Linzer cookies, a quick and easy recipe for homemade cookies made with a delicious shortbread dough, they are super melting and filled with strawberry jam.
Easy Linzer cookies recipe
These small linzer cookies, are delicious and super easy to make, like sandwich cookies and fill with fruit jam or other filling of your choice.
Indeed these shortbread cookies are very trendy, made with a special Linzer cookie cutters, which contains a special cutter that cuts the cookie but also the center of the cookie in the shape of your choice, a heart, a star, a square or a simple circle.
And this little hole lets you see the inside filling of the cookie, you can choose to fill your cookies with :
- Jam, strawberry, raspberry, apricot, blueberries ...
- Dark, milk or white chocolate ganache.
- A chocolate spread like Nutella
- An almond butter, coconut butter or peanut butter.
- A praline paste
- A salted butter caramel
My materials for this recipe
How to make the Linzer cookies recipe
Make the shortbread dough
- Start by placing the dry ingredients, flour, almond meal, icing sugar and salt in a container.
- Then add the soft butter cut into pieces and rub the preparation between your hands until you get a sandy texture.
- Then incorporate the eggs and mix with a wooden spoon to start and then to blend and finish the mixture with your hands until you form a homogeneous ball of dough.
- Finish by covering the dough with cling film and place in the fridge for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
Shaping the linzer cookies
- First of all, take the shortbread dough out of the fridge and on a floured worktop roll out the dough with a rolling pin to a thickness of about 3 mm. (you can roll out the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper)
- Then cut out the shortbread dough using a special linzer cookies cutter.
- And with with the same linzer cookies cutter remove the center on half of the shortbread, to obtain a shortbread cookie for the bottom and a shortbread cookie with a hole in the center for the top.
- Finish by placing your shortbread cookies on a baking tray covered with baking paper or a silicone baking mat.
- And place your shortbread cookies in the freezer for 10 minutes to preheat the oven.
Cooking the cookies
- Remove the shortbread cookies from the freezer.
- And bake them in the oven for the time indicated in the recipe sheet below.
- At the exit of the oven the shortbread cookies still remains fragile but they will harden while cooling, let them cool a few minutes on the baking tray before moving them.
Assembly of the shortbread linzer cookies
- Start by placing the jam of your choice in a pastry bag.
- And garnish the center of the shortbread cookies full.
- Then cover with the shortbread cookies that have a hole in the center.
- Finish by sprinkling powdered sugar on your linzer cookies.
How to store the linzer cookies
Shortbread linzer cookies filling with jam can be stored in the fridge for 1 week and shortbread cookies alone can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Christmas cookies
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print