The best recipe for the classic vanilla birthday cake. This easy homemade cake is made with a moist vanilla sponge cake, filled with a mascarpone whipped cream and decorated with an American butter icing.
If you're looking for an easy recipe to celebrate a birthday! I have the perfect cake for you! This cake is super simple and indulgent, vanilla sponge cakes assembled into a layer cake with a light filling and a pretty sugar sprinkles decoration.
Classic vanilla birthday cake
This birthday cake is super easy to make, even if you're not very good at baking. It is composed of 3 layers of soft and moist vanilla-flavored sponge cake. Topped with a light and easy to make cream, the famous mascarpone whipped cream.
And to smooth and decorate this great cake, I chose the American buttercream which is the least technical, simplest and fastest buttercream icing to make.
With this you have the perfect combination of the classic vanilla birthday cake!
Useful tools for this recipe
- Cake pan 6 inch
- Stand mixer or an electric hand mixer
- Cake leveler
- Piping bag with 1B nozzle
- Cake turntable
- Cake scraper
You will also like : Best 10 cake decorating tools for great cakes !
For the vanilla sponge cake I use a " reverse creaming " method which consists in incorporating the butter into the dry ingredients and then adding the liquid ingredients. This would result in a much more tender sponge cake.
How to make the easy vanilla birthday cake
Click here to follow my complete and detailed American Buttercream recipe
Preparation of the vanilla sponge cake
- Preheat the oven to 320°F / 160°C and line 3 round cake pans of 6 inch/ 15 cm diameter with parchment paper.
- Place the liquid ingredients in a medium bowl, the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Place the dry ingredients in the bowl of your stand mixer, flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Mix the dry ingredients for 10 seconds using the paddle attachment.
- Add the chopped butter to the dry ingredients and mix on high speed until you have a sandy mixture.
- Add half of the liquid ingredients and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the other half of the liquid ingredients and mix again for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Divide the mixture into 3 and fill the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 30 - 45 minutes until golden brown on top. (check for doneness by sticking a toothpick in the center and it should come out clean)
- Allow the cakes to cool slightly before removing from the pan and cooling completely on a cake wire.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
When your sponge cakes are cold you can remove the crust with a knife.
Mascarpone whipped cream
- In a medium bowl place all the ingredients, confectioner's sugar, cold mascarpone, cold heavy cream and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer for about 4-5 minutes until you have a thick cream.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to assemble.
Assembly of the birthday cake
- Place a first layer of sponge cake on a cake board and on your cake turntable.
- Fill the inside with a layer of mascarpone whipped cream and smooth with an angled spatula.
- Place a second layer of cake and repeat the previous step then finish by placing the last layer of sponge cake.
- Apply a layer of American buttercream over the entire cake and smooth first with the angled spatula and then finish with a frosting smoother.
- Make swirls with a pastry bag filled with buttercream and a star nozzle.
- Sprinkle with colorful sugar sprinkles.
- Let your cake rest in the fridge.
- Take the cake out 20 minutes before serving.
You will also like : How to frost a cake for perfect finish !
Other recipes for a birthday party
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print