Recipe of chocolate layer cake and whipped white chocolate ganache. A simple and easy dessert to make for a birthday cake
And composed of only two preparations, a chocolate sponge cake "Chocolate molly cake" and a whipped vanilla white chocolate ganache.
Are you looking for a simple and induglent chocolate cake recipe with a super light and creamy ganache filling? This layer cake is easy to make and super good !
A light chocolate cake layer
A birthday cake assembled as a layer cake and topped with a smooth and light cream to change from meringue buttercream or the whipped mascarpone cream.
Composed of a perfect chocolate sponge cake called "The chocolate molly cake", a soft, light and perfectly textured layer cake.
And of a creamy, airy and super light cream the whipped vanilla white chocolate ganache.
Useful tools for this recipe
- Stand mixer to make the preparations or an electric mixer.
- Round cake pans of 6 inch / 15 cm diameter for baking sponge cake
- Cake release spray, in addition to parchment paper for perfect pan release.
- A cake leveler, indispensable for cutting layers of sponge cakes of the same thickness.
- An angled spatula, very useful for handling the cream and smoothing the layer cake.
- An icing smoother, to smooht the icing.
- A piping bag, to decorate the layer cake.
- A big star nozzle tip to decorate the top of the layer cake.
- A cake turntable for assembling and smoothing the cake.
- A cake board to support the layer cake.
- A cake tester to check the baking of the sponge cake.
- Quality white chocolate pastry callets for a not too sweetened ganache.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder for the preparation of the chocolate sponge cake
- Eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla beans, or vanilla powder or liquid to flavor the whipped ganache.
How to prepare the chocolate layer cake and vanilla whipped ganache
The 2 preparations of this layer cake can be made 1 - 2 days in advance.
Preparation of the chocolate cake
- Start by making the chocolate molly cake, prepare and weigh the ingredients.
- First beat together the powder sugar and eggs in the large bowl of your stand mixer, let the whisk run for about 5-7 minutes at medium speed. (until you get a foamy preparation that has doubled in volume).
- Meanwhile, mix together the dry ingredients and pour them into the egg-sugar preparation.
- Continue to mix until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Then, in another container, whip the cold liquid cream into a whipped cream and add it to the first preparation. (delicately with a soft spatula).
- Finally, pour your chocolate cake batter into a round cake pan 15 cm/ 6 inch in diameter. (previously lined with parchment paper).
- Then bake in a preheated oven for 45-55 minutes. (check the baking with a cake tester or the blade of a knife)
- Finally, when you finish baking, allow your cake to cool a little before unmolding it and let it cool completely on a cake rack.
- Finally, wrap your chocolate cake in cling film and keep it in the fridge.
Preparation of the vanilla whipped ganache
- Start by chopping the white chocolate and place it in a container.
- Then pour the liquid cream into a saucepan over medium heat, at the first boil, remove from heat and pour the warm cream one go over the chopped white chocolate.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula until the mixture is completely melted. (If necessary, use a hand blender to smooth the cream).
- Finish by filming it on contact and place in the fridge for at least 1 night.
The day d :
- Start by placing the white chocolate ganache in the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with a whisk and beat at high speed to assemble the ganache.
- Then add the vanilla extract.
- Finally, incorporate the mascarpone in 2 times while letting the beater rotate.
- Continue to beat the ganache until a thick and firm cream is obtained.
Chocolate layer cake & vanilla whipped ganache assembly
- First, take the chocolate cake out of the fridge (which must be very cold).
- And using a cake leveler, cut your cake to obtain 3 layers of chocolate cake.
- Also, place a cake board on your turntable cake and place a first layer of chocolate cake, spread a small layer of whipped white chocolate ganache, smooth with a bent spatula.
- Then place a second layer of chocolate cake on top and repeat this step and finish by placing the last layer of cake.
- Start by applying a thin layer with the angled spatula, spread over the whole cake (to enclose all those little chocolate cake crumbs that can mix with the ganache).
- Finally, apply a new layer of ganache and smooth the white chocolate ganache with your cake scraper.
- Place your cake in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
Also keep your whipped ganache in the fridge during this time.
- Take out your ganache and fill a pastry bag with a large star icing tip. (I used a JEM tip)
- Then poach large swirls of whipped ganache on your cake and sprinkle with unsweetened cocoa.
How to store the chocolate layer
Chocolate cake can be stored for a long time in the fridge, at room temperature (1-2 weeks) or in the freezer for up to 3 - 6 months.
On the other hand, the whipped vanilla ganache has a shorter shelf life of about 2 days and always in the fridge.
Other recipes for chocolate layer cakes :
- Chocolate raspberry layer cake
- Layer cake brownie and mascarpone cream
- Layer cake all chocolate
Chocolate layer cake and vanilla whipped ganache
- 175 g Flour
- 200 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml liquid cream - 30% fat
- 75 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
Vanilla white chocolate wipped ganache
- 400 ml liquid cream - 30% fat
- 296 g white chocolate
- 480 g mascarpone - cold
- 5 ml liquid vanilla
Preparation of the chocolate cake
- Preheat your oven to 320°F/160°C and line a 15 cm /6 inch diameter round baking pan with baking paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together for 5 to 8 minutes, until the mixture doubles in volume.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the egg-sugar mixture while running the mixer at medium speed and until the mixture is homogeneous, then set aside.
- In another container, place the cold whole liquid cream and whisk it until stiff, then gently fold it into the first mixture with a spatula.
- Pour this mixture into your mould and bake for about 45-55 minutes.
- Leave your cake to cool for a few minutes in its mould, then unmould it and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Wrap your cake in cling film and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Preparation of the vanilla white chocolate whipped ganache
- Chop the white chocolate finely and place it in a large container.
- Place the liquid cream in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil
- Then pour the hot cream over the chocolate, stir with a wooden spoon or spatula, the chocolate should be completely melted and the ganache should be smooth
- Film on contact and place in the fridge overnight.
- On the day, whisk the ganache with a whisk.
- then add the liquid vanilla and then the mascarpone in 2 times, and continue to mix until you obtain a thick and firm ganache, use your ganache immediately.
Assembly and decoration
- Cut your cake into 3 layers of equal size using a sponge cake lyre or a saw knife.
- Use a turntable to mount your cake, place a cake base on your turntable, then place a first layer of cake, garnish with a good layer of whipped ganache (you can use a pastry bag to measure the quantity of whipped ganache).
- Place a second layer of cake layer on top and repeat the previous step, finish by placing the last layer of cake and apply with a bent spatula a layer of mounted ganache on top of the whole cake, smooth your cake with one.
- Decorate the top of your cake, using the remaining whipped ganache in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, sprinkle the top of your cake with cocoa and put your layer cake back in the fridge.