How to make an easy chocolate fudge recipe with only 3 ingredients, chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. This recipe is quick and easy to make, for tender chocolate fudge perfect for gift giving during the Christmas holidays.
Homemade Chocolate fudge is a small confectionery very popular in the United States mainly made of chocolate with a tender and fondant texture and a very chocolatey taste.
To obtain these old fashioned fudge recipes we use mainly 2 ingredients: semi sweet chocolate and sweetened condensed milk to which butter can be added for a more creamiest fudge texture.
More chocolate than candy, these small squares of chocolate fudge can be made with all types of chocolate, dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, and even with white chocolate.
There are different chocolate fudge recipes, each one as greedy as the other, we can add ingredients that bring a crunchy texture and more flavors, like nuts, dried fruits, or chopped cookies.
This easy fudge recipe is very easy to make at home, all you need is a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, and no candy thermometer is needed for these small treats, perfect to offer for Christmas or Valentine's Day or simply to treat your loved ones.
>> More recipes for homemade candies and chocolates
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chocolate: Use baking semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate bars bars with 54% cocoa butter or bittersweet chocolate at 60% .
- Condensed milk: Use sweetened condensed milk which you must differentiate from evaporated milk which has a less creamy texture.
- Butter: Add softened unsalted butter as an option, but it gives an even creamier texture.
- Salt: A pinch of fleur de sel to bring out the full flavor.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract for flavor.
- Chopped nuts: Peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, macadamias.
- Dried fruits: Dried raisins, red fruits, raspberries, strawberries, coconuts flakes and much more.
- Cookies: oreo pieces, cookies, speculoos, candy canes, sprinkles.
- Flavoring: almond extract, orange, lemon, peppermint extract
- Spread: Peanut butter, Nutella, almond butter, etc.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make chocolate fudge
1 - Mix the ingredients
- Place finely chopped chocolate with sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl.
- Optionally, add vanilla extract and a pinch of fleur de sel.
Tip: Chop the chocolate finely with a knife so that it melts more easily and quickly.
2 - Cooking
- Heat the saucepan with the ingredients over medium heat while stirring until smooth.
- Add butter and mix with a spatula to incorporate it.
Tip: In the microwave, heat in 30 second increments and mix well with a spatula until smooth.
3 - Allow to cool
- Pour the chocolate fudge mixture into a large 8-inch/20 cm square prepared pan lined with parchment paper for easy removal from the pan.
- Smooth the top quickly with an angled spatula.
- Cover the cake pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours.
Tip: For those in a rush, you can place the cake pan in the freezer to cool the chocolate fudge more quickly.
4 - Cut out
- Cut completely cooled chocolate fudge into small squares with a large knife.
- Carefully unmold each piece and place fudge in an airtight container with a lid.
- Sprinkle some fleur de sel or chopped nuts on top and enjoy.
At room temperature: Chocolate fudge can be stored at room temperature for several weeks in a storage box with a tight-fitting lid and protected from moisture.
Freeze: And you can also store this fudge recipe in the freezer for up to 3 months in a can or storage bag. Let them come back to room temperature slowly.
Questions About Fudge
Fudge is traditionally made with 3 main ingredients, chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and butter.
To have a more creamy and fondant texture in mouth we use rather sweetened condensed milk which has a thicker and creamy texture than the evaporated milk which is more liquid like milk.
More chocolate and truffles
- Chocolate truffles
- Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies dough truffles
- No bake energy balls
- Oreo fudge
- White chocolate truffles
- Healthy peanut butter cups
- Hot chocolate bomb recipe
- Oreo Fudge