How to make the best chocolate and vanilla cake with this absolutely delicious recipe. Very easy to make at home with only 2 preparations, 3 layers of chocolate sponge and a creamy whipped white ganache frosting, for a perfect birthday cake party.
Looking for a great chocolate vanilla cake? Here is my best recipe which is unanimously appreciated by chocolate lovers as well as those who are not too crazy about chocolate desserts 😉 !
Why you'll love this recipe
This fabulous cake is the perfect combination of chocolate and vanilla in a light and delicious homemade dessert, perfect for any occasion and especially for a birthday party.
To change from the usual buttercream or simple whipped cream frosting, I chose instead white chocolate ganache frosting with mascarpone cheese which has the perfect texture and which goes perfectly with my soft and easy cocoa powder buttermilk chocolate cake.
It is a very simple dessert and these two preparations can be made in advance to save even more time and on the D-day you will only have to take care of the set up and enjoy it 😉 .
More Chocolate cake recipes
Ingredients and substitutions
Chocolate sponge cake
I used my favorite chocolate molly cake recipe which is soft and light and is made with unsweetened cocoa powder.
White chocolate frosting
The whipped white chocolate and mascarpone ganache has a much better hold than a simple whipped ganache and the addition of the mascarpone firms up its texture.
Perfect for filling, covering and decorating layer cakes but requires a bit of technique and mastery as it is still fragile in contrast to a buttercream frosting.
If you would rather make a whipped milk chocolate ganache, then you can simply replace the white chocolate with milk chocolate or follow my whipped chocolate ganache frosting recipe directly.
- White chocolate: Use premium quality white chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa butter, white chocolate with at least 30% at 35 %.
- Cream: Use full-fat heavy cream with 30%-35% fat content.
- Mascarpone: This is an Italian fresh cheese that is usually used to make tiramisu.
- Vanilla: A vanilla bean, seeds or pure vanilla extract. For a frosting with less visible seeds, use an extract or just ½ a bean.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
>> You may also like:10 best cake decoratings tools for beginner
How to make Chocolate cake with vanilla frosting
Chocolate cake batter
- Beat together the sugar, eggs and vanilla in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment for at least 10 minutes until the mixture whitens and doubles in volume.
- Meanwhile, whip the cold heavy cream in a separate bowl with an electric mixer until you have a thick whipped cream.
- Then in a separate bowl, mix and sift together the flour, baking powder, unsweetened cocoa powder and salt.
- Reduce the speed of the stand mixer and add the dry ingredients while leaving the mixer running for no more than 1 minute.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream with a spatula until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into your cake pans lined with parchment paper only in the bottom.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45-55 minutes.
- Turn out the cakes and let them cool down to room temperature before placing them upside down onto a cooling rack until they have cool completely.
- Cover with cling film and chill for at least 2 hours.
Tip: Make the chocolate cake ahead of time and keep it in your fridge, cold it will crumble less and assembly will be easier.
White chocolate ganache
- Bring the whole cream to a boil with the vanilla bean (previously split in 2 and scraped) in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Then let it infuse for 10 minutes.
- Chop the white chocolate finely with a large knife and place in a bowl.
- Heat a saucepan with a little water and melt the white chocolate in a double boiler while stirring until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate in one go and mix with a spatula until a smooth mixture is obtained.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place the completely cooled ganache in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and the cold mascarpone.
- Whisk at medium speed for about 1 to 2 minutes until thick and smooth.
Tip: Run a hand mixer through the mixture to make sure there are no small pieces of chocolate left.
Tip: Be sure to mix at medium speed to avoid over-beating the ganache, which could cause it to slice and become grainy. Keep an eye on the texture while mixing.
- Cut out the bumps of your 3 layers of cake with a cake leveler to have straight cakes of the same thickness.
- Place a first layer of cake on your cake turntable on a cake board.
- Spread a layer of whipped ganache over the entire cake and smooth it with an angled spatula.
- Place a second layer and repeat this step until the third and final layer.
- Cover the entire cake with a very thin layer of whipped ganache to enclose the small crumbs.
- Then apply a new thicker whipped ganache over the whole cake.
- Use icing smoother to smooth the ganache around the cake until the cake is completely white.
Tip: You can use an acrylic disk slightly larger than your cake to apply an even layer of ganache to the layer cake.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a decorating tip (1B) with the remaining frosting.
- Form swirls of ganache on top of the cake.
- Decorate with sugar pearls, chocolate shavings etc…
- Place the chocolate vanilla cake in the fridge for at least 1 hour to firm up the ganache before serving.
You may also like: How to frost a cake for a perfect smoothing
Storage and Freeze
In the fridge: the chocolate cake with vanilla frosting can only be stored in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap or in a storage box for about 3 to 4 days.
In the freezer: Only the chocolate sponge cake can be kept in the freezer, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 3 months.
To defrost, take your sponge cakes out and let them come back to room temperature or directly into the refrigerator.
You will also love
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print