Ganache can be stored for about 1 week in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.
You will also like these chocolate ganache recipes:
- Recipe of the ganache kinder Maxi in simple and whipped version
Simple dark chocolate ganache
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 200 g liquid cream - 30% fat
- Chop the chocolate with a large knife and place it in a container.
- In a saucepan bring the liquid cream to a gentle boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate.
- Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge until cool.