How to make these homemade peanut butter cups with only 3 ingredients. This popular recipe of the famous Reese's peanut butter cups but in a more natural and healthy version but just as greedy.
Reese's peanut butter cups
These little bites of homemade Reese's peanut butter cups are just as tasty but in a very natural and healthy version.
Everything we love about peanut butter cups, crunchy dark chocolate with a tasty peanut butter heart, a blend that promises an explosion of flavor in your mouth.
These homemade peanut butter cups are no-bake and are made with only 3 ingredients, dark chocolate, natural peanut butter, and a natural liquid sugar like honey.
For this healthy peanut butter cups recipe, I make my own peanut butter and make it a little crunchy for texture, but the recipe also works with store-bought peanut butter and you can even replace it with almond butter or raspberry puree.
The perfect combination of dark chocolate and peanut butter in these homemade candy but in a healthy and very yummy version, which makes me want to have a second one.
Ingredients and substitutions
To make these little homemade peanut butter cups treats, all you need is a cupcake pan or simply baking cups or silicone liners.
Chocolate: Use preferably baking chocolate bars or chocolate chips, it melts better and faster and if you have time to temper it your shells will be more solid and shiny.
You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips like 54% or 60%, and replace it with milk chocolate or white chocolate.
Peanut butter layer
- Peanut butter: If you have homemade nut butter use it, otherwise use commercial peanut butter without sugar.
- Natural sugar: Honey, maple syrup for vegan or another liquid sugar of your choice like agave syrup. (if you don't have any of this then use powdered sugar instead)
- Fleur de sel: This is optional but the little pinch of fleur de sel brings out the full flavor of the chocolate.
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make the peanut butter cups
1 - Peanut butter mixture
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter with the liquid sugar, honey or maple syrup
- Then mix with a spoon until you get a smooth and creamy mixture.
Tip: If your peanut butter does not seem smooth enough and has a too compact texture you can add coconut oil to make it more liquid rather than melted butter.
2- Melt the chocolate
- Cut or finely chop the dark chocolate and place in a medium bowl.
- Melt it in a double boiler over medium heat in a saucepan containing a little water, stirring until it is completely melted.
Tip: You can use the microwave to melt the chocolate, place the chocolate pieces in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat in 20-second increments until melted.
3 - Fill the cases
- Place paper cups in a cupcake pan.
- Add a small amount of melted chocolate to the bottom of the cupcake cases to make a layer of about 3 mm.
- Add the peanut butter filling on top of the melted chocolate layer.
- Cover completely the peanut butter layer with an additional layer of the remaining chocolate.
- Immediately place in the freezer for 15 minutes until peanut butter cups are completely chilled.
- Remove each cupcakes liners with peanut butter cup and enjoy.
Tip: You can place them in the freezer for 10 minutes to set the first layer of chocolate, especially if you use a filling that has a very smooth texture.
Room temperature: Homemade peanut butter cups can also be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or in a glass jar for several weeks.
In the freezer: As they keep very well and for a long time out of the refrigerator you don't need to freeze homemade peanut butter cups
More chocolate or truffles
More chocolate & peanut butter recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print