Make this delicious coconut frosting recipe using whipped white chocolate ganache and coconut cream flavor. It is easy, with a fluffy and light texture, perfect for filling and finishing your cakes, pastries, and other baked goods.
If you love all the coconut flavor in your cakes, then you will not resist to this coconut frosting for topping and decorating all your cakes, cupcakes, and homemade pastries.
Made of white chocolate, it is simply a whipped vanilla ganache, deliciously flavored with unsweetened coconut cream and whipped to a creamy and thick frosting.
Only 4 ingredients to make this coconut cream whipped frosting, quality white chocolate chips for a not-too-sweet taste, whipped cream, coconut cream, coconut extract, and optionally some shredded coconut for more texture.
It's very easy to make at home and if you follow my instructions, your coconut cake frosting will be perfect for piping all your cupcakes, layer cakes, pies, and to other holiday cakes.
Here is an overview of the ingredients you will need to make the coconut ganache, scroll down to see the quantities in the recipe card at the end of the page.
- White chocolate: Preferably use white chocolate with at least 30% fat, such as ivory chocolate. You can always use 28% white chocolate chips.
- heavy cream: Use full-fat heavy cream with at least 30% fat or ideally heavy whipping cream with at least 35% fat.
- Coconut cream: You can use full-fat canned coconut cream, but do not use full-fat coconut milk or unsweetened canned coconut milk which is not fatty enough to make this frosting.
- Flavor: Pure vanilla extract and coconut flavor to flavor this frosting.
- Option: You can add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut flakes to give more texture.
>> No need to add powdered sugar to sweeten it because white chocolate is already a good source of sugar.
>> To make a coconut cream cheese frosting you can follow my buttercream cream cheese frosting recipe and add a coconut extract, or make a coconut buttercream frosting following this vanilla buttercream recipe.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make Coconut cream frosting
1 - Chop the chocolate
- Start by finely chopping the white chocolate with a knife and a cutting board until you have very small pieces of chocolate.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium-sized bowl and add the vanilla extract and coconut flavor.
Tip: The higher the percentage of cocoa in your chocolate, the easier it is to melt.
2 - Melt the chocolate
- Heat the first part of the heavy cream in a saucepan until it simmers.
- Pour the hot cream all at once over the chopped white chocolate and let stand for a few moments before stirring with a soft spatula or wooden spoon to melt the chocolate.
Tip: If you have small pieces of chocolate that are having trouble melting, then place the mixture in a double boiler over a saucepan containing a little water and heat over medium heat until completely melted.
3 - Add cold cream
- Pour the cold heavy cream part into the melted chocolate mixture and immediately mix with a spatula to incorporate it.
- Add the coconut cream to the mixture and mix again with the spatula until you have a liquid ganache.
- Cover the coconut ganache with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 to 6 hours, until completely cooled (ideally overnight).
Tip: Use an immersion blender if necessary to smooth the ganache.
4 - Whip
- When the ganache is completely cool, place it in the mixing bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or in a large mixing bowl to whip with an electric mixer.
- Whip on medium speed (or slow) or about 2 to 3 minutes until it becomes a thick frosting with a fluffy texture.
- Immediately use the frosting to fill or decorate in a piping bag with a decorative tip on your cakes, or cover and place in the refrigerator.
Tip: Be careful not to over-whip it or the fat will separate and it will be greasy. Keep an eye on the texture and stop when the whisk leaves a lot of marks in the icing. (If you find it still too soft, whisk again for a few more moments to tighten the texture until the desired consistency)
What to do with this creamy frosting
You'll definitely want to eat it with a spoon 😋 it's so sweet, but here are some ideas for using the coconut cream frosting:
- Pipe decorations on cupcakes (here with 1B tip)
- Fill and decorate a Yule log
- Fill and smooth a layer cake
- Topping a coconut pie
- Serve with chocolate fondant
How about you? Feel free to share in the comments which recipe you used this ganache in 😉.
In the fridge: The coconut ganache can only be kept in the fridge for about 2 days, covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container box.
Once whipped, it must be used quickly because it loses its creamy texture if you handle it too much, so whip it at the last moment.
More frosting recipes
- Mascarpone frosting
- Chocolate mascarpone frosting
- Whipped chocolate ganache
- Milk chocolate ganache
- Swiss meringue buttercream
- Italian meringue buttercream
- Chocolate ganache
More coconut recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print