How to make white chocolate-filled sandwich cookies with this easy and delicious recipe. These shortbread cookies are soft and flavored with hazelnut and a delicious white chocolate ganache filling.
Shortbread sandwich cookies
You won't be able to resist a second one of these little hazelnut-flavored shortbread cookies filled with a delicious white chocolate ganache.
This recipe is only composed of 2 preparations, a homemade shortbread dough made with hazelnut flour and a delicious white chocolate ganache filling.
These chocolate sandwich cookies are very easy to make at home and are perfect for any occasion, a simple snack for the kids or for special occasions.
Ingredients and substitutions
Here is an overview of the ingredients you will need and possible substitutions to make this white Chocolate Filled Cookies recipe, scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Flour: Use white wheat all-purpose flour.
- Powdered sugar: Fine sugar like powdered sugar, which you can replace with caster sugar or flavoring sugar like brown sugar or cassonade (cane sugar).
- Hazelnut flour: To flavor the shortbread, you can replace the hazelnut meal with other nut powders such as almond flour.
- Salt: A pinch of salt is essential to bring out all the flavors.
- Butter: Use cold, unsalted, and softened butter.
- Egg: A large egg at room temperature.
- Chocolate: here use high-quality baking white chocolate if possible for a less sweet taste, or white chocolate chips, you can replace it with semi-sweet chocolate or milk chocolate.
- Cream: Use only full-fat heavy cream with at least 30% fat.
- Option: You can add crushed hazelnuts or almonds to the ganache to give it more flavor and crunch.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make shortbread sandwich cookies filled with white chocolate ganache
1 - Shortbread dough
- Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl, flour, hazelnut meal, powdered sugar and salt.
- Add the chopped and cold unsalted butter and mix between your fingers until you get a sandy texture.
- Then add the egg and mix with your hands until the dough comes together in a homogeneous ball without kneading it too much.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
Tip: To go faster you can immediately roll out the dough with a rolling pin between 2 sheets of parchment paper and place it in the freezer for 10 minutes before making your cuts.
2 - Cut-outs
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin on a flour work surface or between 2 sheets of baking paper to a thickness of 3-4 mm.
- Cut out rounds with a cookie cutter about 5 cm in diameter.
- Place the pieces of dough on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place the baking sheet with the cut-outs shortbread in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
Tip: Let the rolled-out dough rest in the freezer for a few minutes to make it easier to cut out with a cookie cutter and get nice round shapes.
3 - Baking
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Arrange the shortbread cookies on a baking sheet lined with baking paper or a silicone baking sheet (silpat), making sure to space them 5 cm apart to prevent them from sticking during baking.
- Bake the shortbread cookies in the oven on the middle shelf for about 10 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
- Allow shortbread cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheet before moving them to a cooling rack.
Tip: Be careful not to overcook them or they will be too dry in the mouth, they are ready when they are still a little soft in the center, they will firm up as they cool.
4 - White chocolate ganache
- Place the white chocolate and the heavy cream in a medium bowl.
- Melt them in a double boiler or in the microwave until you obtain a smooth and liquid ganache.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until completely cooled.
5 - Assembly
- Fill a pastry bag with the cooled and firm white chocolate ganache.
- Fill the center of a cookie (like a macaron).
- Then cover with a second cookie and press lightly to flatten the chocolate ganache.
- Finally, place your chocolate sandwich cookies in the fridge for a few minutes to harden the ganache.
- Enjoy with a good latte.
In the fridge: You can keep the shortbread filled with chocolate ganache in the fridge in a storage box or under plastic wrap for 1 week.
At room temperature: You can also store them at room temperature, placed in an airtight container box up to 1 week.
Freezing: Store shortbread alone or filled in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let them thaw gently out of the freezer.
More filling ideas
You can easily replace the white chocolate ganache by another filling, here are some great ideas:
- Salted caramel sauce
- Nutella spread or my homemade healthy chocolate-nut spread
- Dark chocolate ganache or milk chocolate ganache
- Almond butter, peanut butter or coconut butter…
- Homemade praline paste
- Snowflakes cookies
- Snickerdoodle cookies
- Gingerbread Man cookies
- Chocolate Crinkles cookies
- Spritzgebäck german spritz cookies
- Iced gingerbread cookies
- Linzer cookies with jam
- Mini gingerbread house
- Nutella Linzer Cookies
- Soft & chewy M&M cookies
More white chocolate recipes
- White chocolate truffles
- Coconut balls
- White chocolate ganache
- Coconut truffles
- Oreo white chocolate fudge
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print