The vanilla Sponge Cake or victoria's cake is a light and fluffy cake recipe, perfect for all your tiered cake creations.
What is the Sponge Cake?
Of English origin, the vanilla sponge is so easy and a perfect recipe for all your layer cakes.
Also called Victoria's cake, it is made with flour, egg and sugar, it has a very airy texture like a sponge, hence its name.
The "Sponge Cake" is THE basic Cake Design recipe for sugar dough covered cakes and it's the recipe you can't go wrong with!
This very trendy cake, with layers of sponge cakes, stacked and topped with ganache or whipped cream or jam.
Why choose the vanilla sponge cake
- It is quick and easy to prepare
- A soft sponge cake with the perfect texture for your cakes.
- This recipe is low in sugar!
My material for this recipe
- Cake pans PME or Wilton brand
- Bake spray
- Cake Tester
- Stand mixer
- Cake leveler
- A cake rack
- Vanilla Food Flavouring
How to make vanilla sponge cake
- Begin by placing the soft butter (be careful not cold) in the bowl of your stand mixer equipped with the whisk.
- Then add the sugar and vanilla extract and mix at high speed until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Then while leaving your mixer running, add the eggs one by one.
- And pass at high speed for 3 to 5 minutes until you obtain a homogeneous mixture that has doubled in volume.
- Finally reduce the speed of the stand mixer and incorporate the flour and salt.
- Continue mixing for another minute or so.
- Then pour the Sponge cake batter mixture into your round baking pan lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for the time indicated, check the baking time by dipping a knife or a cake tester in the center of your cakes, extend by a few minutes if necessary.
- Finally, let your cakes cool completely on a cake wire rack and cover them with cling film. (keep them at room temperature until assembly or in the fridge).
Store the vanilla sponge cake
Sponge cake sponge cake, can be stored at room temperature up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 3 months.
Others cakes recipes for layer cakes
- The molly cake
- The white cake
- White chocolate mud cake
- Chocolate sponge cake
Tips to make your Sponge cake a success
- Use eggs and butter at room temperature for a better texture of the dough and a nice height of your cake.
- Prepare your cakes 24 hours in advance before cutting and assembling them.
- Cut your cake cold, the cuts will be perfect and it will crumble less.
- Bake the dough in 2 cake moulds, weigh the whole preparation and divide it in 2.
- Add food flavorings after adding the eggs.
- Add color with food coloring, sugar confetti, chocolate chips, etc...
Sponge cake recipe video
Vanilla sponge cake
- 200 g Butter - at room temperature
- 100 g Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs - at room temperature
- 200 g Flour
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 320°F / 160°C and line with baking paper 2 cake moulds 6 inch/15 cm in diameter and 7 cm high
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, start beating the butter with the sugar and vanilla at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Then add the eggs one by one while continuing to mix your preparation between each addition.
- Sift your flour and add it to the mixture, add a pinch of salt and continue mixing at low speed for a few moments to obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour this mixture into your cake pan and put in the oven and bake for about 45-55 minutes.
- Check the baking of your cake with a baking tester or simply a knife, place your tester in the center of your cake, your cake is baked when the tester/knife comes out clean with no traces of dough.
- Allow your cakes to cool for a few minutes before carefully removing them from the mould, then let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Finally, wrap your cakes in cling film and keep them in the chill for a few hours before cutting or at room temperature.