The coconut layer cake is an ultra tasty dessert, a vanilla sponge cake, a coconut ganache, a nice smbc smoothing and a decoration with Raffaello chocolate, grated coconut and dark chocolate sauce.
The Ultra Coconut Cake
The Coconut cake is ultra gourmet! It is composed of a sponge cake with vanilla which is a very dense and rich cake.
Also this Raffaello layer cake is topped with a white chocolate-coconut ganache, a mixture of white chocolate, liquid cream and coconut cream.
The whole thing is assembled in layer cake and smoothed with the superb SMBC - Swiss meringue butter cream, always perfect in a layer cake and which gives it this magnificent white smoothing!
With a nice super gourmet decoration of coconut ganache, poached with my favorite tip 1B !
And don't forget to add Raffaello, sprinkle with grated coconut and the final touch is its delicious dark chocolate sauce!
Why choose coconut layer cake
- The association of white chocolate and coconut!
- An ideal cake for the festive season! (even all year round as a birthday cake)
- Easy to prepare and assemble with only 3 preparations.
My material for this recipe
For this coconut Raffaello layer cake recipe and also for all my other layer cake recipes, always the same utensils that I like to use to make my layer cakes:
For the sponge cake:
- My beloved pastry robot Kitchen Aid artisan (the best investment in pastry and for the culinary blogger that I am!)
- 2 PME aluminum round cake pans for baking the cake. (here a 12 cm diameter)
- A cake tester to check cake baking.
- A sponge cake lyre to cut the cake in layers of the same thickness.
For creams (smbc, ganache, whipped cream etc)
- A powerful electric mixer.
- A cooking thermometer (indispensable for smbc and other recipes such as salted butterscotch or macaroons).
For the assembly and decoration of layer cakes
- A rotating cake stand. ( IN-DIS-PEN-SA-BLE, for an easy, quick assembly, I would never do without my turntable)
- An angled spatula, in mini version (yes the small and angled spatula especially!). So much easier with it to apply, smooth, remove, it's a perfect tool)!
- A set of acrylic discs, different diameters (Investment for perfect smoothing and right angles on your cakes.
- Cake soles a few centimeters wider than your cakes and rigid.
- An icing straightener, at least 15 cm large, preferably made of steel and with right angles.
- Disposable pastry bags. (So handy for filling and decorating a layer cake).
- Large pastry cases. (Wilton or JEM brands my favorites)
How to make the coconut layer cake
Preparation of the sponge cake
- Start by placing butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of your pastry robot and blend with a whisk for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add the eggs, one by one and mix between each addition, then continue mixing for about 5 minutes.
- And add the flour and salt and continue mixing for another minute.
- Finally divide your cake mix and pour into the 2 round baking trays lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for the indicated time, check the baking with a cake tester or the blade of a knife.
- Finish by removing your cakes from the moulds, when they are cooled, cover them with cling film and place them in the chill for at least 2 hours.
Preparation of the Swiss Meringue Butter Cream
- First, place the sugar and egg whites in a large bowl and heat in a bain-marie, while stirring with a hand whisk and controlling the temperature with a cooking thermometer which should reach 55°C.
- Then transfer this mixture to the bowl of your food processor fitted with the whisk and beat at high speed for 10-15 minutes.
- Finally when the mixture has cooled and the Swiss meringue is white, firm and shiny, reduce the speed and incorporate the soft butter cubes.
- Then when the butter has been well incorporated, resume mixing at high speed until the butter cream is white, homogeneous and smooth.
Preparation of the white chocolate coconut ganache
- First, rehydrate the gelatin leaves by immersing it in a bowl of water for 10 minutes and place the chopped white chocolate in a container.
- Then bring the creams, liquid cream and coconut cream to the boil.
- Add the drained gelatin leaves, mix and pour this mixture over the white chocolate
- Finally, stir with a soft spatula until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Finish by blending with a hand blender to smooth the ganache.
- Cover with cling film on contact and place in the fridge overnight.
Assembly and decoration of the Raffaello Cake
- Start by cutting the sponge cake in layers of the same thickness using a cake lyre.
- Then place a cake base on your revolving cake stand and place a first layer of sponge cake.
- Then, place a pudding of Swiss meringue butter cream with the help of a pastry bag (see video).
- And garnish the inside with coconut ganache, smooth with the bent spatula and cover with a second layer of sponge cake.
- Finally, repeat this step for all the remaining layers of sponge cake.
- Next, apply a layer of Swiss Meringue Butter Cream over the entire cake layer and smooth with an icing smoothener.
- And place your cake in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Garnish a pastry bag with the remaining white chocolate and coconut ganache, with a large 1B flower tip.
- Decorate the top of the cake layer with swirls.
- Add Raffaello, sprinkle with grated coconut and serve with the dark chocolate coulant.
How to store my Raffaello Cake
The Raffaello layer cake must be kept in a chill because it contains a fragile cream (the ganache montée).
You can keep it for one week in the fridge or freezer up to 3 months.
The sponge cake sponge cake and butter cream with Swiss meringue can be prepared several days in advance and kept in the fridge.
Coconut layer cake video
Coconut Raffaello layer cake
For the Sponge cake
- 320 g Flour
- 150 g Sugar
- 300 g Butter - softened
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract - liquid
- 1 pinch Salt
For the white chocolate coconut whipped ganache
- 200 g White chocolate
- 100 ml Coconut cream
- 180 ml Cream - 30% fat
- 2 leves Gelatin
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 150 g eggwhites - 4-5 eggwites
- 150 g sugar
- 250 g butter - softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract - liquid
Dark chocolate sauce
- 100 g Dark chocolate
- 150 ml Liquid cream
Preparation of the Sponge Cake
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line 2 round cake moulds of 12 cm diameter with baking paper.
- Place the butter, sugar and liquid vanilla in the bowl of your pastry robot and beat with a whisk for 2 minutes until frothy.
- Then add the eggs one by one and mix well between each addition, then mix for 5 minutes at high speed to obtain a mixture that has doubled in volume.
- Then add the flour and salt and continue to mix until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous cake dough.
- Divide your cake dough and pour it into the 2 moulds and bake for 45-55 minutes.
- At the end of baking, let them cool for a few moments before unmoulding, then completely on a wire rack and wrap them in cling film and place them in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Preparation of the white chocolate coconut whipped ganache
- Rehydrate the gelatine leaves by immersing it in a bowl of water for 10 minutes.
- Start by chopping your white chocolate and place it in a large bowl.
- Bring the 2 liquid creams to the boil, then remove from the heat, add the drained gelatin leaves, mix and pour this mixture over the white chocolate.
- Mix with a spatula until all the chocolate has melted.
- Finish by running a blender through your ganache to smooth it.
- Cover with cling film on contact and place in the fridge overnight.
- On the D-day, whisk the ganache and place it in the fridge until the layer cake is set up.
Preparation of the Swiss meringue buttercream
- Start by placing the whites and sugar in a container and put it on a bain-marie.
- Mix this preparation with a hand whisk while controlling the temperature with a cooking thermometer, which should reach 55°C.
- Once the temperature has been reached, transfer to the bowl of your pastry robot fitted with the whisk and beat at high speed for 10-15 minutes.
- The meringue will cool down and will be ready when it is white, shiny and firm.
- Lower the speed of the food processor and pour in the chopped butter cubes and vanilla.
- Then resume mixing at high speed and blend until the cream is white, smooth and homogeneous.
- Keep your Swiss Meringue Butter Cream at room temperature if you use it during the day, otherwise place it in the fridge.
Preparation of the dark chocolate sauce
- Place the dark chocolate cut into pieces with the cream and heat in the microwave or bain marie until a liquid chocolate sauce is obtained. Add more liquid cream if necessary, if the texture is too thick.
Assembly and decorate the layer cake
- Start by cutting the cake with a sponge cake leveler in several layers of equal thickness.
- Place a cake base on your revolving cake stand, plus a first layer of sponge cake.
- Using a pastry bag filled with Swiss Meringue Butter Cream, place a pudding of cream on the edge of the sponge cake.
- Garnish the inside with the coconut ganache, smooth with the bent spatula and cover with a second layer of sponge cake.
- Repeat this step for the remaining cake layers and cover the whole cake layer with a layer of Swiss meringue butter cream.
- Smooth your cake with an icing straightener and place it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Decorate your Raffaello layer cake with the ganache and the Raffaello, sprinkle with grated coconut and serve with dark chocolate sauce.