Coconut Raffello layer cake, a sponge cake, a coconut white chocolate whipped ganache, a Swiss meringue buttercream (for a 12 cm layer cake 8-10 parts)
For the Sponge cake
- 320 g Flour
- 150 g Sugar
- 300 g Butter (softened)
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract (liquid)
- 1 pinch Salt
For the white chocolate coconut whipped ganache
- 200 g White chocolate
- 100 ml Coconut cream
- 180 ml Cream (30% fat)
- 2 leves Gelatin
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 150 g eggwhites (4-5 eggwites)
- 150 g sugar
- 250 g butter (softened)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (liquid)
Dark chocolate sauce
- 100 g Dark chocolate
- 150 ml Liquid cream
Preparation of the Sponge Cake
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line 2 round cake moulds of 12 cm diameter with baking paper.
- Place the butter, sugar and liquid vanilla in the bowl of your pastry robot and beat with a whisk for 2 minutes until frothy.
- Then add the eggs one by one and mix well between each addition, then mix for 5 minutes at high speed to obtain a mixture that has doubled in volume.
- Then add the flour and salt and continue to mix until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous cake dough.
- Divide your cake dough and pour it into the 2 moulds and bake for 45-55 minutes.
- At the end of baking, let them cool for a few moments before unmoulding, then completely on a wire rack and wrap them in cling film and place them in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Preparation of the white chocolate coconut whipped ganache
- Rehydrate the gelatine leaves by immersing it in a bowl of water for 10 minutes.
- Start by chopping your white chocolate and place it in a large bowl.
- Bring the 2 liquid creams to the boil, then remove from the heat, add the drained gelatin leaves, mix and pour this mixture over the white chocolate.
- Mix with a spatula until all the chocolate has melted.
- Finish by running a blender through your ganache to smooth it.
- Cover with cling film on contact and place in the fridge overnight.
- On the D-day, whisk the ganache and place it in the fridge until the layer cake is set up.
Preparation of the Swiss meringue buttercream
- Start by placing the whites and sugar in a container and put it on a bain-marie.
- Mix this preparation with a hand whisk while controlling the temperature with a cooking thermometer, which should reach 55°C.
- Once the temperature has been reached, transfer to the bowl of your pastry robot fitted with the whisk and beat at high speed for 10-15 minutes.
- The meringue will cool down and will be ready when it is white, shiny and firm.
- Lower the speed of the food processor and pour in the chopped butter cubes and vanilla.
- Then resume mixing at high speed and blend until the cream is white, smooth and homogeneous.
- Keep your Swiss Meringue Butter Cream at room temperature if you use it during the day, otherwise place it in the fridge.
Preparation of the dark chocolate sauce
- Place the dark chocolate cut into pieces with the cream and heat in the microwave or bain marie until a liquid chocolate sauce is obtained. Add more liquid cream if necessary, if the texture is too thick.
Assembly and decorate the layer cake
- Start by cutting the cake with a sponge cake leveler in several layers of equal thickness.
- Place a cake base on your revolving cake stand, plus a first layer of sponge cake.
- Using a pastry bag filled with Swiss Meringue Butter Cream, place a pudding of cream on the edge of the sponge cake.
- Garnish the inside with the coconut ganache, smooth with the bent spatula and cover with a second layer of sponge cake.
- Repeat this step for the remaining cake layers and cover the whole cake layer with a layer of Swiss meringue butter cream.
- Smooth your cake with an icing straightener and place it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Decorate your Raffaello layer cake with the ganache and the Raffaello, sprinkle with grated coconut and serve with dark chocolate sauce.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: cake, Dessert
- Cuisine: americain
- Calories: 528
- Sugar: 52
- Sodium: 155
- Fat: 19
- Saturated Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 77
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 133
Keywords: coconut cake, coconut layer cake, raffaello cake, raffaello layer cake, white chocolate cake