How to make the classic American buttercream recipe. It's everyone's favorite frosting for smoothing out cakes or piping cupcakes. The easiest recipe with a perfect smooth, fluffy and creamy consistency and only 2 ingredients to make it.
If you are looking for a vanilla buttercream recipe for your kid's birthday cake! You are at the right place! I give you the best and easiest recipe to fill and decorate your cake.The perfect ratio of butter and sugar for a light and fluffy texture. This is the favorite recipe of all American bloggers and I share with you everything you need to know to make this buttercream and to make it succeed.
Buttercream is a classic frosting recipe in the United States. It is often used to frost and decorate birthday cakes, cupcakes, layer cakes, cookies etc... In short on all kinds of pastries!
There are many other buttercream recipes, like the Swiss meringue buttercream or the Italian meringue buttercream. But this one is very popular all over the world because it is so simple and quick to make.
Made with only 2 ingredients, it takes only 10 minutes to make it. It is easy to handle and stable at room temperature. With its smooth, creamy and fluffy texture, it''s a perfect recipe for smoothing out a cake or decorating cupcakes with a piping bag and sleeves.
Best buttercream recipe
Here's why it's such a popular recipe around the world and why we love it so much:
- The easiest, fastest and most foolproof frosting!
- It is stable at room temperature! So perfect as a design cake, no fragile ingredients and can remain at room temperature without health risks.
- It keeps its shape for a long time! For decorated cookies, cupcake toppings and other decorations.
- Smooth texture! Great icing to perfectly smooth a cake.
- Perfect for piping the cupcakes and cookies.
Useful tools for this recipe
- A stand mixer,For the power of the mixer and to obtain a white cream. Use the paddle attachment and not the whisk.
- An electric mixer, preferably use always a stand mixer but for smaller quantities the electric mixer will do.
- Unsalted butter, softened at room temperature, the more butter is beaten the less yellow your buttercream will be.
- Sifted confectioners sugar, especially no powdered sugar to have a super smooth and soft cream in the mouth.
- Heavy cream, it's optional but the addition of the cream relaxes the cream, be careful not to put too much of it so as not to alter the texture too much. You can replace it with milk.
- Pure vanilla extract is the base to flavor this classic vanilla buttercream frosting recipe.
- Pinch of salt, a small pinch always to raise the taste of the buttercream.
How to make American buttercream
Start by placing the softened butter cut into pieces in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes until the butter is creamy and smooth.
Stop the mixer and then add the half of the sifted confectioner's sugar, the heavy cream or milk, the vanilla extract and the pinch of salt. Mix at slow speed to combine, then continue at high speed for about 5 minutes until you have a nice, fluffy white buttercream.
While leaving the mixer running at medium speed, add the rest of the confectioner's sugar gradually until the desired consistency is obtained.
To finish the recipe and just before using it, mix for about 2 minutes on medium speed to loosen and smooth it. (you can do this step by hand with a spatula)
How to store Buttercream
At room temperature
The good news is that the American buttercream can be stored for a long time at room temperature as it does not contain eggs. Put it in a container with a lid and store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
In the freezer
And it can be kept even longer in the freezer. Up to 3 months, placed in a conservation box with a lid.
To defrost, simply let it come back to the right temperature, either in the fridge or at room temperature.
Tips for a successful vanilla buttercream recipe
- Take the butter out of the fridge about 30 minutes before the recipe, it should be soft but not melted.
- Beat the butter for about 3 minutes until creamy (see photo).
- Sift the confectioner's sugar before adding it to the butter.
- Beat on high speed for at least 5 minutes to whiten the buttercream.
- Finish by mixing the buttercream on medium speed for 2 minutes to loosen it and make it smooth.
FAQS about Buttercream frosting
How to colour it easily ?
Yes, simply by adding at the end of the preparation of this recipe liquid dyes or gel preferably to obtain a well homogeneous color.
Can I flavour it?
Yes, and just by adding to your buttercream recipe :
- Food flavorings
- Fruit purée
- Unsweetened cocoa powder or melted semi-sweet chocolate
- Mixed cookies, oreo, speculoos, cookies
- Chocolate Chips
- Lemon or orange juice
On the other hand, in order not to change the texture of the cream, go gradually and count about 30-50 g for the quantities indicated below in the recipe.
My buttercream is full of air bubbles.
When whipping the buttercream, air is incorporated into it, which gives it a less smooth texture with small air bubbles painted over it. And to give it back its smoother texture, finish the preparation by mixing the buttercream for 2 minutes at medium speed with the paddle attachment.
And before using it, you can also smooth it with a soft spatula by spreading it over the edges of the vat.
Alternative frosting recipe to buttercream
If you are reluctant to use this cream, which is a rather greasy and sweet cream, then here are other glazes:
- Swiss Meringue Butter Cream icing
- Italian meringue buttercream recipe
- The cake cover ganache recipe
- Dark chocolate ganache recipe
I love to see your achievements 😉 So feel free to share your photos with me and tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my vegan chocolate chip cookies recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
Best vanilla buttercream frosting
- 170 g Butter - unsalted and softened
- 340 g confectioner's sugar - sifted
- 20 ml heavy cream - or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract - liquid
- 1 pinch salt
- Place the softened butter cut into pieces in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle and whisk at high speed for about 3 minutes until you obtain a smooth and creamy mixture.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the half of the sifted confectionner's sugar, the vanilla extract, salt and heavy cream.
- Then return the mixture to medium high and and mix for about 5 minutes until you have a thick, white cream.
- Add the other half of the confectioner's sugar gradually while letting the mixer run at medium speed until you get the desired buttercream texture
- Let the mixer run for an additional 2-3 minutes on low speed to smooth it out and reduce the incorporated air.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator.