The Molly Cake easy sponge cake recipe, soft and moist cake, perfect for a layer cake and sugar past covered cake.
Molly Cake perfect sponge cake
Molly cake is a soft sponge cake recipe that is both dense and light and not at all compact.
It is a Italian origin genoise composed of whipped cream instead of butter which gives it this melting and tasty texture.
And this perfect and delicious texture makes it a very popular cake in the world of cake design and tiered cakes.
Indeed it cuts very well and is perfect for sculpted cakes, but it is also solid for wedding cakes.
The perfect genoise for layer cakes
Indeed this cake is very much used to make layer cakes, sculpted cakes and sugar past covered cake.
That's why molly cake is a perfect base for all your birthday cakes!
Why choose molly cake
- It's ultra easy to do!
- It's super good!
- It has a perfect texture!
- It is not at all dry in the mouth so no need to soak it!
- It cuts perfectly for your layer cakes and cake design!
5 recipe ideas with sponge recipe
Also, it is a basic recipe hyper simple and fast to make, but especially that one can vary in perfumes.
- Add the flavor of your choice / ex: lemon juice and zest for a lemon molly cake.
- A chocolate version with cocoa powder / "the chocolate molly cake".
- A marbled version by mixing plain molly cake and chocolate molly cake.
- Cookie chunks such as oreos or biscoff cookies.
- Chocolate chips in the molly cake recipe.
Topping ideas to fill and smooth your cake
For filling the cake
- A whipped cream with mascarpone
- A fruit, raspberry, orange, lemon curd
- A fruit jam (but always in complement of a lighter cream)
- A buttercream. ( simply buttercream/meringue buttercream )
- A muslin cream like my version of the strawberry layer cake
For icing the outside of the cake
For a beautiful smoothing choose one of these cover glazes:
- The chocolate couverture ganache for a perfect smoothing
- A simple chocolate ganache
- A Swiss meringue buttercream
- Italian meringue butter cream
- American buttercream icing
Materials and ingredients for this recipe :
To make this special layer cake recipe you will need these ingredients:
- Eggs at room temperature
- White powdered sugar
- Baking powder
- Whole liquid cream with 30 % fat content
My material for this recipe:
- A stand mixer with whisk attachment
- A set of 2 round aluminum cake pans
- Cake release spray
- Cake Tester
- Cake leveler
- Cake rack
- You can use unrefined whole sugar instead of white sugar.
- You can reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe if it seems too sweet.
- Add powdered or liquid vanilla to the basic recipe.
- Use cold, full cream to whip up the whipped cream.
- Add a small pinch of salt to your preparation/ perfect as a flavour enhancer.
How to make Molly Cake sponge recipe ?
Make the cake batter
- Start by placing the eggs and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer, equipped with the whisk attachment.
- And beat at high speed for about 5 to 8 minutes. (The mixture will double in volume and whiten).
- Then during this time prepare the dry ingredients, mix them together in a bowl.
- While letting the mixer run at low speed, add the dry ingredients to the egg-sugar mixture.
- Then resume at high speed and mix until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous cake dough.
- And whip the whole liquid cream, which should be very cold, until you obtain a cream as thick as whipped cream.
- Finish by gently incorporating the whipped cream into the first mixture with a spatula.
- Finally, pour the preparation into an aluminium cake pans lined with baking paper for easy removal of the Molly Cake.
Bake the sponge cake
- Bake in the oven at 320°F / 160°C for about 45-50 minutes (low temperature and long baking time for best results).
- After 45 minutes, check the baking time with a cake tester or simply with the blade of a knife (Place it in the center to check that the cake is well baked, if it is, it comes out clean). If it comes out with traces of cake dough, then extend baking for another 5-10 minutes.)
- Once the baking is finished, let your cake cool for a few minutes in its mould.
- Then unmould and let it cool completely on a cake rack.
- Finally cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Then cut your cake very cold with a cake leveler or a cake knife.
How to store the sponge cake
Store molly cake up to 1 week at room temperature. Covered with cling film or in a storage box with an airtight lid.
Or you can store it for up to 3 months in the freezer by covering it with cling film or in a large storage bag.
Tips for a successful sponge cake
- Bake in a preheated oven at 320°F /160°C max for a soft and long cooking.
- Always line your cake tin with parchment paper using this technique "How to line a cake tin".
- Bake the cake dough in 2 times, either in two cake moulds or in the same mould / Best way to bake a sponge cake for perfect baking
- Use cold, full-fat liquid cream.
- Always use eggs at room temperature.
- Do not open the oven door during baking (to avoid having a hollow in the center of the cake).
- Check the baking with a cake tester (stick the tester in the center of the cake and it must come out clean, otherwise extend baking for 10 minutes).
- Let your cake cool at least 10 minutes in its mould before removing it from the mould.
- And let it cool completely on a cake rack, upside down to reduce cake bump.
- Always cut a molly cake cold to avoid crumbs and with a cake leveler.