How to make peanut butter at home with only 1 ingredient roasted peanuts. A delicious spread made from roasted peanuts, with no added sugar or fat and perfect in all your sweet and savory recipes.
Homemade peanut butter
Homemade nut butter is certainly everyone's favorite spread after Nutella! It's a creamy nut-based spread, so tasty and addictive that you can quickly eat peanut butter with a spoon.
But the most amazing thing is that to make homemade peanut butter you only need one ingredient, unsalted peanuts, and a powerful blender to turn them into a creamy paste.
Very popular in the world, peanut butter flavors all our delicious sweet baked goods recipes but also in savory recipes, which makes it a very liked paste and a must-have in our kitchen cupboards.
Raw peanut butter
Making your own peanut butter is also a guarantee of having natural peanut butter, as very often in regular peanut butter store-bought peanut butter we find added sugars, extra fat, additives and preservatives.
For making peanut butter you only need raw peanuts, in which we can also add other ingredients for more flavor, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, natural sugar like honey or maple sugar, good fats and more.
And an extra reason to make it yourself is the price, by preparing it yourself it will cost you much less than those found in the shops.
Here is the simple composition to make this easy recipe for homemade peanut butter and the possible substitutions or ingredients to flavor it, scroll down the page to see the quantities.
Peanuts: Use preferably shelled peanuts, raw, neither salted nor caramelized.
- Add sugar: For a softer, sweeter spread, preferably add a natural sugar, such as honey or maple syrup.
- For a smooth texture: Add a neutral vegetable fat, such as coconut oil or hazelnut oil.
- Nuts mix : Mix with almond butter, or add almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, and cashews.
- Chocolate: Add melted chocolate, chocolate chips, or few tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder for a chocolate peanut butter version.
- Salt: sea salt is perfect to bring out all the flavors.
- Spices: Like ground cinnamon.
- Vanilla: Add pure vanilla extract, perfect for adding a delicious vanilla flavor.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
High in calories and fat like butter. Yes but it's good fat! Essential to the organism, it's all about knowing how to keep a light hand!
- Rich in lipids, unsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids (good fat for heart health).
- Source of vegetable proteins, widely used in the Vegan diet to replace meat and fish.
- Source of potassium, magnesium, and fiber.
- Full of vitamins including vitamin E which improves the immune system and prevents cardiovascular disease.
- Perfect gluten-free for people with gluten intolerance.
How to make creamy Peanut Butter recipe
- Roast the peanuts on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and place them in a preheated oven at 300°F / 150°C for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Allow the dry roasted peanuts to cool for a few minutes before proceeding to the mixing stage.
- Blend the peanuts into the bowl of a food processor or blender at high speed. Let the blender run in 2 minutes increments and scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Continue this way until a smooth paste is obtained.
- Transfer the peanut butter into a glass jar with a lid.
Tip: You can also add a little honey, maple sugar to sweeten and a pinch of sea salt.
How to have a crunchy pb
To make crunchy peanut butter, it's the same process then for the creamy pb version.
You'll just have to stop the food processor when the texture is similar to my picture below with still remaining chunks of peanuts visible.
But you can also simply add crushed peanuts to the peanut butter mixture to add more texture.
How to use PB
- On toast, buns, waffles, crepes, pancakes and shortbread.
- To make homemade granola
- As a topping for bread, cake, cheesecake.
- To flavor icing, buttercream, whipped cream, and ganache.
- To flavor cookies, muffins, cupcakes, brownies
Frequently Asked Questions
It can be kept for a very long time at room temperature or in the fridge. Place it in an airtight glass container preferably and it should be consumed within 6 months.
Eating a small amount and not every day is a healthy and good source of fat for your organism.
If it is homemade with only peanuts yes it is totally vegan, unlike some commercial brands that may add animal products.
Use preferably raw peanuts, without added salt or sugar.
Homemade peanut butter can be stored for up to 3 months in the refrigerator or at room temperature in a glass jar with a lid.
Room temperature: Homemade peanut butter can be stored at room temperature in a glass jar with a lid for about 3 months.
In the fridge: You can also keep it in the fridge, its texture may firm up in the cold but you can warm it up slightly in the microwave before using it.
Freeze: It can also be kept in the freezer for up to 3 to 6 months.
Peanut butter recipes
- Peanut butter brownies
- Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- No bake peanut butter Energy balls
- Peanut butter cups
More nut butters and fillings
- Raw almond butter
- Brown butter
- Salted caramel sauce
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Chocolate hazelnut spread
- Praline paste
- Lemon curd
- Strawberry compote
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print