How to make homemade peanut butter? All the flavour of peanuts in a smooth and creamy spread!
A very simple recipe with only 1 ingredient "the peanut" and nothing else, no added sugar or fat! A recipe that will cost you less than the commercial one.
Surely you must know peanut butter? This paste is so tasty with the good taste of peanut, so delicious and creamy that it is an addictive food.
So if you want to learn how to make it yourself, I'll show you how, and by the way, I'll detail all the benefits of peanut butter.
Peanut butter, also known as peanut puree, is a peanut-based spread of American origin, smooth, creamy and so flavorfull paste.
It is a super creamy and tasty preparation with a more or less smooth texture depending on the recipe.
It is most frequently used as a spread on bread and sometimes combined with jam. But it is more and more in fashion as the almond butter, consumed above all for its taste and also for its nutritional benefits that I detail below.
Natural peanut butter
It is easily found on supermarket shelves, with a crunchy texture, chocolate etc... Just as delicious, they often contain added sugar, palm oil and other not very healthy ingredients.
All the more reason to make your own homemade natural peanut butter. It contains only peanuts, no added sugar, no added fat and will cost you much less than commercially available peanut butter.
What to do with the peanut puree
So apart from eating it with a spoon, here are some ideas to eat this spread:
- To replace butter in some recipes like cookies, cakes and brownies.
- As a spread on slices of wholemeal bread.
- In a savoury dish such as chicken with peanuts.
- In a Keto or Healthy recipe.
Benefits of peanut butter
Peanut butter is caloric and fat like butter. Yes but it is good fat! Essential to the organism, it's all about knowing how to keep a light hand!
- Rich in lipids, unsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids (good fat for heart health).
- Source of vegetable proteins, widely used in the Vegan diet to replace meat and fish.
- Source of potassium, magnesium and fiber.
- Full of vitamins including vitamin E which improves the immune system and prevents cardiovascular disease.
- Perfect gluten-free for people with gluten intolerance.
Useful tools to make this recipe
- A food processor or a powerful blender as it will run for a long time to mix very finely.
- Baking tray, for roasting peanuts or oven.
- Parchment paper
- Peanuts, raw, unsalted and unsweetened without the skin.
How to make homemade peanut butter
- Roast the peanuts on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and place them in a preheated oven at 302°F / 150°c for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Allow the dry roasted peanuts to cool for a few minutes before proceeding to the mixing stage.
- Blend the peanuts to the bowl of a food processor or blender at maximum speed. Let the blender run in 2 minute increments and scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Continue this way until a smooth dough is obtained.
- Transfer the peanut butter into a glass jar with a lid.
How to Store Peanut butter
Homemade peanut purée can be kept for a very long time at room temperature or in the fridge. Place it in an airtight glass container preferably and it should be consumed within 6 months.
Peanut butter video
Tips for making homemade peanut butter a success
Use a powerful food processor or blender to reduce the peanuts first to powder and then to a very fine paste. This step takes at least 10 minutes and the blender will run long enough and to avoid overheating the peanuts you need to make breaks of a few moments every 2 minutes or so.
Use organic peanuts, preferably unsalted, unsweetened and skinless. For a tasty dough you can roast the peanuts in the oven or grill them in a frying pan.
Beware of quantities, if you make this recipe with a large amount, made according to your blender. start by incorporating a small amount and when it how to form a paste incorporate another small amount
Add natural sugar, for that choose your sugar, like honey or maple syrup and add it in the blender with the peanuts.
Add spices to flavor your peanut butter, such as cinnamon.
For a crunchier butter, then simply stop a little earlier, when the texture is more
Add melted dark chocolate to make a more indulgent version of chocolate peanut butter.
Other recipes for homemade butter and spread
Don't forget to tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make this homemade peanut butter recipe and to add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
How to make peanut butter
- 300 g Peanuts - raw, unsalted and skinless
- Start by preheating the oven to 150°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place the peanuts spread over the entire surface of the baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for about 10-15 minutes.
- Then let the peanuts cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the peanuts into the blender and blend at maximum speed in 2 minute increments until a smooth, homogeneous spread is obtained.
- Transfer the dough to a glass jar with a lid and store at room temperature.