How to make Nutella Linzer cookies with this easy and delicious recipe. These little sandwich shortbread cookies are filled with a delicious Nutella spread and are perfect for any occasion.
Why you'll love this recipe
Make these homemade chocolate Linzer cookies, they are very delicious and much appreciated by children and adults alike with their sweet and nutty filling.
Sandwiched like Linzer cookies, these Nutella-filled shortbread cookies are made with only 2 ingredients, a soft shortbread dough, and a very flavorful hazelnut Nutella spread filling.
They are very easy to make at home, with a linzer cookie cutter set that allows you to cut out solid cookies and cookies with a hole in the center in the shape of a heart, star or flower that lets the greedy filling appear.
Nutella Linzer cookies are made for all occasions, especially during the holidays, such as Christmas, Easter, and birthday celebrations.
And you can easily replace the Nutella spread with another filling like strawberry or raspberry jam, a chocolate ganache, Biscoff butter spread, salted caramel, and more.
More shortbread and sugar cookies
Ingredients you need
*You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
- Butter: Preferably use unsalted butter, well softened, take it out in advance or warm it slightly in the microwave.
- Sugar: White powdered sugar, which can be replaced by granulated sugar or flavored sugar like brown sugar or cane sugar (but the shortbread will have a darker color)
- Eggs: at room temperature, let them rest a little in a bowl of hot water if you didn't have time to take them out in advance.
- Flour: Use white wheat all-purpose flour.
- Yeast: Optional, baking powder gives a more soft texture and makes the cookies a bit puffy.
- Vanilla and salt: Essential to flavor the recipe and bring out all the flavors.
Chocolate hazelnut spread
Chocolate hazelnut Nutella spread that you can easily replace with any other spread, such as Biscoff cookie butter spread, peanut butter or strawberry jam, raspberry jam or lemon curd.
How to make Chocolate hazelnut linzer cookies
Sugar cookie dough
- In a large bowl, place softened unsalted butter with powdered sugar and mix with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes until creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix again to incorporate.
- Finish with the dry ingredients, flour, salt, and baking powder (optional), and continue mixing with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gather the linzer cookie dough with your hands to form a smooth ball and cover it with plastic wrap before letting it rest in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
Cut out the cookies
- Roll out the shortbread dough with a rolling pin on a lightly floured work surface or between 2 sheets of parchment paper to a thickness of 3 - 4mm.
- Cut out pieces of dough using a Linzer cookie cutter set (2 cut-outs to form a shortbread sandwich)
- Place the shortbread cutouts on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 340°F / 170°C and prepare a large baking sheet lined with baking paper or silicone baking sheet (Silpat).
- Place the cut-outs of shortbread cookies well spaced out on the prepared baking sheet to prevent them from sticking together during baking.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes until they are lightly browned on the edges.
- Allow the shortbreads to cool slightly on the baking sheet before carefully moving them to a cooling rack to let them cool completely.
Chocolate Nutella filling
- Fill a small pastry bag with the Chocolate hazelnut Nutella spread.
- Place a small dab of spread in the center of the full shortbread cookie (without the hole in the center).
- Cover with the other shortbread cookie with the hole in the middle and press lightly to spread the filling evenly in the center of the shortbread.
- Place the chocolate linzer cookies in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to firm up the filling before eating.
Other filling ideas
Here are some sweet filling ideas to replace the spread in your Nutella cookies or to decorate them:
- Salted caramel sauce
- Chocolate ganache
- Kinder bar ganache
- Raspberry or lemon curd
- Fruit jam, strawberries, apricots, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries
- Coconut spread, Biscoff butter spread, peanut butter, almond butter, etc.
- Coat with melted chocolate
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top
Conservation and Freeze
At room temperature: You can store Nutella Shortbread sandwich cookies at room temperature, placed in an airtight container box away from humidity for about 1 week.
How do I freeze them? Store these Nutella linzer cookies in the freezer when filled, or just the cooled shortbread cookies in a storage box or plastic bag for up to 3 months.
Tips for this recipe
- Decoration with Powdered Sugar: After assembling the Nutella Linzer cookies, you can sprinkle powdered sugar on top for a decorative touch. Use a fine-mesh sieve to achieve an even dusting.
- Watch the Baking Time: Be cautious not to overbake the shortbread cookies. They are done when the edges are slightly golden but the centers are still a bit soft. They will firm up as they cool, so don't worry if they seem slightly undercooked at first.
- Chill the Dough: Place the rolled-out cookie dough in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes before using cookie cutters. This will help maintain the dough's shape and make it easier to handle.
- Quick Rolling: For a faster process, roll out the cookie dough between two sheets of parchment paper, then place it in the freezer for 15 minutes before cutting. This method saves time and ensures even cookies.
- Nutella and Raspberry Linzer cookies: Instead of using just Nutella, combine it with raspberry jam for a classic Linzer flavor with a fruity twist.
- Peanut Butter Linzer cookies: With creamy peanut butter for a delightful nutty filling.
- Nutella and Salted Caramel: Add a drizzle of salted caramel sauce to your Nutella filling for a sweet and salty contrast.
- Nutella and Espresso: Mix finely ground espresso or coffee powder into the Nutella for a coffee-flavored twist.
- Nutella and Berries: Top the Nutella with fresh berries like strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries for a burst of fruity goodness.
- Nutella and White Chocolate: Drizzle melted white chocolate over the Nutella for an extra layer of sweetness.
- Almond linzer cookies: add almond flour or hazelnut powder to the dough for a nutty flavor.
More Nutella recipes
Vous avez aimé cette recette ?
Merci de me laisser une note de 5 ⭐️ et votre avis en commentaire ! Et ne manquer pas mes nouvelles recettes en suivant @sweetlycakes sur Instagram et taguez-moi pour partager vos réalisations 😊 !Print