How to make the star bread recipe, an original shape, with a soft bread and a delicious chocolate filling. Follow my recipe in video and step by step to make this easy and comforting dessert to prepare with the kids.
Why you'll love this recipe
The star bread recipe is a delicious homemade brioche to prepare for the holiday brunch with the kids.
With an original shape that reminds of a snowflake or a star, it is a comforting dessert and perfect to face the winter cold!
Even if it looks intimidating, you'll be amazed at how quick and easy it is to make. And it's a very easy, family-friendly dessert to share with your loved ones over a nice homemade hot chocolate.
But here this bun is simply filled with a delicious chocolate sauce and can easily be replaced with Nutella, jam or why not in a savory version with tomato sauce, pesto or fresh cheese and fresh herbs.
More Chocolate Brioches
How to make the Star Bread recipe
Make the brioche dough
- Follow the Brioche recipe (recipe card) by first rehydrating the instant baker's yeast in warm milk and letting it sit for about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the dough hook, mix together all the ingredients, flour, melted butter, powdered sugar, salt, egg yolks and the milk and yeast mixture.
- Let the dough rise for 1h30 - 2 hours until it doubles in volume.
- Degas the dough on a work surface and cut into 4 equal sized balls.
Tip: For a savoury bread variation, simply remove the sugar from the list of ingredients.
- Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin to about 10 inch / 25 cm in diameter on parchment paper.
Tip: Prepare all the bread disks in advance and let them rest in the fridge until assembly.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl, chopped chocolate, powdered sugar, softened butter and cocoa powder.
- Melt in a microwave or double boiler until liquid and smooth.
Setting up the snowflake
- Apply a layer of chocolate filling on a first disc of dough and cover with another disc.
- Repeat for the third disc and cover with the fourth and final disc of dough.
How to cut the snowflake
- Mark the center with a small bowl or glass, just to have a mark to limit cutting.
- With a large knife, cut the round of dough into 4 quarters without going over the center mark.
- Cut each quarter in half again to make 8 pieces, then cut again to make 16 strips.
Twist the Brioche
- Wrap a strip of dough around itself twice (see image or video) and alternate the direction of the twist for each strip.
- Finish by welding the ends together to form a star shape.
- Let it rise at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 347°F / 175°C.
- After the second rise apply a layer of gilding with the remaining egg white and a pastry brush.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until you have a golden crust.
- Let cool slightly before serving with a sprinkling of confectioner's sugar.
Topping ideas for your bread
This delicious brioche can be filled with all sorts of sweet and savory toppings. I've made a list with some ideas of fillings to replace the chocolate sauce, you'll just have to be careful with the quantities to avoid the filling escaping during handling or during baking.
- Homemade chocolate hazelnut spread
- An almond filling cream (easy frangipane)
- A pastry cream
- Fruit (apples, raspberries, pears)
- Homemade chocolate chips
- Homemade cinnamon applesauce
If you love brioches
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print