Gingerbread snowflakes cookies, large flakes with a pretty royal icing decoration, is a perfect recipe for Christmas cookies.
Gingerbread Snowflakes Cookies
This gingerbread snowflakes cookies are both crunchy and melt-in-the-mouth, with a delicious aroma of Gingerbread spices.
Also, Gingerbread is simply a mix of spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger and cloves, a perfect combo to flavor all your Christmas cookies and desserts.
And to be enjoyed with a good hot chocolate and marshmallows, it is so comforting with this winter cold.
Why choose these Christmas cookies :
- It's a perfect recipe from the famous Martha Stewart,
- They are in xl format with the Wilton snowflake cookie cutter.
- Its blend of gingerbread spices is perfect to start the Christmas cookie season!
Ingredients for the Gingerbread Mixture
To make these delicious gingerbread flavoured cookies, you can use a ready-made gingerbread mix (gingerbread) or prepare it yourself by mixing these 4 spices:
In the realization of the gingerbread, another ingredient is also essential, it is :
How to make spice snowflake cookies
Preparation of the gingerbread cookie dough
- To start, mix together the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, salt and Gingerbread special spices.
- Then in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar for about 3 minutes,
- Stir in the eggs and molasses and mix until a homogeneous paste is obtained.
- Then incorporate the dry ingredients mixture and mix until you obtain a ball of dough.
- And divide the dough for the gingerbread cookies in 3 and wrap your dough balls in cling film.
- Then place them in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 6 mm and place it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Finally, using a snowflake cutter with a diameter of about 15-17 cm, cut out the snowflake shapes from your dough.
- Then place the cookies on a baking tray covered with baking paper or a silicone baking mat.
- And place your baking sheet in the freezer again for 15 minutes.
- Then bake them in the oven for the time indicated in the recipe sheet.
- Finally, let your cookies cool down.
Preparation of the royal icing
- First, place the sifted powdered sugar and egg whites in a bowl and mix with an electric hand mixer for about 7 minutes.
The mixture should be quite white, a little thick but still runny, a perfect texture to decorate your cookies with royal icing.
But if the mixture seems too runny, add powdered sugar in small quantities and mix again. If it seems too thick, add a few drops of water.
Then, keep your powdered sugar at room temperature until it's time to decorate your spice snowflake cookies.
Decorating the cookies with royal icing
- Start by placing the royal icing in a disposable pastry bag fitted with a tiny round 0, 1 or 2 tip and sprinkle with granulated sugar to add a snow effect to your cookies.
- Let your snowflakes dry for 1 hour at room temperature.
How to store the spiced snowflake cookies
Just like dry cookies, in a box with a tight lid for about 1 week or in the freezer for about 3 months.
Other Christmas cookies recipes
The homemade Royal Icing
Royal icing is a mixture of powdered sugar and egg white.
It is very much used to decorate cookies, cakes or to glaze small cakes!
Also the royal icing must be used with the right texture according to its use, if it's for writing, drawing, covering etc...
But here to decorate cookies, you will need a mixture neither too liquid nor too thick, so that you can easily pour from your piping bag without dripping and draw nice shapes on your cookies.
And add food coloring to color your royal icing for more fun cookies!