How to make the best chocolate layer cake! An easy recipe composed of only 2 preparations, a soft chocolate cake and a whipped vanilla chocolate ganache. A perfect composition for a pefect birthday cake and all other occasions to treat your loved ones!
Best chocolate cake with vanilla frosting
Looking for a great chocolate cake? Here is my best recipe which is unanimously appreciated by chocolate lovers as well as those who are not too crazy about it 😉 !
This fabulous cake is the perfect combination of chocolate and vanilla in a light and delicious homemade dessert, perfect for any occasion and especially for a birthday.
To change from the usual buttercream or simple whipped cream frosting, I chose instead a white chocolate and mascarpone ganache which has the ideal texture and which goes perfectly with this soft and easy cream cake: "the chocolate molly cake".
It is a very simple dessert and these two preparations can be made in advance to save even more time and on the D-day you will only have to take care of the assembly and enjoy it 😉 .
Why choose this cake
- Simple with only 2 preparations!
- Perfect combination!
- Light and delicious at the same time!
- Perfect for all occasions!
- Stand mixer
- Round cake pans of 6 inch / 15 cm diameter
- A cake leveler
- An angled spatula
- An icing smoother
- A piping bag
You will also like : Best 10 cake decorating tools for great cakes !
How to make Chocolate and vanilla cake
The 2 preparations can be made 1 to 2 days in advance and should be kept in the refrigerator.
White chocolate and mascarpone ganache
- Chop the white chocolate and put it in a container.
- Bring the heavy cream to a boil with the vanilla bean (previously split in half and scraped) in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate at once and mix with a spatula until smooth. (If necessary, use a hand blender).
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for one night.
- Beat together the sugar and eggs in the bowl of your mixer for at least 10 minutes. (until triple the volume)
- In a bowl mix and sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Lower the speed and add the dry ingredients for 1 min. at most.
- Whip the heavy cream with an electric mixer for 3-4 minutes until thick.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into your pre-lined baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45-55 minutes.
- Unmold the cake and place it upside down on a cooling rack.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Place the cold ganache in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat at high speed for 5 minutes until the ganache has set.
- Beat in the mascarpone in two batches while the mixer is still running.
- Continue beating until you have a thick, firm mixture.
- Cut your cake into 3 equal layers using a large knife.
- Fill and spread a little ganache on the first layer.
- Place a second layer on top and repeat this step until the third and final layer.
Smoothing and decoration
- Start by applying a very thin layer of ganache over the entire cake to seal in the crumbs.
- Then apply a new, thicker layer and smooth with an icing machine.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a decorating tip with the remaining ganache.
- Decorate the top with swirls.
- Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Keep in the fridge only and for about 3 to 4 days.
FAQS - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How to make a Layer Cake stand up ?
In order to make a successful assembly, you have to smooth the filling between each layer of sponge cake and make sure that they are well stacked and aligned.
What size of mold for a Layer Cake ?
The standard pan size is 6 inch / 15 cm in diameter which is for about 10-15 servings.
How to smooth a cake without a turntable?
Without it is less convenient but you will simply need to have your hand holding the smoother around the cake.
Which tip should I choose for the decoration?
Flower and star tips, 1B, 2B or 1M.
More chocolate cake recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print