A delicious composition for this chocolate layer cake and vanilla whipped ganache, a soft chocolate cake and a creamy and tasty white chocolate whipped ganache.
This recipe of chocolate layer cake vanilla whipped ganache is perfect to celebrate a birthday at home, it is a very easy cake to make with only 2 preparations.
It was for my daughter's birthday that I made this cake. (this is also why there is no picture of the cutting in this article)
But it was really delicious and very much appreciated! Usually I use the SMBC as a cover glaze, it's less risky but for lack of time (and with 4 kids at home) I had to make it quick and simple.
And finally the cake held well, even if I saw at one point the fragility of the white chocolate ganache.
How to prepare the chocolate layer cake and vanilla whipped ganache
The 2 preparations of this layer cake can be made 1 - 2 days in advance.
Preparation of the chocolate cake
- Start by making the chocolate cake, the chocolate molly cake, prepare and weigh the ingredients.
- First beat together the sugar and eggs in the bowl of your mixer, or in a stand mixer, let the whisk run for about 5-7 minutes. (until you get a foamy preparation that has doubled in volume).
- Meanwhile, mix together the dry ingredients and pour them into the egg-sugar preparation.
- Continue to mix until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Then, in another container, whip the cold liquid cream into a whipped cream and add it to the first preparation. (delicately with a soft spatula).
- Finally, pour your chocolate cake dough into a round cake pan 15 cm/ 6 inch in diameter. (previously lined with baking paper).
- Then bake in a preheated oven for 45-55 minutes. (check the baking with a cake tester or the blade of a knife)
- Finally, when you finish baking, allow your cake to cool a little before unmolding it and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Finally, wrap your chocolate cake in cling film and keep it in the fridge.
Preparation of the vanilla whipped ganache
- Start by chopping the white chocolate and place it in a container.
- Then pour the liquid cream into a saucepan over medium heat, at the first boil, remove from heat and pour in one go over the chopped white chocolate.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or a stiff spatula until the mixture is completely melted. (If necessary, use a blender to smooth the cream).
- Finish by filming it on contact and place in the fridge for at least 1 night.
The day d :
- Start by placing the white chocolate ganache in the bowl of your pastry robot, fitted with a whisk and beat at high speed to assemble the ganache.
- Then add the vanilla extract.
- Finally, incorporate the mascarpone in 2 times while letting the beater rotate.
- Continue to beat the ganache until a thick and firm cream is obtained.
Chocolate layer cake & vanilla whipped ganache assembly
- First of all, prepare around you what you will need. (turntable cake decorating stand, angled spatula, cake leveler, cake scraper ...).
- Then, take the chocolate cake out of the fridge (which must be very cold).
- And using a sponge cake lyre or a large saw knife, cut your cake to obtain 3 layers of chocolate cake.
- Also, place a cake base on your revolving cake tray and place a first layer of chocolate cake, spread a small layer of white chocolate mounted ganache, smooth with a bent spatula.
- Then place a second layer of chocolate cake on top and repeat this step and finish by placing the last layer of cake.
- Start by applying a thin layer with the angled spatula, spread over the whole cake (to enclose all those little chocolate cake crumbs that can mix with the ganache).
- Finally, apply a new layer of ganache and smooth the white chocolate ganache with your cake straightener.
- Place your cake in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
Also keep your ganache mounted in the fridge during this time.
Then poach large swirls of ganache on your cake and sprinkle with unsweetened cocoa.
Preservation of the chocolate layer cake and vanilla ganache
Chocolate cake can be stored for a long time in the refrigerator, at room temperature (1-2 weeks) or in the freezer for up to 3 - 6 months.
On the other hand, the vanilla ganache has a shorter shelf life of about 2 days and always in the fridge.
Chocolate layer cake and vanilla whipped ganache
- 175 g Flour
- 200 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml liquid cream - 30% fat
- 75 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
Vanilla white chocolate wipped ganache
- 400 ml liquid cream - 30% fat
- 296 g white chocolate
- 480 g mascarpone - cold
- 5 ml liquid vanilla
Preparation of the chocolate cake
- Preheat your oven to 320°F/160°C and line a 15 cm /6 inch diameter round baking pan with baking paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together for 5 to 8 minutes, until the mixture doubles in volume.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the egg-sugar mixture while running the mixer at medium speed and until the mixture is homogeneous, then set aside.
- In another container, place the cold whole liquid cream and whisk it until stiff, then gently fold it into the first mixture with a spatula.
- Pour this mixture into your mould and bake for about 45-55 minutes.
- Leave your cake to cool for a few minutes in its mould, then unmould it and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Wrap your cake in cling film and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Preparation of the vanilla white chocolate whipped ganache
- Chop the white chocolate finely and place it in a large container.
- Place the liquid cream in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil
- Then pour the hot cream over the chocolate, stir with a wooden spoon or spatula, the chocolate should be completely melted and the ganache should be smooth
- Film on contact and place in the fridge overnight.
- On the day, whisk the ganache with a whisk.
- then add the liquid vanilla and then the mascarpone in 2 times, and continue to mix until you obtain a thick and firm ganache, use your ganache immediately.
Assembly and decoration
- Cut your cake into 3 layers of equal size using a sponge cake lyre or a saw knife.
- Use a turntable to mount your cake, place a cake base on your turntable, then place a first layer of cake, garnish with a good layer of whipped ganache (you can use a pastry bag to measure the quantity of whipped ganache).
- Place a second layer of cake layer on top and repeat the previous step, finish by placing the last layer of cake and apply with a bent spatula a layer of mounted ganache on top of the whole cake, smooth your cake with one.
- Decorate the top of your cake, using the remaining whipped ganache in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, sprinkle the top of your cake with cocoa and put your layer cake back in the fridge.