Try this delicious Tiramisu cake recipe, a cake with the flavors of the traditional Italian dessert, featuring an ultra light and fluffy vanilla sponge soaked in coffee and a creamy mascarpone filling.
This Tiramisu cake reinvents the classic tiramisu recipe into a delightful cake form. Picture layers of soft vanilla genoise sponge, each soaked in rich coffee, combined with a creamy mascarpone frosting and topped with cocoa.
This cake is pure joy for all tiramisu lovers. It's easy to make, featuring a light and airy sponge that resembles lady fingers, and a filling as smooth and creamy as the authentic dessert and perfect for any occasion.
Why you'll love this cake
You need these ingredients to make this tiramisu layer cake:
- Vanilla Sponge: An ultra-soft and light sponge cake made with eggs, granulated sugar, and cake flour, a pinch of salt, and vanilla for flavoring.
- Mascarpone Whipped Cream: Cold mascarpone cheese (Italian cream cheese), heavy cream or heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla flavoring.
- Coffee syrup: A mixture of strong, slightly sweetened espresso coffee.
How to Make Tiramisu Cake
Here are some quick visual instructions. Don't forget that full instructions with exact ingredients can be found in the main recipe card below!
Step 1: Whip the eggs with the granulated sugar and vanilla extract in the large mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment at high speed for about 10 minutes, until light and fluffy and tripled in volume.
Step 2: Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, cake flour and salt and mix with a spatula until incorporated and smooth.
Step 3: Pour the mixture into the 3 prepared pans, lined with baking paper.
Step 4: And bake the sponge cakes in the preheated oven at 350°C/ 180°C for about 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and well baked in the center.
Leave to cool: Turn out the sponge cakes from the cake pans and leave to cool on a wire rack, then cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours. (like me, you can remove the crust from the sponge cakes).
Step 1: Place all ingredients in a large bowl: cold mascarpone, full-fat heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla.
Step 2: Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed until smooth and thick.
Assemble the cake
- Trim the tops of the sponge layers with a cake leveler to have 3 evenly leveled layers.
- Place the first cake layer on a cake board on a rotating cake stand, soak it with cooled black coffee mixture and a pastry brush, apply a layer of mascarpone cream with an offset spatula, and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- Repeat for the second cake layer and finish by placing the last cake layer.
- Cover the entire cake with mascarpone frosting, smooth quickly, and decorate the top using a piping bag with a round nozzle and the remaining frosting.
- Dust the top of the cake with unsweetened cocoa powder and refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Cocoa powder: Simply sprinkle a little unsweetened cocoa powder directly onto the cake.
- Chocolate ganache sauce: A chocolate sauce prepared with melted chocolate and heavy cream for a chocolaty touch.
- Fruit coulis: A raspberry, strawberry or red berry sauce.
- Salted butter caramel: Serve a slice of cake with a drizzle of homemade salted butter caramel.
- Chocolate shavings: Follow my recipe to make homemade chocolate shavings.
Tips for this recipe
In the fridge: Tiramisu cakes can only be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap, for 3-4 days.
Freezing: You can freeze the cake in a storage box for up to 3 months. Let it recover in the fridge.
Variations & Substitutions
More Layer Cakes
I hope you love this fluffy coffee mascarpone tiramisu cake recipe. If you make it, be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Happy Baking!Print